• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

so little fockers it will take another decade to you guys to drive a hybrid ... so till that keep rejecting every new thing u see around ..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:alc:

See that's where you're wrong. Unlike you sheep, who will just jump on any bandwagon as long as it's cheap, we lot are self aware. Henceforth we know we're alive and intelligent and capable of choosing what we want.

never argue with a pig. It only makes you look foolish and it annoys the pig...

so little fockers it will take another decade to you guys to drive a hybrid ... so till that keep rejecting every new thing u see around ..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:alc:

It appears the Mental restart has failed... You're still coming across as a loon.

Perhaps try a "Bump Start" (i.e. go hit your head on a wall or similar surface)

That might be just the ticket!

so little fockers it will take another decade to you guys to drive (afford) a hybrid ... so till that keep rejecting every new thing u see around ..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:alc:

You can afford a hybrid but couldn't afford a decent education that allows you to express yourself properly?

And I'm afraid you don't need a pigs help to look foolish, you managed that all by yourself. Congrats!

And I hate to tell you this, but hybrids aren't exactly the most expensive vehicles in the country.

Heard a nice story from a friend of mine who wants to buy an Insight. Apparently there are quite a few Insights at Stafford. The problem? Accidents after people drove watching the monitors instead of the road. :lol: Gotta feel pretty stupid when you have to shell out the money to repair the car after trying to save a few cents on petrol. :lol:

so little fockers it will take another decade to you guys to drive (afford) a hybrid ... so till that keep rejecting every new thing u see around ..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:alc:

comeback fail. :rolleyes:

Shah, so you own a hybrid? wow!!!! sira porak ne

For that kind of money, I'm sure your hybrid has push start and nickel handles too?

a typical hybrid owner.

bought a hybrid, and now regretting it because of all the maintaining cost,

so to make himself happy, he tries to force others thinking, there is nothing better than a hybrid with his typical smug-ness.

sauron non of us said that hybrids is a utter failure, we all said that, its too soon for Sri-Lanka.

still hybrid users in Kandy, Anuradhapura etc areas have to go to Colombo for services.

later on it may catch up but right now.. NO.

even if it does, some of us will NEVER buy a hybrid. and no not because we cant afford or cant maintain :)

afford a hybrid.. are u serious... do u know some of the rides that people here own u fool... what did u pay for ur hybrid? and again as some has said here they will never buy a hybrid until all oil dissapaears from earth.. and i am one of them too.. hybrids are good for some people with priorities on long journeys and want to spend less as possible of fuel. and true tree huggers.. the latter is very rare to find in SL.. but in SL conditions its still in its infancy so people have to wait and see..

so stop thinking from ur hybrid messed up mind and think twice or even thrice before positing shit like this.. hyrbids like the prius and the insight are the cheapest stuff abroad by the way..

only thing that some ppl can do is complaining about everything that they see.... with or without a reason they used to complain at everything.... they are hiding behind their old stuffs and satisfying about themselves by saying that all new things are bad..... by looking at some comments made by some ppl here i cant not imagine how mentally restarted they are...

LOL

Pop quiz children. When was the hybrid concept invented and when was the first hybrid made? :)

bought a hybrid, and now regretting it because of all the maintaining cost,

Routine regular maintenance on a hybrid is the same as a normal car.

Most hybrids do not require special routine maintenance of the hybrid system so anyone who can change the oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs and fuel and air filters etc can do routine maintenance on a hybrid.

some of us will NEVER buy a hybrid.)

In 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 years you might be eating these words.

Due to the much stricter CAFE standards that are coming into effect in major markets, manufacturers are being forced to make their cars much more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly (lower emissions). Toyota has said each of their car lines will have a hybrid model by the end of this decade and they expect the Prius cars to overtake the Corolla and become their best selling car by the end of this decade also.

Edited by Californikan
  • Like 1

Cali,

They will have a Hybrid version of each model similar to the RX, Highlander, GS etc... Not a hybrid only line-up.

Keep in mind though, all these hybrids are a stepping stone to full electric by way of plug in or Hydrogen.

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I am much more a zero-emissions/super low-emissions fan than I a hybrid fan. I just see hybrid as a mass marketable technology we have available right now on the road to zero-emissions vehicles. The quicker we get to mass market all-electric or hydrogen the better.

• Like 1

In 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 years you might be eating these words.

