• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cr51 4Wd Remove

thusithk

I am not an expert on this field but what I should advise you is that it is going to be some expensive project and would definitely lessen the second hand market value (when comparing with CR51 4WD).

I personal advise is to sell the CR51 and buy CR41/42 or 27 "lotto".

Hi Guys,

I have a CR51 full time 4WD and want to remove 4WD to use as 2WD. I want to know, how difficult to do that and what are the side effects.

Need your advice,

Thanks

What is the reason that you want to dis engage the 4WD?

Hi Guys,

I have a CR51 full time 4WD and want to remove 4WD to use as 2WD. I want to know, how difficult to do that and what are the side effects.

Need your advice,

Thanks

Well to do a proper job you will have to swap the front hubs with 2WD versions (this might impact other related bits like suspension and suspension arms), and if the transfer box is integrated into the gear box you will have to replace the gearbox and possibly other bits.

There might also be changes necessary interior trim like gear lever, gear lever surround etc

If done properly the side effects would be minimal but the cost will vary depending on how many of the components are shared with the 2WD version

I don't think its possible to carry out a straight forward hub swap, the CR51 comes with 14" wheels with a 5 stud bolt pattern. Also there is no transfer case, its only got a torque converter, hence why its a full time 4wd, not part time like the previous townace/liteace models.

Shouldn't you have taken all this in to consideration BEFORE you bought a AWD vehicle?

but then he won't be a stereotypical Sri Lankan car buyer. See what's important in the car is the TV/DVD/Nav system (even though the navigation does not work. Everything else should be figured out after the vehicle is purchased.

but then he won't be a stereotypical Sri Lankan car buyer. See what's important in the car is the TV/DVD/Nav system (even though the navigation does not work. Everything else should be figured out after the vehicle is purchased.

have you noticed that most ads in SL does not mention Engine/Transmission? All they say is if it has 'dicky' light, Es pihatu light, scoop light, nicekl door handle, driver side dildo, wanker light, etc.

Normally in far more developed car markets, the price of the car is determined by the power-plant/drive train combination and a certain level of the trims... not here... if the car has a Push Start and Nickel door handles and wanker lights, we are good to go!

have you noticed that most ads in SL does not mention Engine/Transmission? All they say is if it has 'dicky' light, Es pihatu light, scoop light, nicekl door handle, driver side dildo, wanker light, etc.

Normally in far more developed car markets, the price of the car is determined by the power-plant/drive train combination and a certain level of the trims... not here... if the car has a Push Start and Nickel door handles and wanker lights, we are good to go!

No kidding. I placed an ad for the tribute when I was planning on selling it. The title started with Mazda tribute 3.0L v6 and people actually asked me what the 3.0L v6 part of the ad means. Oh yeah an the first question a few other people had was if it had reverse sensors and cameras. I seriously think a lot of these people might actually be better off with beltas, axios and allions.

Edited by jdnet

Some people cannot visualize an engine bigger than 1.8 liters... :)

I had some weirdos call me for the Alfa, when I said 3.0 liters, that was simply beyond their intellectual capacity... ;)

Saw somewhere a guy selling a Allion, his selling point was ' feel the power of a 1800cc engine'. ROFLMAO!!!!

But the words Sunroof, leather electric seats and alloys go down well.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Need your advice,

Thanks

well, i will tel you how to do this.

1. you have to change the Gear box (assume that you have 4WD manual gear box. you have to change it with 2WD manual gear box. it will comes with the Gear box mount and Gear leaver. cost may be 50,000/- if you want gear box let me know)

2. you have to change Front Suspension system (Complete front hub, Shock absorber set, power steering rack including tie road ends and Rack ends, upper and lower ball joints, plus suspension bar. cost 30,000/- )

3. May be change 1st part of the differential. (Cost 5,000/-)

total cost maybe 100,000/-

__________ NO SIDE EFFECTS ___________________

BTW can you tel me your CR51 fuel consumption?

if you want more information contact me.

Edited by Nilantha

Hi Guys,

Need your advice,

Thanks

As it is a CR51 i reckon it has the 2c engine, that model was particularly underpowered.. First take a look at your engine, high chance that I maybe needing attention also the fuel pump, other than that the 4wd is a very good option, it has a lot of traction quite useful in the hilly areas, No issues at all with the 4wd system also, but I have done an engine upgrade.

I don't see a difference in the fuel economy, I've been having one since 2002, still going strong, If you really wanna see the difference take the front prop shaft off, and take it for a spin.. It doesn't do much, btw make sure you put it back on afterwards

People here think that AWD is like running a 4wd select vehicle in the 4wd High range all the time,

so they've made it up as if the parts wear off too fast, and the fuel consumption is high and all that,

But manufacturers consider all these before making an AWD.. I'm sure you are on this impression too..

Edited by tiv

As it is a CR51 i reckon it has the 2c engine, that model was particularly underpowered.. First take a look at your engine, high chance that I maybe needing attention also the fuel pump, other than that the 4wd is a very good option, it has a lot of traction quite useful in the hilly areas, No issues at all with the 4wd system also, but I have done an engine upgrade.

I don't see a difference in the fuel economy, I've been having one since 2002, still going strong, If you really wanna see the difference take the front prop shaft off, and take it for a spin.. It doesn't do much, btw make sure you put it back on afterwards

People here think that AWD is like running a 4wd select vehicle in the 4wd High range all the time,

so they've made it up as if the parts wear off too fast, and the fuel consumption is high and all that,

But manufacturers consider all these before making an AWD.. I'm sure you are on this impression too..

