• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Local Car Collection

Devinda_Z

Question

I guess Mr ARE De Silva has the best vintage/classic collection.Two of his cars are the only surviving examples in the world.Most of his cars are kept as secret machines and only VCOC members were shown.He got Rare Merc,Caddy,Lincoln,Alwis and the oldest roadworthy bus of SL

My top 10

K Jayawardhane( Best Merc collection)

Hatim Akbarally

Asgi Akbarally

Yakoob Bin Ahamed

Mahesh Mallawarachchi

Freddy Alles

Sidath fernando

Nigel Austin

Wipulajayantha Wanniarachchi

Uncle Bri

MINIACE

Most of Asgi Akberally's car collection is located @ his bunglow in Bolgoda ......... will post some pics i took once i can kind em ..........

Majority donations. The "dayaka Sabawa" is planning a restoration campaign I heard.

MINIACE

Why doesnt the temple committee just sell them / auction them off to enthusiasts and donate any funds raised to the needy? The benefits are multiple:

1. The needy in the area would benefit

2. It'd save the temple from having to spend funds on restoring the cars

3. It'd save on the maintenance costs after the restoration work is done

3. It'd free up storage space and let the temple committee focus their time on more important things (like helping the needy).

4. It'd help the temple shed some of its material possessions

5. The cars would end up in the hands of someone who'd be passionate over taking proper care of them

Edited by tuk tuk

é story i heard about how é cars came to be in é temple goes like this....

supposedly é Ven. Loku hamuduruwo around é 1950~1970's had a brother who was a mechanic.. (or later é present priest who's father is Mechanic)...

so when é daayakayás of the temple needed thier cars repaired ,é Priest would suggest n at time push that é repairs be given to his brother to handle..

é end result being that some of é owners had simply given up hope over time of getting thier cars back as it would be rather odd to go asking é temple back for é vehicles...

oddly enough they hadnt botherd with avarage cars é Daayakaya's had but rather taken to asking for é more "special" ones...

But now they're in the process of restoring all the cars one by one...

PLEASE NOTE ALL THIS IS INFORMATION SHARED BY AN INDIVIDUAL IN THE AUTOMOTIVE AND CLASSIC CAR SCENE & NOT MY OWN,so i relinquish all responsibility for any inacuracies with regards to all afore mentioned!

yeah possibly....but é odds of those owners having passed away since is very high...

...but if that were to happen , and no one quite knows abt é car , would the current custodian of é vehicle gain rightful ownership??

dunno if they fixed up that ole Z to sell it né??....such a lovely looking car...

hey i think he's added TWO BMW 760IL's to that collection cuz i saw to paked one behind é other in the MGMR tower car park this afternoon

:)

& didnt é Masser get condemed? :(

...mmm...that which ur reffering to happens to be a "PLYMOUTH BARACUDA" n a stunning specimen at that!!

dunno é full extent of é collection but there's a Caddy in there somewhere ,which is alledged to have been shipped all é way to é states for restoration n then brought back!! :o

Yep the Maser is a wreck and looks like it will stay that way. Sad. :(

Dhanuka got some cool cars Skyline GTR, Merc, masarati and some Bikes

Ckeck out his Hi5 profile for pics http://www.hi5.com//friend/profile/display...47743&pic=2

Is this kid on autolanka.com? How come he hasnt shown us his collection?

story goes that when he found the Merc there was a TREE growing through é floor boards!!!! :o

but its great to see so many classics well cared for! :)

Yeah Pondas a great guy and has a great collection.

é story i heard about how é cars came to be in é temple goes like this....

supposedly é Ven. Loku hamuduruwo around é 1950~1970's had a brother who was a mechanic.. (or later é present priest who's father is Mechanic)...

so when é daayakayás of the temple needed thier cars repaired ,é Priest would suggest n at time push that é repairs be given to his brother to handle..

é end result being that some of é owners had simply given up hope over time of getting thier cars back as it would be rather odd to go asking é temple back for é vehicles...

oddly enough they hadnt botherd with avarage cars é Daayakaya's had but rather taken to asking for é more "special" ones...

But now they're in the process of restoring all the cars one by one...

PLEASE NOTE ALL THIS IS INFORMATION SHARED BY AN INDIVIDUAL IN THE AUTOMOTIVE AND CLASSIC CAR SCENE & NOT MY OWN,so i relinquish all responsibility for any inacuracies with regards to all afore mentioned!

err thats true actually, the current monks brother runs a garage, right behind my office actually...

yeah possibly....but é odds of those owners having passed away since is very high...

...but if that were to happen , and no one quite knows abt é car , would the current custodian of é vehicle gain rightful ownership??

dunno if they fixed up that ole Z to sell it né??....such a lovely looking car...

True, to have owned cars of any nature, especially these, one must have had to be of a certain social standing, meaning they were already getting on in years back then. but also means there must still be family members in the country, who might be interested in buying em back for sentimental value, charitable etc.

wouldnt it be possible to trace owner info through the RMV? since these cars all have plates? surely they would still be having the registration info, and the temple is influential enough to be able to access it.

QUOTE(Rily @ Feb 22 2007, 02:41 PM) 39917[/snapback]

To my knowlage Rilley Wanigasekera Has close to 80 classics and a few vintage bikes to

I have seen some of them and most are in truly pathetic condition. I would find it hard to call that a real desirable collection.

Mr. Freddie Alles has a great collection including a gorgeous Alfa Giulia GTV 1750, E-type Jag, Rolls, Citroen DS and 2CV, Daimlers, Mercs, Fiats, and lots more.

There is another collector called Piero who has a huge collection but again not all are in proper condition. But he has a Aston DB2!!!!

asgi akbarally bought a db2 recently... could be the car mentioned above