• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Well I've Gone And Done It Again!!! Got Another Subaru!!!

MeanGreenZ28

Got myself a new project ... '99 Legacy Outback Limited Wagon. I was actually gonna go get a '91 Corolla All Trac Wagon (was thinking of swapping in a turbo MR2 engine and making a wolf in sheep's clothing) but decided not to go ahead with the deal when I got there 'cos it needed more work than I wanted to put into it; and the seller wasn't that honest with its overall condition. My buddy who went with me then told me his nephew had an Outback with a busted engine (ran without oil, doh!) and he'd call and ask if he would sell. Got it for $500, lol. I was gonna trade a Kawasaki KE100 for the Corolla but his nephew didn't want a bike, so I need to sell the bike and pay him back. Wife wasn't the most happy about today's dealings, but when she saw that it was an Outback and not the crappy Corolla I set out to get, she breathed a sigh of relief. hahaa ... pics soon, or go to FB for now.

Got myself a new project ... '99 Legacy Outback Limited Wagon. I was actually gonna go get a '91 Corolla All Trac Wagon (was thinking of swapping in a turbo MR2 engine and making a wolf in sheep's clothing) but decided not to go ahead with the deal when I got there 'cos it needed more work than I wanted to put into it; and the seller wasn't that honest with its overall condition. My buddy who went with me then told me his nephew had an Outback with a busted engine (ran without oil, doh!) and he'd call and ask if he would sell. Got it for $500, lol. I was gonna trade a Kawasaki KE100 for the Corolla but his nephew didn't want a bike, so I need to sell the bike and pay him back. Wife wasn't the most happy about today's dealings, but when she saw that it was an Outback and not the crappy Corolla I set out to get, she breathed a sigh of relief. hahaa ... pics soon, or go to FB for now.

500 $ Are you kidding me ? wow dead cheap

So the engine is totally blown or can it be repaired ?

What kind of idiot runs without oil :rolleyes:

You crazy man!!! How easily will it be for you to get it going? Any chance of you laying your hands on a SVX? THat 3.3 litr H6... yummy!!!

lol!! Nice. Looking forward to the pictures...You're lucky your wife supports all this! Also: How's the new Legacy treating you? You've probably broken it in by now and done its first service I suppose? What's the overall verdict?

500 $ Are you kidding me ? wow dead cheap

So the engine is totally blown or can it be repaired ?

What kind of idiot runs without oil :rolleyes:

Engine block has a decent sized hole on top, so needs a new short block

You crazy man!!! How easily will it be for you to get it going? Any chance of you laying your hands on a SVX? THat 3.3 litr H6... yummy!!!

H6 can def make nice power! SVX is pretty rare, although I've seen a few every now and then

H6 POWAAARR!!!

sdbracketattack161010_257.jpg

sdbracketattack161010_003.jpg

Even in the US with a blown engine thats dirt cheap man!! and you were going to trade a bike for this car?? :blink:

Yeah, haha. Got two people interested in the bike. Hopefully, I can sell it quick to pay the dude for the car.

MeanGreenZ28 you are one lucky guy :)

thanks!

lol!! Nice. Looking forward to the pictures...You're lucky your wife supports all this! Also: How's the new Legacy treating you? You've probably broken it in by now and done its first service I suppose? What's the overall verdict?

We love the 2011 Legacy, so much so that it's already got like 2500miles on it and it's not been even a month! First Oil change is due at 3750 at the dealer. Hence the reason to find a runabout car so we can use it for the day to day stuff and save the Legacy for special occasions. Verdict? I wrote an article for Motormag Lanka and it should be in either the coming issue or the next ... keep an eye out for it and let me know what you'll think! Edited by MeanGreenZ28

hey MG

how ya gonna manage with jnr too being at home? :D

i'm having a tough time trying to fix up my bike these days...

smallie wants to be a part of everything...

and it's pretty darn tough to keep him safe and non-grimy and still get the job done without loosing the plot :P

hey MG

how ya gonna manage with jnr too being at home? :D

i'm having a tough time trying to fix up my bike these days...

