• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Nano

Nirosha

i think nano is a better choice for our people to pocket, rather going for a teak panel, or BURUTHA Panel. So dont blame it before it lands on to the road. :rolleyes:

As usual the Central Bank makes no sense whatsoever.... WHAT are you trying to say here again?

They really should enforce a rule that bans the janitors from using computers during work hours.

Colombo Nano taxi service got a write up in the motoring section of today's Sydney Telegraph newspaper. Fame spreading fast!!! :D

Tried one of the nano cabs (the one operated by budget taxi) and it was a positive experience - in colombo traffic, it's faster than either a tuk tuk or regular car (much better pickup than a tuk tuk, more maneuverable than a regular car) and is comfortable enough for short journeys (the leg room, at least in front, was more than I had expected)

still can't imagine anyone wanting to buy one for own use at the sticker price, but as a cab it works fine (and the cab company can claim the VAT so it's an even sweeter deal for them)

apart from a trip to kurunegala and back (~300km) to test the thing, the car had already done 900km in 4 days, and supposedly does ~18 to the liter (most of which was before the run-in (1000km) so probably will improve a bit) - looks like quite a profitable business!

Now Three wheeler unions protesting against Nano Taxis. They staged a protest rally in Colombo last Wednesday.Read links

nano0.jpg

http://www.bsmotorin...-drivers/3699/1

http://www.adaderana...de=head&nid=885

http://www.english.g...e-wheelers.html

MINIACE

so they want to stop nano taxi expanding so they can go out and charge unreasonable(as they see fit)price from the passengers good serve them right at leese now they can be reasonable.

Now Three wheeler unions protesting against Nano Taxis. They staged a protest rally in Colombo last Wednesday.Read links

most of them are short-sighted buggers who only look to maximize the revenue from each individual hire. so they try to get away with daylight robbery. if they charged more reasonable rates, people would use them more and, even adjusting for additional fuel cost, they would have more profit at the end of the day.

there's a guy near where I stay who charges very reasonable rates (about what a meter tuk tuk charges) and he has lots of business.

and most meter tuk tuk guys (of the ones I've spoken to) say they make less per hire but they have much more hires than they used to.

so it's not impossible for these buggers to live well on lower fares, just that they don't understand the price-demand relationship in their business (although they seem to understand it for nano cabs!)

I pray this be the end of 'daylight robbery ' and ' Highway Mafia' of three wheeler community.! Heard more operators are lined up to enter Nano taxi service. Hallelujah !

MINIACE

The good thing about all this is since they are run by companies we should not be seeing too many "modified" nanos. As is the case with three wheelers.

Guys..why we can't stop depending on Indian products at least in lower category like Nano..when micro introduced small car ,nobody even bothered to buy or even interested to it..even government or responsible institutions didn't want to raise the helping hand to Micro to develop a budget vehicle..now some people are jumping too much when Nano comes. Typical biased Sri Lankan attitude towards the foreign craps. :angry:

Tried one of the nano cabs (the one operated by budget taxi) and it was a positive experience - in colombo traffic, it's faster than either a tuk tuk or regular car (much better pickup than a tuk tuk, more maneuverable than a regular car) and is comfortable enough for short journeys (the leg room, at least in front, was more than I had expected)

still can't imagine anyone wanting to buy one for own use at the sticker price, but as a cab it works fine (and the cab company can claim the VAT so it's an even sweeter deal for them)

apart from a trip to kurunegala and back (~300km) to test the thing, the car had already done 900km in 4 days, and supposedly does ~18 to the liter (most of which was before the run-in (1000km) so probably will improve a bit) - looks like quite a profitable business!

Guys..why we can't stop depending on Indian products at least in lower category like Nano..when micro introduced small car ,nobody even bothered to buy or even interested to it..even government or responsible institutions didn't want to raise the helping hand to Micro to develop a budget vehicle..now some people are jumping too much when Nano comes. Typical biased Sri Lankan attitude towards the foreign craps. :angry:

and the car you drive is manufactured where, did you say? :rolleyes:

and the car you drive is manufactured where, did you say? :rolleyes:

Mate read carefully what i have mentioned, I have said lower budget category..my car not a budget category one.I wanted to say regarding Nano.Before giving Nano a chance there should have been a chance and encouragement given to Micro to try and make a good budget vehicle.And the other thing is my father is one of the first who ordered that ugly little car made by micro in the very beginning.Still he's using it.

Edited by AbeysinghE

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. Micro cars ARE "foreign crap." We just assemble it here. Oh and it's good to see your dad driving the first micro, but, how many of those cars and vans do you still see around?

when micro introduced small car ,nobody even bothered to buy or even interested to it..