In 30 years time Hybrids will cease to exist all together.The world will move on to more cleaner and efficient fuels (Hydrogen,electricity).Hybrids are no more than a marketing gimmick,A sticky plaster over a stab wound.

Though the gas guzzling cars will be replaced they will be kept as play things for the enthusiasts and cherished for generations to come,whereas the hybrid would be long forgotten.

Please watch Jay Leno's interview from the 5 minute mark onwards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AUurBnLbJw

In 30 years time Hybrids will cease to exist all together.The world will move on to more cleaner and efficient fuels (Hydrogen,electricity).Hybrids are no more than a marketing gimmick,A sticky plaster over a stab wound.

Though the gas guzzling cars will be replaced they will be kept as play things for the enthusiasts and cherished for generations to come,whereas the hybrid would be long forgotten.

Good video. Thanks for posting.

I look forward to the day when hybrid technology is no longer necessary, and people drive all-electric and hydrogen-electric zero-emissions vehicles.

Edited by Californikan

Routine regular maintenance on a hybrid is the same as a normal car.

Most hybrids do not require special routine maintenance of the hybrid system so anyone who can change the oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs and fuel and air filters etc can do routine maintenance on a hybrid.

Werent you banging the drum saying XX shop and YY agent has imported special equipment and has sent technicians to japan for training etc etc so that hybrids can be serviced. Now you say servicing a hybrid is like servicing any other car..... I'm not claiming either of them is correct, but arent you contradicting yourself here?

Or did your expert knowledge change when your neighbor's service interval was up and he went for a 'regular' service as opposed to a 'hybrid' service you were talking about?

Werent you banging the drum saying XX shop and YY agent has imported special equipment and has sent technicians to japan for training etc etc so that hybrids can be serviced. Now you say servicing a hybrid is like servicing any other car..... I'm not claiming either of them is correct, but arent you contradicting yourself here?

Or did your expert knowledge change when your neighbor's service interval was up and he went for a 'regular' service as opposed to a 'hybrid' service you were talking about?

Not at all.

Routine maintenance with a hybrid is the same as with a normal car - oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs, fuel filters, air filters etc. Most hybrid systems don't require any special maintenance.

One of the arguments of the 'now is not the time to buy a hybrid' crowd was that if something goes wrong with the hybrid system in a hybrid, there aren't any garages or technicians in SL that will know how to fix it. The opening of the Singaporean hybrid garage last month evaporated that argument.

It's two different things: doing routine maintenance vs diagnosing and fixing a problem in the hybrid system.

JOHN-Tesng.jpg

http://sundaytimes.lk/110904/BusinessTimes/bt28.html

• Like 1

Not at all.

Routine maintenance with a hybrid is the same as with a normal car - oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs, fuel filters, air filters etc. Most hybrid systems don't require any special maintenance.

One of the arguments of the 'now is not the time to buy a hybrid' crowd was that if something goes wrong with the hybrid system in a hybrid, there aren't any garages or technicians in SL that will know how to fix it. The opening of the Singaporean hybrid garage last month evaporated that argument.

It's two different things: doing routine maintenance vs diagnosing and fixing a problem in the hybrid system.

Yes Mr. I-didnt-know-my-wheels-were-alloys, WE know servicing a hybrid is no different from servicing a normal car. Now look at the article you posted. Does it say "repairs" anywhere? It says "service" maybe next time you bark out loud think of what you're barking about and if you have already barked about it before.

And dont try to wash ur hands off responsibility saying that you just quoted it, and that you didnt write it, when you make a post publicizing such articles its as good as you saying it.

First Dedicated Hybrid Vehicle Service Center in Sri Lanka opens this Monday, August 8 2011

Hybrid-Press.jpg

Hybrid Motors Lanka, a subsidiary of Hybrid Motors Singapore, will open the very first hybrid service centre in Colombo on Monday August 8, marking its entrance into the automobile market. This will be the first of the many such engineering centres to be opened islandwide by Hybrid Motors Lanka in the months ahead. The hybrid service centre was set up with an investment of US$ 500,000 (Rs 50 million) to meet the technical needs of the estimated 2,000 to 3,000 hybrid cars in Sri Lanka, while a further 2,500 are still in the port awaiting clearance.

Chairman of Hybrid Motors Lanka Eddie Lo quipped that he had seen a lot of people driving hybrid cars while in Sri Lanka, there was no service centre for them to go to for a problem and assured that the company planned to expand the number of service centres around the island as more hybrid vehicles enter the market.“In line with the vision of the President and the Government of Sri Lanka, who believe in the good effects of safeguarding the environment we live in, we will also strive to promote the green concept in Sri Lanka,” said Lo.