How come 2C underpowered. if underpowered why put it in to the CR41. 2C engine is perfect & fuel economical engine i have ever seen. but 3C engine, that comes with the CR42 Little powerful than 2C. but 3C Turbo engine is more powerful but it is not fuel economical than 2C normal engine. i think, for domestic use 2C Powered CR41 is a best option. also 2C engine parts are cheap, can buy from anywhere, anyhow tell us the fuel consumption of your vehicle also.

How come 2C underpowered. if underpowered why put it in to the CR41. 2C engine is perfect & fuel economical engine i have ever seen. but 3C engine, that comes with the CR42 Little powerful than 2C. but 3C Turbo engine is more powerful but it is not fuel economical than 2C normal engine. i think, for domestic use 2C Powered CR41 is a best option. also 2C engine parts are cheap, can buy from anywhere, anyhow tell us the fuel consumption of your vehicle also.

2C was an engine made a decade ago, it was very good in the older variants, still good in the 41, but for the CR41 and 51 it was not that gutsy enough, especially for the 51 all those 4wd components makes it heavier isn't it?,And then why did they chuck in a 3c from 1998-1999 onwards to almost the same vehicle and to BOTH the models?? I'm sure the japs are as concerned as you are on fuel and reliability.. They could have just gone on with the brilliant 2c is it? or put a 2c-T??. you'll see other users who may have experienced this will add in..

I used the 2c for about 8 years did 2 rebuilds, then swapped it for a 3C-T, pulls way better.. as for the fuel consumption its almost the same 13-14km/litre with aircon

Edited by tiv

2C was an engine made a decade ago, it was very good in the older variants, still good in the 41, but for the CR41 and 51 it was not that gutsy enough, especially for the 51 all those 4wd components makes it heavier isn't it?,And then why did they chuck in a 3c from 1998-1999 onwards to almost the same vehicle and to BOTH the models?? I'm sure the japs are as concerned as you are on fuel and reliability.. They could have just gone on with the brilliant 2c is it? or put a 2c-T??. you'll see other users who may have experienced this will add in..

I used the 2c for about 8 years did 2 rebuilds, then swapped it for a 3C-T, pulls way better.. as for the fuel consumption its almost the same 13-14km/litre with aircon

agreed. If you want to see how bad it is you would need to take a cr-41 with a 2c mated to an auto tranny. Overtaking is a nightmare.

Edited by jdnet

agreed. If you want to see how bad it is you would need to take a cr-41 with a 2c mated to an auto tranny. Overtaking is a nightmare.

Yeah, along with the engine I swapped a manual 4wd box as well, got the entire kit, the gauge cluster, gaiter, etc,

however its still Awd and can easily follow the defender in quite rutty tracks in the hillside..

Edited by tiv

Yeah, along with the engine I swapped a manual 4wd box as well, got the entire kit, the gauge cluster, gaiter, etc,

however its still Awd and can easily follow the defender in quite rutty tracks in the hillside..

what engine you swapped mate it's a 3c turbo or 3c non turbo engine? and how much it cost you to do the complete job?.

It cost 2.5 for the engine and bits, and another 45000 for the gearbox and ancillaries,

Its a 3c turbo, not the EFI model, its just a bolt on job..

Edited by tiv

It cost 2.5 for the engine and bits, and another 45000 for the gearbox and ancillaries,

Its a 3c turbo, not the EFI model, its just a bolt on job..

thanks for sharing this mate. :)

Many Thanks for your suggestion’s.

The reason for converting 4WD to 2WD is, I bout CR51 recently because I like the outer look and the height.

But on that vehicle, the fuel consumption is too high and I feel the engine pickup is low because of the 4WD.

I thought that would be the reason :lol:

Strange though that you feel it doesnt pick up.....I would imagin it would go better with full time 4wd.

How high is your fuel consumption that youre upset by it?

is this 13-14kmL on city drive or long distance running? i think this Fuel millage is too enough for 4WD. if this is long distance running what is your KM per L when city running?

Now delkanda have 3C T engine without gear box for 180,000/- last June i did my engine repair. it cost me 140,000/- i was thinking to replace with recon engine. but most ppl told me its very difficult to tel the recon engine condition. so i did repair without replacing and without taking the risk with 3CT. mine giving me 11kmpl when city and 15kmpl when long distance with full time AC on. it is CR41 2WD with 2C normal engine, 17C Ac Compressor and 14" Goodyear tyres with AWD Nitrogen pumped.

Edited by Nilantha

So basically yours is the best and everyone else's is just crap? :rolleyes:

is this 13-14kmL on city drive or long distance running? i think this Fuel millage is too enough for 4WD. if this is long distance running what is your KM per L when city running?

Now delkanda have 3C T engine without gear box for 180,000/- last June i did my engine repair. it cost me 140,000/- i was thinking to replace with recon engine. but most ppl told me its very difficult to tel the recon engine condition. so i did repair without replacing and without taking the risk with 3CT. mine giving me 11kmpl when city and 15kmpl when long distance with full time AC on. it is CR41 2WD with 2C normal engine, 17C Ac Compressor and 14" Goodyear tyres with AWD Nitrogen pumped.

now now, dont go pulling your hair just cos someone with a bigger engine got better fuel consumption as you :)

• Like 1