• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Conversion To Vvti

Bugatti

Hi All,

I'm thinking of coverting my BJ5W Mazda engine to VVTi... (sounds crazy...?? I know)

I have sourced out the necessary parts, ECU, Wire harness and VVTi unit.. is there any major point that I should be concerned about? Is this kind of thing recommended..?

What issues would I encounter during/after the conversion..?

The operation will be carried out at my usual garage, by a knowledgeable guy in auto electronics.

Need your expert advice..

MFOC Members: Expecting something from you guys

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am not the best person to give you a good answer. But my knowledge is that the whole car electronics has some play in the VVT conversion. so you will probably have to replace ECT, TCU, VVT value and mechanism attached to the CAM. I drive a Mazda BJ5P 1.5L with a VVT engine, it looks little different from the usual 1.5L engine, throttle body exaust manifold etc and the O2 sensoer position. Mine does not have a EGR valve but i think it is handled by exhaust valve timing.

Hi All,

I'm thinking of coverting my BJ5W Mazda engine to VVTi... (sounds crazy...?? I know)

I have sourced out the necessary parts, ECU, Wire harness and VVTi unit.. is there any major point that I should be concerned about? Is this kind of thing recommended..?

The operation will be carried out at my usual garage, by a knowledgeable guy in auto electronics.

What do u expect from the swap?

I don’t think you have realized the gravity of the thought project. Its much much serious than you ever imagined. Never straightforward upon changing few pieces like the cited ECU, Wire harness and VVTi unit.

You may have to replace the GB control box or maybe the whole gearbox. For sure you need a Cylinder head replacement. Matching the control box is never a technicians favourite task.AFAIK modern engine interchanges are more like human organ transplant. Always frail and rejectable.

The failure rate on add-ons delivering the expectations is for sure high. I don’t think no one would undertake such a task.IMHO it’s a waste of money and time. Just calculate the cost involved..you can buy a complete VVTi engine and a gearbox easily than kicking off a fanatical project.Or maybe a good VVti car.If still not convinced try same on an older car yet I wouldn’t try the same…

MINIACE

Thanks all for the comments..

To answer the questions:

1. What I expect from the change - Better throttle response

2. I haven't paid for the parts, My garage guy brought down a VVTi engine for spares. (except for the gear box)

3. Do you guys think that a complete engine swap would work..?

3. I know it's easy to go out there and buy a VVTi equipped car, but I thought the conversion was easier.. now that I read the comments, I will think again. :)

Edited by Bugatti

Thanks all for the comments..

To answer the questions:

1. What I expect from the change - Better throttle response

2. I haven't paid for the parts, My garage guy brought down a VVTi engine for spares. (except for the gear box)

3. Do you guys think that a complete engine swap would work..?

3. I know it's easy to go out there and buy a VVTi equipped car, but I thought the conversion was easier.. now that I read the comments, I will think again. :)

My suggestion is also to not tamper with your current ride Bugs.

Get an old Mazda 323 and do the conversion for that. Sheep in wolfs clothing....... :rolleyes:

Can even use it to scare the boys at the MFOC lol.

BTW (off topic sorry ) : we really need a MFOC event / fellowship :alc: session soon.

Hi All,

I also do not see this as an easy task.

Only Mazda BJ5P GS,RX ,RS models (sedan) & BJ5W RS have this in ZL-VE Engines ,when correctly say, SVT (Sequential Valve Timing - Not exactly VVTi) .

These cars of Japanese domestic were available in Sri Lanka in very less quantities. May be due to higher original/resale price in SVTs. Most of the sellers imported BJ5 with ZL-DE engines.

The pdftown link relates to US Model of BJ , the engine is completely differernt from Japanese versions.

Decision is yours!

Edited by Rohnd

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

After many months of contemplating... I finally got down to do what I thought was possible conversion to VVTi (SVT in Mazda language)

The project commenced at 13:25 on 01st October, and concluded at 20:30 on 02nd October. It took three people (including me) 19 Hrs to complete the job (including breaks). The new engine is a ZL-VE.

Did couple of test drive today n it works fine..

The mechanical part was simple and straightforward, but the wiring and electronics took most of the time.

