• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question About Well Water

jdnet

Ok this is not a car topic but I was hoping someone here would know something. Basically on one of my sites I had a tube well put in and we need water to begin construction on monday. Since getting a new supply would take a little bit of time going through all the paper work and stuff I thought about putting in a water pump and powering it with a generator. Basically I won't be spending on the pump or generator so my question is would it be feasible to use a genarator to power the water pump and fill up a tank when needed for construction work or should I just wait for the water connection?

Also the well is 40 feet and the water level seems to hold up pretty good when using the hand pump that's on it.

Ok this is not a car topic but I was hoping someone here would know something. Basically on one of my sites I had a tube well put in and we need water to begin construction on monday. Since getting a new supply would take a little bit of time going through all the paper work and stuff I thought about putting in a water pump and powering it with a generator. Basically I won't be spending on the pump or generator so my question is would it be feasible to use a genarator to power the water pump and fill up a tank when needed for construction work or should I just wait for the water connection?

Also the well is 40 feet and the water level seems to hold up pretty good when using the hand pump that's on it.

use an engine driven water pump, those either runs on diesel or kerosene so will be cost effective. Look at your project plan and decide when you need water (to begin construction) Based on the dependancy and the time you have, decide whether you want to wait for the supply to begin constructions or to use the well until you get the supply.

Basically I won't be spending on the pump or generator so my question is would it be feasible to use a genarator to power the water pump and fill up a tank when needed for construction work or should I just wait for the water connection?

If you already have an electric pump and a generator, and you only need to take it to the site, then go for it.

If by tank you mean a big arpico / slon water tank, the only thing would be to install it at least a few feet off the ground so you can have a tap on the outlet that you can use to fill buckets, etc. But some kind of tank that's open at the top would be faster (just dunk the bucket!)

BTW is there going to be a ceremonial start to the construction ;) ?

Personally i feel that using a water supply line from one of the neighbors and paying their entire bill would still be cheaper than going through all the that :)

• Like 2

Personally i feel that using a water supply line from one of the neighbors and paying their entire bill would still be cheaper than going through all the that :)

Stig,

Your advise is the cheapest method for a short time project.

When the tube well subject comes up on this forum I thought I will share my Knowledge with the forum. To my knowledge first tube wells was done by Machines in mid 1960's ( Tube well digging drills) in Puttlam district by Israeli teem they did number of tube wells in old Mannar road and in madurankluliya area. One tube well still there at old mannar road about 20 Kms from Puttlam town this tube well do not need a pump as water comes out doe to pressure in underground water table. The madurankuliya tube well is also same which is visible to main road near Railway station.

There after with GTZ Water drilling in Anuradapura Mulathiv I was involved. till 1985.

During that time I used to attend to their Electrical systems as there was no agent in repairing that type of Electrical systems in Ceylon which those water drilling rigs had.So my experience I gained about water drilling from them.Those Tube wells was done to 150 feet or more and they did the testing of water for human consumption good or only for agriculture and how many gallons of water can be lifted out from the well for 24 hours.

After that time who worked (Laborers) with that Israeli teem most of them are from JaEla area started with hand drilling tube wells now you can see lot of them (2nd Generation) are offering service of digging tube wells on that Road side.

I too have all equipment for drilling tube wells. If the soil is soft near sea up to 500 meters any person can do a tube well with locally made equipment by hand operation up to 40 feet within 6 hours. I live within 500 meters from sea shore I have 5 tube wells in my garden as every level on my building I have given a separate supply with a tube well with a plastic tank first two floors with two tube wells. 1st and 2nd floors one pump will fill water to a plastic tank. But after that have to use another pump on 30 feet above ground level to pump up water if not to fill 1000 liters tank will take about 1 hour. I have done in Colombo and suburbs more 50 tube wells free of charge. Only workers wages was requested from my friends and relations.In Colombo some areas I have come across filled up land which water is not suitable for human consumption. every tube well I do take a sample after few days get that tested by water board or any water testing laboratory. Water is suitable for human consumption. some reports come to say not good for drinking only for washing cloths and sanitary cleaning use. all my tube wells in my garden in Colombo 030 is used for sanitary use.

All above are my experience about tube wells and this post is to share my knowledge. Some members will write I have written out of the point.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Stig,

When the tube well subject comes up on this forum I thought I will share my Knowledge with the forum. To my knowledge first tube wells was done by Machines in mid 1960's ( Tube well digging drills) in Puttlam district by Israeli teem they did number of tube wells in old Mannar road and in madurankluliya area. One tube well still there at old mannar road about 20 Kms from Puttlam town this tube well do not need a pump as water comes out doe to pressure in underground water table. The madurankuliya tube well is also same which is visible to main road near Railway station.

There after with GTZ Water drilling in Anuradapura Mulathiv I was involved. till 1985.

During that time I used to attend to their Electrical systems as there was no agent in repairing that type of Electrical systems in Ceylon which those water drilling rigs had.So my experience I gained about water drilling from them.Those Tube wells was done to 150 feet or more and they did the testing of water for human consumption good or only for agriculture and how many gallons of water can be lifted out from the well for 24 hours.

After that time who worked (Laborers) with that Israeli teem most of them are from JaEla area started with hand drilling tube wells now you can see lot of them (2nd Generation) are offering service of digging tube wells on that Road side.