Weren't they able to sell all they were able to assemble, and people were put off by the long waiting time? I think I remember the good doctor saying something to that effect?

even government or responsible institutions didn't want to raise the helping hand to Micro to develop a budget vehicle..now some people are jumping too much when Nano comes. Typical biased Sri Lankan attitude towards the foreign craps. :angry:

plenty of help to micro from (present) govt - that's why all those SUVs on permits; but admittedly that wasn't to create a budget vehicle.

but seriously, who's going to pump that much money for R&D when all the key components of the car have to be imported anyway.

Is there a number to call these NANO taxi? :jumping-smiley-013:

7299299 for budget tuk tuk and budget nano red cabs (Rs. 100 for first 2 km, then Rs. 40/km)

don't know the number for the yellow ones

Hi Guys, well iv seen one been test driven somewhere in malambe close to MIT, it was quite wizzy. I hope the government reduces the price of it and target it as a replacement for the 3wheelers A.K.A (Kukulpateuw) :angry-smiley-048:

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. Micro cars ARE "foreign crap." We just assemble it here. Oh and it's good to see your dad driving the first micro, but, how many of those cars and vans do you still see around?

I don't see any car of that nature now other than my dad's car in our area..What you are pinpointing is right mate..it's also assembling here..but there is SL involvement up to a extent right? If all these Nano orders can be fulfilled my Micro,I'm sure they can even go on an invent the first ever fully manufactured car in SL.. :rolleyes:

My friend I have to disagree with few facts here.

Im sure we all appreciate the tremendous job Micro cars/ Transmec Engineering do for the local automobile industry.Appreciating the efforts and accepting the end product are two different things.

As many of you know my dad is one of the first design engineers of Micro Privilage 800 and its sentimental and I shuldnt speak against the 800. But the reality is 800 was never popular and even after selling more than 500 'Priviladges' very few are frequently seen on road now .Nearly all were recalled for mods frequently.Thats the sad beginning and common to any automobile manufacturer..Micro suffered reliability , technical issues and the faith on the product was soon lost.

Tata is different. Delivered by a reputed manufacturer and most importantly vale for the money is there.Yet thats the cheapest car in SL market ,even beating Micro range.

Im sure none of us are willingly comparing Micro and Nano but when it comes to choice, all favoured Nano with loads of valid reasons.

Its sad if we try to call Nano buyers Indian biased and its weird if we call Micro customers 'patriots'. Lets buy a good product and enjoy whilst encouraging local industry to follow same lines to deliver a good product.

Im sure competition will help Micro deliver good cars to local market at a lower price !

PS: Nano is 9,75/= and Trend 1.2M

im out!

MINIACE

• Like 1

My friend I have to disagree with few facts here.

Im sure we all appreciate the tremendous job Micro cars/ Transmec Engineering do for the local automobile industry.Appreciating the efforts and accepting the end product are two different things.

As many of you know my dad is one of the first design engineers of Micro Privilage 800 and its sentimental and I shuldnt speak against the 800. But the reality is 800 was never popular and even after selling more than 500 'Priviladges' very few are frequently seen on road now .Nearly all were recalled for mods frequently.Thats the sad beginning and common to any automobile manufacturer..Micro suffered reliability , technical issues and the faith on the product was soon lost.

Tata is different. Delivered by a reputed manufacturer and most importantly vale for the money is there.Yet thats the cheapest car in SL market ,even beating Micro range.

Im sure none of us are willingly comparing Micro and Nano but when it comes to choice, all favoured Nano with loads of valid reasons.

Its sad if we try to call Nano buyers Indian biased and its weird if we call Micro customers 'patriots'. Lets buy a good product and enjoy whilst encouraging local industry to follow same lines to deliver a good product.

Im sure competition will help Micro deliver good cars to local market at a lower price !

PS: Nano is 9,75/= and Trend 1.2M

im out!

MINIACE

No offence machang..I agree with you..what i meant was at least for the budget vehicle range..micro should have been given a chance with needful support to produce a made in srilanka car..but i know that it's just a dream of mine to see that..as it's not practical with the market in srilanka and with the political context.

No offence machang..I agree with you..what i meant was at least for the budget vehicle range..micro should have been given a chance with needful support to produce a made in srilanka car..but i know that it's just a dream of mine to see that..as it's not practical with the market in srilanka and with the political context.

What exactly so you mean by 'support'? no-one's stopping them from doing whatever R&D or improvements to current models. Even after all those tax breaks that the micro gets, its still about 25% more expensive than the nano. Thats not a small figure. So with the same money you could run 250 nano cabs as opposed to just 200 micro cabs. So do the math, which would you want.

And obviously the Nano is more reliable to run. And for a feet of vehicles that will be constantly running, any down-time due to repairs is bad on business.

And this is a private company mind you. So why should one private company incur losses or suffer inconveniences simply to support another private company.