• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brand New Indian Or Used Japanese

asankabs

im planing to buy a new car, my maximum budget is 1.7M.

for this price i can buy an almost brand new indian car like a-star or estilo.

or i can buy a 10 year old japan car like ek3 or familia

there are some other cars at the middle of this, like proton gen 2, march AK12 and swift 2002-2003(which i dont like)

so what wold be the best choice? new indian car or 10-12 year old Japanese car.

my main considerations are

high fuel efficiency and less maintenance

because im gona travel kandy to col. in weekends so it must be very reliable car. and this is my first car and it would be better if it's a manual one.

i searched old threads but didn't found a good choice.

there are some other cars at the middle of this, like proton gen 2, march AK12 and swift 2002-2003(which i dont like)

because im gona travel kandy to col. in weekends so it must be very reliable car. and this is my first car and it would be better if it's a manual one.

Used Japanese cars for sure.

Nissan FB14 (manual) is also a good option.

You can add the Perodua Viva to your list as well, it's receiving a lot a high praise and is reportedly quite economical.

Obviously, the brand new (smaller) cars would mean no trips to the garage, but as it's for outstation driving, comfort and space will be your biggest issue, not to mention the lack of power.

The Gen 2 is a nice car, and I believe Pericles owns one, so you can PM him for details on that one.

The Jap sedans are old, but they're not unreliable, unless you buy yourself a hacked one. I personally would suggest a Familia. They're generally the least expensive out of the lot.

Might I suggest a Perodua Viva? its only been discussed about a hundred times lately.... Consensus is that it is a better choice than the Indian options.

Gen2 is a great choice if u can afford the relatively high fuel bill. The car does about 8-9 km to the litre.

If you plan to get a Gen2, get one which was imported brand new to the country. Avoid the recon Singapore imported cars like the plague.

Another similar option is Proton Impian. It's also a great car with lots of options but does a bit lower than Gen2 on fuel, because its heavier. It has the same engine as Gen2.

Let me know if u need any more help on Protons.

Edited by Crosswind

Gen2 is a great choice if u can afford the relatively high fuel bill. The car does about 8-9 km to the litre.

If you plan to get a Gen2, get one which was imported brand new to the country. Avoid the recon Singapore imported cars like the plague.

Another similar option is Proton Impian. It's also a great car with lots of options but does a bit lower than Gen2 on fuel, because its heavier. It has the same engine as Gen2.

Let me know if u need any more help on Protons.

We get 9-10. The on-board computer says 10.7litres/100km, been a long time since we reset now. Bought brand new, auto, 1.6l, 5 years old.

You can add the Perodua Viva to your list as well, it's receiving a lot a high praise and is reportedly quite economical.

Obviously, the brand new (smaller) cars would mean no trips to the garage, but as it's for outstation driving, comfort and space will be your biggest issue, not to mention the lack of power.

The Gen 2 is a nice car, and I believe Pericles owns one, so you can PM him for details on that one.

The Jap sedans are old, but they're not unreliable, unless you buy yourself a hacked one. I personally would suggest a Familia. They're generally the least expensive out of the lot.

personally i don't like viva but if it's a really good option, i will go for it. yes i can get a 2002 familia around 1.7 mil. also how about AK12?

We get 9-10. The on-board computer says 10.7litres/100km, been a long time since we reset now. Bought brand new, auto, 1.6l, 5 years old.

if it's a 1.6 one, i think these figures are good. i think there is a 1.3 version of this car and it may have better figures. however, how about the parts availability?

if it's a 1.6 one, i think these figures are good. i think there is a 1.3 version of this car and it may have better figures. however, how about the parts availability?

I doubt the 1.3 gets better fuel figures. Not enough power. Parts has never been an issue, but dad generally takes it to the agents. 40,000km, nothing major gone wrong. just some electric gremlins.

But there is quite a number of cars, specially around the Colombo and suburbs, so there should be parts around.

Interesting. Sometime back, I checked with the service advisor at the agents and they said that anything above 8 is a good figure for a Gen2. Any possibility of selling yours to me ;) ?

I doubt the 1.3 gets better fuel figures. Not enough power. Parts has never been an issue, but dad generally takes it to the agents. 40,000km, nothing major gone wrong. just some electric gremlins.

But there is quite a number of cars, specially around the Colombo and suburbs, so there should be parts around.

Parts are not an issue at all. There are few private importers who bring down spares. But the problem is finding mechanical expertise outside the agent. Sometime back I was trying to get a service guy there to do a bit of moonlighting. The bugger didn't agree.

Interesting. Sometime back, I checked with the service advisor at the agents and they said that anything above 8 is a good figure for a Gen2. Any possibility of selling yours to me ;) ?

Too late. Dad is giving it back to the agents, swapping for a Persona.

Can sugest a 1999 EK3 . can take for around 17k. resale value also high if maintained well. AE110 Corolla or Sprinter also a good car if can find for this budget.watch sunday H.. Ad...

If you dont know how to use the term "k" you shouldnt. The "k" is short for 1000; not 100,000

• Like 1

Too late. Dad is giving it back to the agents, swapping for a Persona.

Cool... then I know where to look for a Gen2 :D

your dad seems to be hooked on to Protons... btw I happened to see a used 2010 Persona for sale at the agents for an amount well below the B/N price.

Edited by Crosswind

buddy go for a estilo..... or astar.......

good in fuel and brand new u could use for the cuming 5 years... low maintenence

if u select estilo it does 18 km/l thats super kool n its a soft ride...

its having a market 2.

i m havin maruti 800 . alto , and a estilo

really gud in fuel but in comfort and space estilo is good

if u go for the estilo... change the oil filter position coz originally it comes tooo low... u know srilanka roads u hit on a bumper u got problem

so with ya budjet go for A*W or.... vivaelite full option ..see for the vehicle space when choosing

good in fuel and brand new u could use for the cuming 5 years... low maintenence

its having a market 2.

if u go for the estilo... change the oil filter position coz originally it comes tooo low... u know srilanka roads u hit on a bumper u got problem

so with ya budjet go for A*W or.... vivaelite full option ..see for the vehicle space when choosing :alc::alc:

Members,

Today I did a 140 KMs drive up and down. Left Colombo early morning at 4.00 AM came back for lunch I was able to get without A/C in my Maruti van 15.5 Kms for liter of petrol. Speed not more than 60 KMs.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

its having a market 2.

so with ya budjet go for A*W or.... vivaelite full option ..see for the vehicle space when choosing :alc::alc:

thanks a lot