smallie wants to be a part of everything...

and it's pretty darn tough to keep him safe and non-grimy and still get the job done without loosing the plot :P

Did you try letting him hold a work-light in order to 'illuminate' the engine block or giving him a spanner and telling him to hold a bolt in place for you so it doesn't fall off ? ;)

Edited by Kavvz

We love the 2011 Legacy, so much so that it's already got like 2500miles on it and it's not been even a month! First Oil change is due at 3750 at the dealer. Hence the reason to find a runabout car so we can use it for the day to day stuff and save the Legacy for special occasions. Verdict? I wrote an article for Motormag Lanka and it should be in either the coming issue or the next ... keep an eye out for it and let me know what you'll think!

Nice. Is this review going to be available online? If so, be a good chap and post a link to it please.

Edited by Kavvz

Did you try letting him hold a work-light in order to 'illuminate' the engine block or giving him a spanner and telling him to hold a bolt in place for you so it doesn't fall off ? ;)

he's only two machang! but you know boys really love to follow what the dad is doing...

so it's pretty tough to take things apart and not loose the bits etc when you have a little kid booming with curiosity running about.

and you can't take him away so you can get the job done fast too :P(

I'm sure MG knows what i'm talking about :D

Yeah it's not easy with a curious 2yr old waking around and bumping his head everywhere. He likes to act like he's driving, so he'll sit on the driver seat (first one i cleaned up) and make "brrmmmm brmmmm beep beep" noises or take his tricycle, ATV or little car and push them around the driveway.

Almost finished cleaning the whole interior up today, all that's left is to give it all a nice coat of armorall Protectant and we should be done. Will shampoo The carpets later though. There was so much crap/junk/bottles/cans/etc. Scattered and under the seats/etc. it took almost two garbage bags to empty it all out!!! They also prob spilled coffee on the dash, so I had to take apart the dash and even the ac controls (yeah, took all the electronics apart too) and clean it all out indevidually cos it was all stuck together like glue.

Still trying to find an engine for a decent price and locally. Not in a rush to drop more money yet cos we're planning on a SL trip this summer. On another note, I put the bike up for sale and sold it for $425 within two days. So only $75 out of pocket for now ... Got the bike for free a few months ago too haha

Edited by Mean Green z28

looking for a short or long block and can't find any locally. All that I find is pretty far or across the country and shipping costs are gonna rape me; and they're not even that good (mileage/etc.) to convince me to pay the shipping costs ... ***sadgasm***

• 4 weeks later...

So I guess I'll make this a project progress thread ... at first I was going to do a "put the bare minimum to get it running project" but if we decide to keep her longer, I'd want her to last and therefore it's turned into a "do it right the first time and it'll be cheaper in the long run project".

Have most of the engine apart, just waiting on a engine hoist to pull it all out. not in a rush 'cos I still don't have anything to put back in.

Also sourced an engine locally and he'll deliver to me. It's supposedly got bad rod bearings, hence the reason he pulled it. He's asking $350 but I've sent him a note asking if he could hook a brother up!

The engine block is going to the machine shop asap before I leave to SL, and they're gonna go through the whole thing and basically make it "new" again. This way, I don't have to worry about it any issues of putting a used motor in and not knowing its history. Engine shop quoted anywhere from $800-$1500 depending on if they need to split the case and polish the journals due to the possible bad rod bearings and whatever else they find in there. These are the same guys who built my V8 in the past.

work so far ... well, I've actually taken out more and it's only the bare block and heads there now

post-556-042248100 1305251258_thumb.jpg

lol, you can see the big end of the rod through the hole in the block

post-556-033930000 1305251267_thumb.jpg

I'm not even sure how that happened dude, I bought it like that. Must've really starved the engine and it messed up the bearings; that I can still see welded to the crank. Heat build up I've seen do crazy things!! lol good thing is that I was able to rotate the engine to get the torque convertor bolts out, would have been a big mess of fluid everywhere had it been stuck solid.