I too have all equipment for drilling tube wells. If the soil is soft near sea up to 500 meters any person can do a tube well with locally made equipment by hand operation up to 40 feet within 6 hours. I live within 500 meters from sea shore I have 5 tube wells in my garden as every level on my building I have given a separate supply with a tube well with a plastic tank first two floors with two tube wells. 1st and 2nd floors one pump will fill water to a plastic tank. But after that have to use another pump on 30 feet above ground level to pump up water if not to fill 1000 liters tank will take about 1 hour. I have done in Colombo and suburbs more 50 tube wells free of charge. Only workers wages was requested from my friends and relations.In Colombo some areas I have come across filled up land which water is not suitable for human consumption. every tube well I do take a sample after few days get that tested by water board or any water testing laboratory. Water is suitable for human consumption. some reports come to say not good for drinking only for washing cloths and sanitary cleaning use. all my tube wells in my garden in Colombo 030 is used for sanitary use.

All above are my experience about tube wells and this post is to share my knowledge. Some members will write I have written out of the point.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you soo much for the valuable history lesson boss :)

use an engine driven water pump, those either runs on diesel or kerosene so will be cost effective. Look at your project plan and decide when you need water (to begin construction) Based on the dependancy and the time you have, decide whether you want to wait for the supply to begin constructions or to use the well until you get the supply.

Yes, this is the best solution! There were many places around to rent those pumps. I used to hire from “Singha” trading Piliyandala and you would get many from yellow pages.

Getting permanent water supply will totally depend on the scale of your construction! :unsure:

If you are expecting for long term solution, hire a pump, start your construction without delays and get the permanent line at the meantime. Its that simple. <_<

Good luck for new project!

Stig,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi,

Can you please tell me where is the place for test water sample? how many days they take for test water sample?

Edited by thusithasam

Ah crap I didn't even think about that! I guess it seems like the cheapest route. +1 for the simplest of solutions. lol.

If you already have an electric pump and a generator, and you only need to take it to the site, then go for it.

If by tank you mean a big arpico / slon water tank, the only thing would be to install it at least a few feet off the ground so you can have a tap on the outlet that you can use to fill buckets, etc. But some kind of tank that's open at the top would be faster (just dunk the bucket!)

BTW is there going to be a ceremonial start to the construction ;) ?

Well I think I'm going to go with stig's suggestions until everything gets set up. Eitherway the well would be the main source of water later on since it is a garage and the water bills will add up.

As for the ceromonial start. Not really. The ceromony is basically when the baases get there and start laying bricks. lol.

Sylvi,

Can you please tell me where is the place for test water sample? how many days they take for test water sample?

Isn't it NARA in mattakuliya that tests water? I vaguely remember having to go there to get the water in my fish tanks tested.

Well I think I'm going to go with stig's suggestions until everything gets set up. Eitherway the well would be the main source of water later on since it is a garage and the water bills will add up.

As for the ceromonial start. Not really. The ceromony is basically when the baases get there and start laying bricks. lol.

Best of luck on your construction, May everything go according to your plans.

As for the water u can get a temporary supply the bill will be slightly more than in the permanent one (u can't get a pemanent till u get the cofc), yet it will be cheaper than the generator and motor stuff.

Edited by toyota sucks

Best of luck on your construction, May everything go according to your plans.

As for the water u can get a temporary supply the bill will be slightly more than in the permanent one (u can't get a pemanent till u get the cofc), yet it will be cheaper than the generator and motor stuff.

yeah the whole issue I have is that they stopped the whole temporary supply thing. Now you need to have a building on the property (a madduwa will suffice) and the connection will be permanent.

Sylvi,

'thusithasam',

Water Board Colombo 070 MRI at Boralla CISIR at Bullers road all three said institutions if you have a friend you can get tested free of charge.Or Bamber and Bruce (Pvt) LTD 22/A Vijaya Kumarathunge Mawatha Colombo 050. Telephone 2514254 or 2514105 Laboratory which is in Srilanka for more than 100 years their reports are recognized in any country in the world.Charges please contact them. All said testing you have to take about 500ml of water in a Bottle the bottle will have to be sterilized in boiling water for some time so that it will not have any contamination.

Normal test will take only few hours. Within a day you can have the report.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

It is advisable always to do a 6 inch PVC Thick gauge tube well if not some times when you use thin gauge PVC tube at the center due to earth pressure the PVC tube Will get caved in at the center of the well and minimum depth of the tube should be 40 feet perforations only at last 7 feet. If not septic tank water can get mixed with tube well water.

Most septic tanks are not deeper than 10 feet of ground level. So when you pump you will get water from 30 feet below the surface.Some tube well diggers use chip rock as a filter I never use same.

If any member wants further clarifications on tube wells please do contact me I will advice free of charge. I at the moment do not do any more tube wells for others. I find it is cheaper to get a tube well done by the people who are engaged in that field on Negambo road.

At present charges for thirty feet tube well only labor on soft soil is ranging from Rupees 7500.00 to 10000.00. For 40 feet you will want three tubes as it is used by cutting a full tube to 4.5 feet pieces. if not the tube well digger will find difficult to insert the last few parts of PVC tube into the bore hole easily.Only first tube with perforation is inserted to the bore hole as full tube.

It is always better to get the tube put in further to 40 feet then you are sure that water will not be mixed with septic tank water.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Thank you soo much for the valuable history lesson boss :)

LOL dont even bother reading :lol:

Ah crap I didn't even think about that! I guess it seems like the cheapest route. +1 for the simplest of solutions. lol.

:D

So matter settled then, were there any neighbors willing to do this ?