• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Automatic Gearbox

nano31

Does anyone help me to find a good expert in repairing Automatic gearboxes from southern province (or anywhere else), Mine is Corolla CE110 crystal light

I think SL, there aren't that many places who have the skills to repair an auto box and do so cost effectively. I think I would consider replacing it with a used one, and considering the model of car finding one should not be a problem.

What is the problem with your current transmission ?

My corolla (CE110, 1997) auto gearbox has L-2-D-N-R-P positions.

I put it in to D, It take sometime (car moving very slowly >> not moving) to engage and after engine racing it suddenly engage (with jerk, as im racing the engine) then it is fine.

"Kick down" also works very well.

The problem doesn't always persist and sometimes it happens and sometimes it wont.

When I put the gear to L or 2, It works fine with it limits.

If I stop the car in D while ascending a hill and let the car to b in its engine idle, car slowly moving down hill, If I do not put the idle up but it works perfect in the L position

I did the ATF change 5000km back at present my total mileage is 163,000 km

• Like 1

My corolla (CE110, 1997) auto gearbox has L-2-D-N-R-P positions.

I put it in to D, It take sometime (car moving very slowly >> not moving) to engage and after engine racing it suddenly engage (with jerk, as im racing the engine) then it is fine.

"Kick down" also works very well.

The problem doesn't always persist and sometimes it happens and sometimes it wont.

When I put the gear to L or 2, It works fine with it limits.

If I stop the car in D while ascending a hill and let the car to b in its engine idle, car slowly moving down hill, If I do not put the idle up but it works perfect in the L position

I did the ATF change 5000km back at present my total mileage is 163,000 km

Well I think the easiest thing to do at this stage is to change your ATF fluid and filter and see if it makes a difference. And you will have to do this at a reputable place and I suggest the agents, because the wrong type of fluid, incorrect fluid type, faulty extraction and replacement can all cause intermittent problems with the automatic transmission.

It's a shame you live down south as I'm unable to recommend a good place to get the job done closer to home.

Is the car idling well or does it knock a bit when on idle ?

• Like 1

I use recommended type of ATF always. I feel my engine (diesel) vibrate (not knocking ) a little bit more at idle specially in morning just after starting and I need to see my rear engine mount as well.

It would be ok if u could recommend place/person who does that thing even somewhere around western province.

Edited by nano31

We had the same issue with our G.vitara it too is a 1998 model and has done abt 120k. So I guess its the same issue. Issue occurs due to an internal oil seal aging and being unable to maintain a certain internal oil pressure which is needed to engage the gear. Replacing these oil seals work.

Sadly we got it fixed in colombo, so you might have to bring your car to colombo. it was at a place called Nilawala Motors (dont know directions cos my dad took it to be fixed). Maybe someone who knows the place can give u directions. If its a consolation, the main mechanic/owner is actually from matara so maybe you've heard of him?

• Like 1

We had the same issue with our G.vitara it too is a 1998 model and has done abt 120k. So I guess its the same issue. Issue occurs due to an internal oil seal aging and being unable to maintain a certain internal oil pressure which is needed to engage the gear. Replacing these oil seals work.

Sadly we got it fixed in colombo, so you might have to bring your car to colombo. it was at a place called Nilawala Motors (dont know directions cos my dad took it to be fixed). Maybe someone who knows the place can give u directions. If its a consolation, the main mechanic/owner is actually from matara so maybe you've heard of him?

Then there is hope for nano31. Watchman, could you found out from your father of the approximate location of this garage?

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Watchman, The Don;

Have u got any idea about the cost for replacing oil seals?

Please guide me any clues about the place of that place, if possible!

Does anyone knows the places to buy the spares for auto gearboxes?

Thanks

Edited by nano31

There is a place called 3 St*r motors in Seeduwa. It is in the seeduwa Raddoluwa Rd./ About 1 KM from the Negombo Rd. They repaired my auto gear box, a year back. UP t date it is working very well. I can recommend this place

Thanks

I'll ask for the location the next time i talk to dad. The whole thing cost around 30k I think (parts included).

Another place I have heard of (also on the forum) is along high-level road little before or after the Munchi Biscuit Factory. If i remember right the place is a pretty big 2 storied semi-built building to the left hand side with a "turbo+ Auto transmission repair" board.... Anyone else recall the place?

• Like 1

Dear Watchman, I highly appreciate ur support!

But I think 30k is too much in the way of repairing aint it so? 'cause we might find recon one around 30~35k!

Any other suggestions, my dear friends?

But I think 30k is too much in the way of repairing aint it so? 'cause we might find recon one around 30~35k!

You can get a re con one for 30 or 35K, but who knows on what is the condition of it. For 30K you can do a complete repair & you can be sure about it. I prefer repairing the gear box, rather than buying a recon one

• Like 1

well, upto you on what you think is better. Like edward says you never know how the used (dont be fooled by the word 'recon') gearbox was used.

In my case, finding a gearbox for a diesel G.vitara wasn't as easy as finding one for a corolla. So a repair was more feasible.

• Like 1

Yeah I know that reconditioned is just equal to used!

I agree with Edward and Watchman.

But finding spares for CE110 is quite easy.

What my plan is that first I am gonna replace ATF and clean/replace filter(as I can get it done almost free!!)

if it wont solve my problem I would go for professional diagnosis then estimate the cost of repairing and replacing the GB and then I will decide.

I will keep my friends informed.

ANY WORD ABOUT A PLACE TO BUY SPARES FOR AUTOMATIC BOX would be highly appreciated?

Thanks

Edited by nano31

Changing the ATF fluid will not solve your problem as long as the fluid level is where it should be. Your issue is either the torque converter or the pump. Basically a pressure issue which can be checked with a gauge. One slight possibility also is a clogged filter.

Changing the ATF fluid will not solve your problem as long as the fluid level is where it should be. Your issue is either the torque converter or the pump. Basically a pressure issue which can be checked with a gauge. One slight possibility also is a clogged filter.

Dear Friend,

Changing ATF will be a temporary solution. The possibility get the filter is not that easy under normal circumstances and that is not a normal filter, it is a strainer. Your problem can be resolved up to certain extent by using a AT treatment. But it is not recomended as it solves the problem by making the existing worn rubber parts swell. In this case there is no limit of swell can be defined.

A recon gear box will be atleast 50000rs. Hence the decision up to you.

Yep, we tried cleaning the filter and changing the oil, ran maybe a week or so, and the problem was back. Out problem was far beyond the point where cleaning the filter/strainer would fix it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay, I my self removed the auto box's oil sump and ATF; the filter is almost clogged, Cleaned and dried with petrol and reinstall and filled with new ATF, problem is solved!!

Thanks

Nilwala Motors - 162 Madiwala Road, Udahamulla - 2834190

Nilwala Motors - 162 Madiwala Road, Udahamulla - 2834190

I guess it's a bit too late to reply for this post now since the OP has already solved his issues. :) But just for the record thought of sharing this. I had a similar problem in my FB14(Auto) about 3 years ago. The engine had to be accelerated more than usual to shift it to the second gear while driving in D. The issue was solved by Nilwala Motors within one day. they installed some repair kit and the problem was solved. It cost me Rs 14,000 for the repair and i used the car for another 6 months until i sold it. It didn't give any issues during that period. So, i guess those guys provide a pretty decent service when it comes to repairing auto boxes

Edited by LashNeo