• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Loose Connection On Battery

Sifaan

Question

Hi all;

Some months ago there was a loose connection on the battery negative (car was at the agents for some other work) and the "fix" was to insert some lead pieces to create a tight connection.

This has now come undone somehow (either by itself, or during the recent service - maybe they fiddled with it when checking water levels), and twice in the past week I had to fiddle with the connector to get power from the battery.

Other than perhaps replacing the connector, what other options are available? Is the lead inserts a sustainable solution (and had just come loose during the service) or not? I saw something in a post about soldering the connector but I would prefer to avoid that because it makes it harder to disconnect the battery if the need arises.

Thanks

24 answers to this question

Hi all;

Some months ago there was a loose connection on the battery negative (car was at the agents for some other work) and the "fix" was to insert some lead pieces to create a tight connection.

This has now come undone somehow (either by itself, or during the recent service - maybe they fiddled with it when checking water levels), and twice in the past week I had to fiddle with the connector to get power from the battery.

Other than perhaps replacing the connector, what other options are available? Is the lead inserts a sustainable solution (and had just come loose during the service) or not? I saw something in a post about soldering the connector but I would prefer to avoid that because it makes it harder to disconnect the battery if the need arises.

Thanks

Try some Battery joint. They usually have lead surrounding sort of thing which can be inserted to the battery terminal and then the connector would fix tight. I've done this to the lancer and it held up until I sold it after almost 02 years.

Well soldering the joint isnt exactly a smart idea

Well i dont know about the whole led thing but what you can do is wrap a piece of copper around the battery terminal or use a higher gauge wire to do this (was a bit hard putting the connector back but it didnt get loose after i tightened the screw )

:alc:

Members,

Battery terminal can be refilled using same battery current by using a aluminum thick gauge terminal V shape small bush like a new battery terminal lug and use other terminal wire with wire lead as the electrode and short circuit the damaged terminal battery lug until you fill the aluminum bush. Then take off the bush as bush will not get welded with lead and use a file to shape the filled terminal battery lug to a new terminal. Please note to remove the battery water filling caps before you start the process.

Due to the heat generated by short circuiting the damaged battery terminal lug which is also lead it will fill up very well and will be like new battery terminal lug.This process has to be done with care not to overheat the terminal base and use a battery wire clip to hold the wire lead thick gauge 6 inches of wire lead at a time.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Sifaan',

I do not think new battery clamp will help you as you say it is already loose and do not fit in correctly.Best is if you are not competent it handling the way I suggested go to good battery repairer

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

'Sifaan',

I do not think new battery clamp will help you as you say it is already loose and do not fit in correctly.

What how would a new clamp not help if his problem is with a stretched out clamp?

You are delusional, old man.

What how would a new clamp not help if his problem is with a stretched out clamp?

You are delusional, old man.

'jdnet',

Answer to the point with clear perception. Instead of starting unwanted arguments like a fool.

Yes I am a merry old man Proud of same. Not like you delusion insane brat.Who wants to make money out of this forum.This post proves your poor knowledge in automobile industry how can battery clamp get stretched out they get tightened in by tightening the clamp bolt the problem according to topic starters post is the battery terminal lead post is getting loose due to some miss handling.

By informing the forum members With very simple solutions for automobile problems do it your self and that you are genius in Automobiles there by building your name among the motorists.

I remember that you some time back posted informing interested in starting a repair shop seeking advise for future Rupees and Cents benefits.I presume your back ground thinking and joining this forum is for marketing.

I say again. Give a positive answer to the point instead of starting unwanted arguments.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

No need to get hostile guys, we're all trying to help.

If it's a top post battery, a new terminal clamp will fix it; since it's doubtful that the post shrunk in size so much.

If it's a side terminal battery that has a threaded hole, you're kinda out of luck and will need to either re-tap and put in a larger thread or use an insert like Heli-coil to repair the terminal.

Also, sometimes it's better to post a pic of the said problem to help guide the discussion along...

Good luck!

This post proves your poor knowledge in automobile industry how can battery clamp get stretched out they get tightened in by tightening the clamp bolt the problem according to topic starters post is the battery terminal lead post is getting loose due to some miss handling.

edit. too harsh.

Edited by jdnet

Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions

As far as I know it is a problem with the clamp; the battery is about a year old (about 6 months when the problem first occured).

I was not aware that it was possible to just buy a clamp and replace it (citroen sells the clamp and wiring to the car body at some fantastic price!) so will check that out as the preferred option...

Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions

As far as I know it is a problem with the clamp; the battery is about a year old (about 6 months when the problem first occured).

I was not aware that it was possible to just buy a clamp and replace it (citroen sells the clamp and wiring to the car body at some fantastic price!) so will check that out as the preferred option...

