• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

3 hours ago, matroska said:

apologies for the delay. 

here we go 

image.png

Dont know where to start on this. Bought on BOI permits in the late 1990s. Made in South Korea by a company now owned by an Indian company, the vehicle brand name was different to both. Bastardized by the Chinese in the later years. Remarkably what I hear is that the local agent was the agent for the South Korean company as well as the brand this belonged to at that time.

18 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Dont know where to start on this. Bought on BOI permits in the late 1990s. Made in South Korea by a company now owned by an Indian company, the vehicle brand name was different to both. Bastardized by the Chinese in the later years. Remarkably what I hear is that the local agent was the agent for the South Korean company as well as the brand this belonged to at that time.

Yes correct - shall we wait for someone else to answer? 

Had these for one of the chandelling projects we did at the ports along with some Sonatas. Despite its name (I am sure the manufacturer really thought it was), there was nothing palatial about this car. One would have expected it to be grand as the Istanas in Singpaore, Indonesia, etc... <atleast for the passenger variants> nor did the van variants have any ruggedness <although have to admit these things ran even with the body falling off>

I also think many thought that it would have touches of luxury and ruggedness from the European marquee the model was borrowed from. 

Edited by iRage

On 7/5/2023 at 12:06 PM, matroska said:

apologies for the delay. 

here we go 

image.png

Since no one bothered to answer this is a Mercedes-Benz MB100 van. It was built by Ssangyong in South Korea, was also called the Istana.

44 minutes ago, matroska said:

Correct. Not the most common sight on our roads but not super rare either - you see a few time to time. 

@iRage or @Gummybr take the floor. 

D*MO has one still in good condition, some have gone out of Colombo and dont think well maintained. Think they took the drive train from this and hence the Ssangyongs (mostly the Musso) were advertised as having MB engines. I remember Musso's with the 65- numbers had a D*MO sticker on the rear windscreen.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:38 PM, Gummybr said:

Ok here goes, a few cars in the country has a very comfy ride and not to everyone's taste. Few angles to make it easy. 

Trivia 1.jpg

trivia.jpg

This was a good one. "comfy ride" suggested suspension so I started off in the direction of a automaker who was famous for being very creative with the technology related to  suspension. Oui Oui I think I know what this is. 

2 hours ago, matroska said:

This was a good one. "comfy ride" suggested suspension so I started off in the direction of a automaker who was famous for being very creative with the technology related to  suspension. Oui Oui I think I know what this is. 

This was in my budget range when I sold the Rav4, but didnt let the heart decide and took the more rational path. Have driven a manual version of this and it was lovely (not the drive but the comfort). I can say you are on the right path.

11 hours ago, matroska said:

out of curiosity - what did you chose after the Rav 4 - remember you looking for a CE106 Wagon?

That could be a trivia for you guys itself 😋 went for something cheap, cheap to run, easy to maintain, parts available freely and very easy to sell. All this because I need something cheap and easy to dispose of and wont loose a lot of money on.

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

That could be a trivia for you guys itself 😋 went for something cheap, cheap to run, easy to maintain, parts available freely and very easy to sell. All this because I need something cheap and easy to dispose of and wont loose a lot of money on.

You got a Maruti ? Alto ? Can't be a Celery as those things got a bad rep.

Wait...this isn't the trivia pic is it...I am so confused.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

You got a Maruti ? Alto ? Can't be a Celery as those things got a bad rep.

Wait...this isn't the trivia pic is it...I am so confused.

Bang on @iRage Alto 800 it is as it will be used for a very short period. And yes you are right you need to give answer to the pictures I posted.

47 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Bang on @iRage Alto 800 it is as it will be used for a very short period. And yes you are right you need to give answer to the pictures I posted.

I was gonna go with the first gen Alto :D seems I got pretty close.

As for the trivia- let's wait for irage to have a crack at it too 

Edited by matroska