All components were courtesy M A Z N A - M O T O R S and brought down from Singapore.

Below are some pictures of the process...

- The stock engine

stockengine1.th.jpg

- Stock head comes off

dismantling1.th.jpg

- The replacement wire harness

replacementwireharness.th.jpg

- Minus the stock head

stockblock.th.jpg

- The new SVT head

newhead.th.jpg

- New head and valves

newheadandvalves.th.jpg

- The two exhausts, side by side. New one on the left

twoexhausts.th.jpg

- New head in place

completenewhead.th.jpg

- Completion of mechanical work

dsc06004.th.jpg

- The place it all happened

theplaceitallhappened.th.jpg

Gotta hit the bed now. Need to go to Millennium drive tomorrow, for additional test runs. :D

Edited by Bugatti

Congrats Mate! :food-smiley-004: U got more than just "better throttle response". New 40 horsies treatin ya good.

Can we declare this as the the first or the only BJ5W VVTi conversion. :rolleyes:

How about a test drive on Sunday. Give me a ring when ur at Millenium drive.

@ SpEeD FrEak - thats a fuel pressure regulator. Ohhh u only saw the surface mate. U'll find many more :action-smiley-088:

ZOOM ZOOM Bugatti :alc:

Congrats Mate! :food-smiley-004: U got more than just "better throttle response". New 40 horsies treatin ya good.

Can we declare this as the the first or the only BJ5W VVTi conversion. :rolleyes:

@ SpEeD FrEak - thats a fuel pressure regulator. Ohhh u only saw the surface mate. U'll find many more :action-smiley-088:

Thanks GuruG...I saw a Voltage Stab too.Is he using a performance fuel pump or Injectors???If not a Fuel pressure regulator is of no use nah

What are the Other Mods you have in there...How much will a fuel pressure regulator cost??

Thanks GuruG...I saw a Voltage Stab too.Is he using a performance fuel pump or Injectors???If not a Fuel pressure regulator is of no use nah

What are the Other Mods you have in there...How much will a fuel pressure regulator cost??

Even with the stock injectors, you get a noticeable difference. The new injectors on the ZL-VE are much larger than the ZL-DE. Regulator is available on e-bay, might cost you bout $40-$50

As per manufacturer specs, it is said to throw out 130HP... I too assume it is the first conversion. There ain't no other crazy bugger like me :lol:

Today being a Poya day, thought I'd do some tests today.. since roads are kinda empty. You're more than welcome to join me.

Yup it was... got it started on the second attempt. The wiring is completely different to that of the stock ZL-DE. Only pending thing is to get the Speedo working.

I can help you out with that machan - I've got a digital speedo with a speed limiter remover!

Its a brand new Pivot unit i bought for the Z which i never got around to installing - its still in the box

funky little gadget cuz its supposed to show you peak speak each sun as well as quarter mile times etc. :)

i've had it tucked away for sometime, so if your interested make me a sensible offer (does NOT necessarily be have to too close to the figure stated in the ad - thats the price i paid for it - still have the bill somewhere) and its yours

take a look http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=3204

Hi all,

After many months of contemplating... I finally got down to do what I thought was possible conversion to VVTi (SVT in Mazda language)

The project commenced at 13:25 on 01st October, and concluded at 20:30 on 02nd October. It took three people (including me) 19 Hrs to complete the job (including breaks). The new engine is a ZL-VE.

Did couple of test drive today n it works fine..

The mechanical part was simple and straightforward, but the wiring and electronics took most of the time.

All components were courtesy M A Z N A - M O T O R S and brought down from Singapore.

Great work Bugatti – I’m definitely sure that you are the first to do a conversion of this sort –

Can’t wait to do a test run – How does the extra Horses feel ?

MFOC’s need to hook up and celebrate right ????? :alc:

Great work.. always nice to see someone try something different- well done!

IMO the FPR will f up your injectors (if they are stock)

Was no easy task, but wanted to try something a bit different. Also, thinking of offering it as a (chargeable) service to others, who want to upgrade their engines. :D

What if I run on standard pressure..? No issue then, right..? :unsure:

Edited by Bugatti