Although hybrid cars are becoming increasingly popular, there is no warranty issued with the car, nor are there any service centres to meet the mechanical needs of such cars here. Hybrid Motors Singapore imports hybrid vehicles into Singapore, but with regard to its Sri Lankan operations, it will presently contribute towards the technical and service needs of hybrid vehicles. The company is also considering importing hybrid vehicles to Sri Lanka in the near future. According to Hybrid Motors Lanka Sales Director Azli Ismail, the labour cost charged by the company will be on par with local car service centres while the cost of spare parts will be as determined by the manufacturers.

Currently the company is planning on working with hybrid car dealers to sell with a warranty to ensure that the car can be serviced and maintained. Hybrid Motors Lanka Technical Director Robert White added that the services provided at the centre would be of superior standard since the company had garnered experience from the last four years in servicing hybrid vehicles. An increasing number of people are showing interest in hybrid cars to save on fuel and car manufacturers too are now moving towards producing these green friendly cars.

http://www.ft.lk/2011/08/06/sri-lanka-gets-first-hybrid-service-centre/

Yes Mr. I-didnt-know-my-wheels-were-alloys, WE know servicing a hybrid is no different from servicing a normal car. Now look at the article you posted. Does it say "repairs" anywhere? It says "service" maybe next time you bark out loud think of what you're barking about and if you have already barked about it before.

And dont try to wash ur hands off responsibility saying that you just quoted it, and that you didnt write it, when you make a post publicizing such articles its as good as you saying it.

You are really trying extremely hard to create a problem out of nothing aren't you.

Since you don't know, that place does do full diagnosis, and repairs of hybrids. They just didn't publicize it in their press release for obvious reasons, and the newspapers didn't carry that part of the story either. You really think that three Singaporeans and a sudtha invested all that money and effort, and moved to Sri Lanka so they could do oil changes all day long on local Prii and Insights.

Maybe heading this would have got through to you better.

First Dedicated Hybrid Vehicle Service and Repair Center in Sri Lanka opens this Monday, 8 August 2011

Hybrid-Press.jpg

Edited by Californikan

You are really trying extremely hard to create a problem out of nothing aren't you.

Since you don't know, that place does do full diagnosis, and repairs of hybrids. They just didn't publicize it in their press release for obvious reasons, and the newspapers didn't carry that part of the story either. You really think that three Singaporeans and a sudtha invested all that money and effort, and moved to Sri Lanka so they could do oil changes all day long on local Prii and Insights.

Maybe heading this would have got through to you better.

First Dedicated Hybrid Vehicle Service and Repair Center in Sri Lanka opens this Monday, 8 August 2011

Hybrid-Press.jpg

But thats not what it says.

And you can never say. Considering the lack of facilities and the gulibility of your typical buyer (evidenced here at AL, and the comments on that link Watchman put) those 5000+ hybrids will probably provide a pretty good revenue stream even if all they do is change oil. Not much of a cost in terms of labour, material and time, and they can charge a premium from chaps like sauron who seems to think they are riding gods chariot.

• Like 1

I think i like the BMW hydrogen model more, best part is there are no electric motors connected so its going to be exactly the same as driving a petrol car. That means you still can get the same feel and sound of a gas guzzling v8 or a v12 and only emit water.

Honda model is good but as a driving enthusiast i dont like quiet cars, for me 50% of my driving pleasure is the sound of the car when it revs and you wont get that from the Honda.

P.S- "luft" is air in German

Edited by The Stig

But thats not what it says.

And you can never say. Considering the lack of facilities and the gulibility of your typical buyer (evidenced here at AL, and the comments on that link Watchman put) those 5000+ hybrids will probably provide a pretty good revenue stream even if all they do is change oil. Not much of a cost in terms of labour, material and time, and they can charge a premium from chaps like sauron who seems to think they are riding gods chariot.

True, which is why I originally reported it as a service center exactly as the press release said.

Many people take their car to the agent for oil changes and other easy routine maintenance even though most other places can do it for much less. There's a certain 'comfort' factor involved in that decision to take the car to the agents. I suspect many hybrid owners might feel a similar comfort factor in taking their hybrid to this 'dedicated hybrid service center' for all their servicing needs as well.

In any case, it's in the (probably rare) repairs of issues involving the hybrid system that these fellows will make a killing.