• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lost Key - Nissan Tiida

SunLikeStar

Question

Hi All,

I recently lost the key of my Nissan Tiida. Though I have an extra key, I wanted to get another one.

Now the company is asking a bloody 28K :angry: LKR to get another key. The problem is all the new auto keys come with an integrated chip and a transponder, and it needs to be registered in the car's computer to work properly. Otherwise the car won't start and go into the theft alarm mode. It is this programming part what the company exploits to drain your wallet though the process only takes couple of minutes to complete.

Does anyone of you know a cheaper workaround for this? Are there any Locksmiths here in Sri Lanka fit for this job?

Thanks in advance,

SunLikeStar

I`m not really sure whether you can do this for a TIDA, but one option would be to buy a generic key online and get it re-programmed by the agent. I know some agents do provide the service of programming owner supplied keys, you`ll have to check with A*W though.

Hi All,

I recently lost the key of my Nissan Tiida. Though I have an extra key, I wanted to get another one.

Now the company is asking a bloody 28K :angry: LKR to get another key. The problem is all the new auto keys come with an integrated chip and a transponder, and it needs to be registered in the car's computer to work properly. Otherwise the car won't start and go into the theft alarm mode. It is this programming part what the company exploits to drain your wallet though the process only takes couple of minutes to complete.

Does anyone of you know a cheaper workaround for this? Are there any Locksmiths here in Sri Lanka fit for this job?

Thanks in advance,

SunLikeStar

If you can find a blank key, programming process is a simple one.

If there is not much differance i think u should go for the company,

u never know wether the guys would programme another key for them selves - GTA :ninja:

Hmmm thats a good point actually :alc:

Thanks for your comments guys,

I did some research on this, and looks like for some models you can program it yourself, especially the Keyless remote as seen in this video:

But unfortunately this doesn't work on my 2008 Tiida.

As 'toyota sucks' said I also don't like giving my keys to a third-party locksmith. But it is far too better than wasting 28K to the company. If I had known the thing is worth that much, I would have stored the damn key in a locker and kept it under the pillow when I'm sleeping. :P

So I'm thinking of getting a blank key straight from Japan/China and let the company do the programing work. I hope A*W folks woudn't mind that.

Cheers,

SunLikeStar

I dont mean this to be a personal attack on the OP but more of a observation I've made.

Since the tax break a lot of sri lankans have been going for axios and alions with all these gizmos including 'push start' in other works electronic keys. And mind you the premium they pay for this 'push start' exceeds 50k-100k if i'm not mistaken. And as we see these new fancy keys cost quite a bit... Why cant people understand that if they didnt buy this G-grade or whatever with the fancy keys they could have saved quite a pocket-full when buying the car as well as when getting a duplicate key made. The last time I got a duplicate key made it costs like Rs.1200 if i remember right. And yes it does the same job these mark keys do :P

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

SunLikeStar

SunLikeStar',

Yes there are few wise men who do this in Srilanka.I cannot say about the cost it is expensive they do for new car sales who lease cars.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I dont mean this to be a personal attack on the OP but more of a observation I've made.

Since the tax break a lot of sri lankans have been going for axios and alions with all these gizmos including 'push start' in other works electronic keys. And mind you the premium they pay for this 'push start' exceeds 50k-100k if i'm not mistaken. And as we see these new fancy keys cost quite a bit... Why cant people understand that if they didnt buy this G-grade or whatever with the fancy keys they could have saved quite a pocket-full when buying the car as well as when getting a duplicate key made. The last time I got a duplicate key made it costs like Rs.1200 if i remember right. And yes it does the same job these mark keys do :P

heh True

Actually X grade or lowest grades does have same engine and other hardware (as I know) the only difference is those high grades have extra functionalities that cost more than it worth. May be by spending 10 - 20 % extra you can upgrade your lower grade one to semi high grade one.

heh True

Actually X grade or lowest grades does have same engine and other hardware (as I know) the only difference is those high grades have extra functionalities that cost more than it worth. May be by spending 10 - 20 % extra you can upgrade your lower grade one to semi high grade one.

This is not applicable for all. My fd1 has no low or high grades but the key is programmed, If you loose , sorry the cost is high. The shop which is advertised on ##### do programming only for some Toyota models only.

heh True

Absolutely spending that much on something which will give u nothing but trouble is useless,

If some one has extra cash it's worth spending for the color than spending ludicrous money for useless toyota gadgets

Guys, chipped keys are standard across most new cars though irrespective of the trim level. So this is something we'll have to get used to !

I think the OP has missed out on a key point. If you lose a key, technically you need the whole key set and barrels changed! Else what is going to stop the chap who finds the key from driving away with his car ?

Edited by The Don

Guys, chipped keys are standard across most new cars though irrespective of the trim level. So this is something we'll have to get used to !

I think the OP has missed out on a key point. If you lose a key, technically you need the whole key set and barrels changed! Else what is going to stop the chap who finds the key from driving away with his car ?

+1

damn this is a good point The Don lots of the people really dont think about the risk.

Dili honestly dude is this your view on paying extra for certain options when buying a car? Do you have a similar view about options like air suspension that comes in luxury cars? They are great when they work but if it breaks it'll cost an arm and a leg to repair. According to your theory people should stay away from these extras. You have concentrated on the negative side of the electronic key while overlooking the added security it adds to the car.

I think this hatred towards Axio is really clouding the judgment of certain members when expressing their views. I fail to understand why so many Auto-Lankans hate Axios. May be they are intimidated by the 'mudalali buggers in the pola' driving around in a car that cost 4 mil.

The irony is if someone to seek advice in this forum on purchasing a BMW E39 I’m sure some will recommend the face-lift version but if someone makes a post saying I want to buy an Axio G grade instead of the X grade he'll be branded a fool for paying extra for the cosmetic upgrade.

Before certain people get all worked up after reading my post let me clarify that I have no issues with people wanting to buy older cars regardless of the country of their origin. My post is directed towards people who bash Axios for no apparent reason other than the fact it cost a lot of money and it's been used by 'uncivilized mudalalis'.

Dili honestly dude is this your view on paying extra for certain options when buying a car? Do you have a similar view about options like air suspension that comes in luxury cars? They are great when they work but if it breaks it'll cost an arm and a leg to repair. According to your theory people should stay away from these extras. You have concentrated on the negative side of the electronic key while overlooking the added security it adds to the car.

Actually its not the luxuries or the feature itself that I find humorous. Its the "oh if i dont have X option and Y option on the car its useless, therefore I HAVE to get it(not bothering to think if the'll even need it) attitude in people when purchasing the car, but then complaining about the feature when it starts to pinch their pocket.

Another question on keys;

Will it be possible to sort out an insurance claim for a lost/misplaced key (intelligent key with all the geekware) to atleast compensate for the costs involved in replacing it?

Anyone had experience on this?

Another question on keys;

Will it be possible to sort out an insurance claim for a lost/misplaced key (intelligent key with all the geekware) to atleast compensate for the costs involved in replacing it?

Anyone had experience on this?

I know I am stating the obvious here, but if you have lost key cover they will obviously help you with the cost of key replacement.