Have been messaging the guy with the motor and getting more info on how much it needs/etc to be rebuilt and hopefully this deal doesn't turn around and bite me in the ass. However he agreed to trade me the engine for a bunch of car stereo stuff i've had lying around (amps/sub/head unit) that I'm sure will just lie there if I didn't do this. Well that and $50 for the gas to deliver it to me cos he's driving 7hrs total to do this.

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

I'm not even sure how that happened dude, I bought it like that. Must've really starved the engine and it messed up the bearings; that I can still see welded to the crank. Heat build up I've seen do crazy things!! lol good thing is that I was able to rotate the engine to get the torque convertor bolts out, would have been a big mess of fluid everywhere had it been stuck solid.

Have been messaging the guy with the motor and getting more info on how much it needs/etc to be rebuilt and hopefully this deal doesn't turn around and bite me in the ass. However he agreed to trade me the engine for a bunch of car stereo stuff i've had lying around (amps/sub/head unit) that I'm sure will just lie there if I didn't do this. Well that and $50 for the gas to deliver it to me cos he's driving 7hrs total to do this.

Oh Okay, may that boxer rest in peace then.

Jeez, you sure are able to trade stuff over there to get what you need eh? Stereo for engine, that`s great :D Wish parts and things were cheaper with plenty available over here to get into project stuff, but not the case in this remote nation :(

Good luck with ya build mate. :)

Engine shop quoted anywhere from $800-$1500 depending on if they need to split the case and polish the journals due to the possible bad rod bearings and whatever else they find in there. taken out more and it's only the bare block and heads there now

Damn the engine rebuild is gonna cost more than the entire car :lol:

Anyway good luck with the project :alc:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, it's been a while since I updated this thread! Have been busy with life and only recently got the time and very little $'s to get back to this project.

So I've attached the pics of the car the day I bought her home ... very dirty from sitting in a field. Haven't washed the exterior yet, but I cleaned the interior out and threw away two trash bags full of junk (bags, bottles, paper, etc.). Needs tires 'cos they're dry rotted and leak air when just sitting there.

35684354043.jpg 35684354044.jpg

Here's the engine coming out ... got the engine hoist for free ... lol

35684354047.jpg 35684354048.jpg

Here's the old engine...

35684354049.jpg

And here's the new engine waiting to go in ... got it for $600. Hope it'll hold up and the seller was honest of its condition...

35684354050.jpg

I had two old racing tires (335/35-18's) sitting around that I had used as a table (with a glass across them) and they came in handy to place the engines on, haha

Replacing the rear main seal while it's out and also putting on a new oil separator cover (steal vs. plastic that warps and leaks); you can see it through the flywheel on the right, not too clear though. I could have put it in this weekend but the bolts for the new oil separator cover are different and would need to be ordered 'cos the dealer didn't have them in stock *** Sucks to have to wait ***

Definitely a nice little project. The wife just doesn't understand the a man's need to be able to take something off the ground and get it running and looking new ... 'cos she constantly keeps asking me what I'm doing with this pill of crap when I can save that money and get something that's already running ... that's not the point honey, that's not the point!!! lol

Total spent for now, I'll keep this updated for my reference too...

$500 (for the car) - $425 (from selling the bike I got for free, lol) = $75

$600 (take-off engine)

$36 (oil separator cover)

$13 (rear main seal)

Grand Total = $724 ... lol

Edited by MeanGreenZ28
  • Like 1

One question mean green since i am not very familiar with the boxer setup much, can you actually replace the park plugs easily on that thing when the engine is mounted ? looks like a tight fit

Nice project there, MG. Genuine Subaru workshop manuals for slightly later models of Liberty and Forester are at:

http://www.subaru-car.ru/left/doc/

You might have seen them already. Site is in Russian (manuals are in English, thank Gawd!) but a roam around the links quickly makes sense. Don't know if yours is a 4 or a 6 but the mechanics of the EJ motors and things should be much the same.