• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dehiwela Flyover Vibration

Az

Today, when I was driving along the Dehiwela flyover, a large bus was travelling on the opposite direction despite the sign which prohibits heavy vehicles from driving on the flyover. The flyover started vibrating, and it was a bit of a scary experience. Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal? Is the construction of this flyover of poor quality? Could this collapse in the future?

Today, when I was driving along the Dehiwela flyover, a large bus was travelling on the opposite direction despite the sign which prohibits heavy vehicles from driving on the flyover. The flyover started vibrating, and it was a bit of a scary experience. Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal? Is the construction of this flyover of poor quality? Could this collapse in the future?

The quality of those flyovers in SL is debatable.What i know is, there will be a degree of vibration in those bridges.But i'm 100% sure it's something which not felt by the drivers.If you felt it to the vehicle i'm sure there will be something. :unsure::unsure: Dehiwala flyover completed way to early than it's normally expected,Those "Kadinam viyapruthi" quality is always a big ????????????? :unsure:

Thats normal I guess.Them Bridges stand on shock-absobers anyway...

You guys should feel the Kelaniya bridge(the one over the river,not the flyover) bouncing when the tyres sit on one of those pier beams underneath.Feels like a freakin' earthquake.

Edited by MasterDon

I know the structure of the Nugegoda flyover was not approved by the local engineering teams from the Moratuwa campus. No idea about Dehiwala but I'm assuming it is not of hte highest standards. There is a difference between vibration of poor quality bridges in other parts of the country and a flyover where the top is over 50 feet up in the air. I'm sure they don't allow heavy vehicles on it for more than just blocking traffic. As with many other farcial "time savers" it could just be a matter of time before it all comes crashing down. Wouldn't want to be up there when it does.

No need to be alarmed. these are built with steel structures and suppose to be flexible,same like a structure of a ship, thats why you feel if as the bridge is shaking when you travel on it, and it's normal.

First time I noticed that on the Dehiwala flyover when I had to stop on top of the bridge for a traffic. I actually was not sure whether there was something wrong with my car or an earthquake. It's really scary. I don't think the vibration of that bridge is normal at all.

Nugegoda and dehiwala both same, both vibrates when vehicles go past...i dont find anythin to be not worried about :blink: damn thing feels like it will fall down soon....its just a freaking bridge that starts near a bus halt and ends near the next halt so yeah traffic flow is awsome :P

i like to see an ambulance go past on those rush our times when its full of cars

btw why do people call it rush hour when nothings moving :P

Edited by Muditha420

What fool on earth build a steel fly over meters next to the sea and salt water

Then what happen to this bridge! Will it fall tomorrow?

My link

It’s not true that steel bridges are week and its outdated technology! (Look at the 2009 US steel bridge competition report through below link). If you design and built correctly, it will stand as long as concrete bridges, but need constant care and maintenance which is much expensive compare to concrete ones.

However, I personally don’t trust Access Engineering as they haven't got proven records in quality constructions and no need to comment on those government bodies who were the consultants/ designers on those projects.

My link