• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Engine Oil

dtd

Question

hi,

Car: swift vxi 1297cc, run about 8000km

it did about 15km/ltr, but after first oil change now does about 13km/ltr with 95 petrol.

Oil specified: (SG+,SG or SG-) 5W30 or 10w30

I'm thinking to switching to a oil with low viscosity.

what is more suitable. can i switch to 20 grade?

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

hi,

it did about 15km/ltr, but after first oil change now does about 13km/ltr with 95 petrol.

The drop in fuel consumption could not have been caused by the oil change. It is possible a sensor was damaged during the service or another mechanical or electronic issue. If the car does not have a visible issue (engine is idling fine, no lights on etc) take the car to A*W and tell them to run a diagnostic.

For oil, always stick with the manufacturer specification. Failure to do so would either result in excessive wear in the engine or not enough oil pressure !

• Like 1

hi,

First up, you shouldn't be pumping 95 petrol to an Indian Swift. Most of the cars to the Indian market are designed for low octane petrol so use 90 instead.

If I'm not mistaken, the recommended engine oil for Maruti Swift is 20W40 not 5W30 or 10W30. 5W and 10W cold start viscosity engine oils are suitable for cold climates not the Sri Lankan climate. Please check with your user manual or check with the agent. But I really doubt if that is the cause of your problem.

Did u change your driving style after the first 5000km or so? That could also affect the change in fuel consumption.

Edited by Crosswind

If I'm not mistaken, the recommended engine oil for Maruti Swift is 20W40 not 5W30 or 10W30. 5W and 10W cold start viscosity engine oils are suitable for cold climates not the Sri Lankan climate. Please check with your user manual or check with the agent. But I really doubt if that is the cause of your problem.

the lower viscosity numbers probably apply for synth/semi-synth oils... e.g. for my car, the recommendation (even in hot countries) is 5W40 fully synthetic or 15W50 semi-synthetic. afaik there is no unsuitability of such oils in Sri Lanka, except for the price premium of fully synth oils.

hi,

15kmpl to 13 kmpl it is hell of drop.. i guess you take it to A*W and do a proper check. By the way.. i thought oil change interval is 5000Km why you wait till 8000Km??

In the breaktrough proceedure if u drove at 40kmph without sudden stoping the fuel economy

would be high and after that drove it like u stole it it would decrease,

By the way the company must have filled a fully synthetic with fuel saving aditive after normal oil was added the eco might be lowered, this is natural

But it is a wast using the primium price oils to increase a mere 2kmpl (calculate it u'r self) in a maruti swift.

• Like 1

15kmpl to 13 kmpl it is hell of drop.. i guess you take it to A*W and do a proper check.

Really? I'm not so sure. I personally wouldn't be worried as a slight change in traffic volumes or driving style could cause this. I'd monitor the consumption a bit more before panicking. What's the average consumption for this car and what's the accepted deviation?

Plus for new cars the manufacturer sometimes ships them with a 'break in' oil that has a different viscosity and a whole bunch of additives that gets swapped out for regular oil at the proper viscosity during the first service. This practice helps protect the engine and flushes out any manufacturing residue - Perhaps that's why you're recording a difference?

Either way I wouldn't panic over a deviation of 2kmpl. Relax, enjoy the new car and monitor things for a couple of oil changes.

Edited by Kavvz

For oil, always stick with the manufacturer specification. Failure to do so would either result in excessive wear in the engine or not enough oil pressure !

Makes sense, plus you haven't even really broken the car in yet; 8000km is still pretty darn new. Oh and congrats on the purchase btw...

Really? I'm not so sure. I personally wouldn't be worried as a slight change in traffic volumes or driving style could cause this. I'd monitor the consumption a bit more before panicking. What's the average consumption for this car and what's the accepted deviation?

Either way I wouldn't panic over a deviation of 2kmpl. Relax, enjoy the new car and monitor things for a couple of oil changes.

:punish2: I don't bother about that either. But if I say so the OP will be so dissapointed.

Edited by MkX

The drop in fuel consumption could not have been caused by the oil change. It is possible a sensor was damaged during the service or another mechanical or electronic issue. If the car does not have a visible issue (engine is idling fine, no lights on etc) take the car to A*W and tell them to run a diagnostic.

Thanks Don,

gonna take it there for a diogno.

but when i start the car and get down and check the silencer i saw higher exhaust pressure than it used to be.

so i think you are right.

i had a minor accident where i changed my bonnet, shell, buffer.

could have caused something at the garage (A*W)

thanks

First up, you shouldn't be pumping 95 petrol to an Indian Swift. Most of the cars to the Indian market are designed for low octane petrol so use 90 instead.

Did u change your driving style after the first 5000km or so? That could also affect the change in fuel consumption.

you're right. its indian swift

but the user manual clearly says use petrol of more than 93 octane.

once the petrol-shed mistakenly put normal petrol at my second petrol filling (abt 1400km) where i noticed missings in engine. and low gear climbs in my regular route.

and the engine oil also as same as above mentioned.

Thanks

15kmpl to 13 kmpl it is hell of drop.. i guess you take it to A*W and do a proper check. By the way.. i thought oil change interval is 5000Km why you wait till 8000Km??

did the oil change at 5000,

8000 is now running mileage

Thanks

In the breaktrough proceedure if u drove at 40kmph without sudden stoping the fuel economy

would be high and after that drove it like u stole it it would decrease,

By the way the company must have filled a fully synthetic with fuel saving aditive after normal oil was added the eco might be lowered, this is natural

But it is a wast using the primium price oils to increase a mere 2kmpl (calculate it u'r self) in a maruti swift.

no change to my driving style;

don't know what was the fist oil fill, but the second fill was Castrol GTX 10w30 SL

the cost difference in fuel for 5000kms as follows

5000/13=385liters => LKR55,000

5000/15=333liters => LKR47,670

so its about 7,000 rupees.

Thanks

you're right. its indian swift

but the user manual clearly says use petrol of more than 93 octane.

once the petrol-shed mistakenly put normal petrol at my second petrol filling (abt 1400km) where i noticed missings in engine. and low gear climbs in my regular route.

and the engine oil also as same as above mentioned.

Thanks

That's interesting. You should definitely stick to what the user manual says. My knowledge in Indian cars is a few years old and from what I knew, even octane 90 is a luxury in India. Perhaps things have changed or perhaps the export market vehicles are installed with a different engine (Indian made Swift is exported to many countries).

In any case, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Crosswind

Makes sense, plus you haven't even really broken the car in yet; 8000km is still pretty darn new. Oh and congrats on the purchase btw...

thanks Kavvz,

may be you're right.

after the weekend kandy run it pointed at 346kms in little less to half tank (abt 20liters)

i also feel should see a little bit to panic