Actually sifaan. You may not need to buy the clamp from the dealer. If it fits, you can use a standard clamp. Why don't you take a pic of the clamp and post it up? If I have something that works and if you are not in a hurry we can just figure it out next week since you need to drop by here next week anyway (you know why)....

Actually sifaan. You may not need to buy the clamp from the dealer. If it fits, you can use a standard clamp. Why don't you take a pic of the clamp and post it up? If I have something that works and if you are not in a hurry we can just figure it out next week since you need to drop by here next week anyway (you know why)....

Well, this is what it looks like:

http://sifaan.almostunreal.org/battery.jpg

Edited by Sifaan

Well, this is what it looks like:

http://sifaan.almostunreal.org/battery.jpg

as I assumed, this is the typical D9 type terminal connector you got. It's self tightening when you press the lever on to the side of the terminal. If you can insert a stud onto the terminal which will result in thickening the terminal pole by say 1 mm, this will fit tight. I'm not a fan of lead loading or soldering as Sylvi said which might damage the battery cells.

as I assumed, this is the typical D9 type terminal connector you got. It's self tightening when you press the lever on to the side of the terminal. If you can insert a stud onto the terminal which will result in thickening the terminal pole by say 1 mm, this will fit tight. I'm not a fan of lead loading or soldering as Sylvi said which might damage the battery cells.

Harshan,

Couldn't he just remove the connector and install a standard connector? The lead ones can be cut down to a size that would fit in tight enough right? Worked for my old grand cherokee.

Harshan,

Couldn't he just remove the connector and install a standard connector? The lead ones can be cut down to a size that would fit in tight enough right? Worked for my old grand cherokee.

that would be the last resort, coz this origonal connector can be removed in a fraction of a second if in case of an emergency, say major short circuit which will ignite a fire. Where in a standard connector you will have to find spanners and loosen nuts 'n bolts to remove it. I've seen some 406's changed to standard connector since this connector is not sold alone, but with the wire harness.

that would be the last resort, coz this origonal connector can be removed in a fraction of a second if in case of an emergency, say major short circuit which will ignite a fire. Where in a standard connector you will have to find spanners and loosen nuts 'n bolts to remove it. I've seen some 406's changed to standard connector since this connector is not sold alone, but with the wire harness.

Ahhh well I guess Sifaan would need the original connector then :)(he knows why). Either way do you think wrapping the post with a strip of copper would be good?

as I assumed, this is the typical D9 type terminal connector you got.

do you mean it's the same connector used on the 406 D9? Or D9 means something else?

If a replacement connector would be a different type, I would prefer to not change it if there are other sustainable options

It's self tightening when you press the lever on to the side of the terminal. If you can insert a stud onto the terminal which will result in thickening the terminal pole by say 1 mm, this will fit tight.

any idea how come the max. tightening of the lever is not enough to ensure a solid fit? Might it be possible to "calibrate" the connector? otherwise the stud option seems the best alternative.

thanks

do you mean it's the same connector used on the 406 D9? Or D9 means something else?

If a replacement connector would be a different type, I would prefer to not change it if there are other sustainable options

any idea how come the max. tightening of the lever is not enough to ensure a solid fit? Might it be possible to "calibrate" the connector? otherwise the stud option seems the best alternative.

thanks

D9 means, 406 D9. Calibrating the connector i'm not quite sure, but I guess it can be done. The battery guy in Piliyandala where I bought a battery for the Lancer had these studs of different sizes, types, so I'm assuming a decent battery place might have them in possession.

Actually I take it baqck, seems your way of using a stud is better. Got a pic of the type of stud?

don't have a pic right now, it's a cylinder shape led stud comes in different sizes to fit differet types of terminals. Some have an opening/split to support little amount of expansion if required. You can sand/grind it off the excess if it's thicker than the terminal.

couldn't deal with this for last few days as my brother-in-law had borrowed the car.

called Pala Auto (Baseline road) this morning and described the problem, and they said they could change the terminal for Rs. 300... I thought this meant the terminal on the battery (was surprised to hear that that could be changed) but discovered when I went there that they were referring to the part that clamps on to the battery post, which I didn't want to change.

I then described the lead cap that Harshan suggested and they checked around and were saying they had it but don't have it anymore; however I think what they meant was something different than what I wanted - because they were describing having to bore a hole in the clamp and so on.

anyway, in the end they made a cylinder from copper plate (curved it and soldered it) and inserted that on the battery post. And now the clamp fits nice and tight. when this was being discussed I asked if it would be made from copper or lead and they said copper is better as lead would wear out faster.

Took almost 1 hour time wasting on looking for whatever lead thing they had in mind, a little over 1 hour to actually make and fix the cap, and Rs. 250 in total.