• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ce 110 - Ring Set Replacement

hasmax

Dear all. This is regarding a 97 CE110 sprinter AT with 148,000 on the clock. Had an issue with fuel consumption ( 8km/l long run ) plus terrible pulling power with almost poor engine rev. I had a topic about this before ( titled, CE 110 fuel consumption )here and got many valuable advices. With the help of them I got all basic things done namely ;

1. engine oil change

2. injector cleaning and pressuring ( nozzles were ok )

3. air, diesel and oil filter replacement

4. ATF change

But sadly nothing worked for me n left me with same problems plus damn smoke like old lorry plus lot of depression in me.

Today I met a mechanic who had worked at toyota company before and well reputed and after test run he instantly noticed that engine is very under-compressed and showed me oil splashing out. The previous owner had fooled me masking it by putting 50 instead of 40 engine oil plus lengthening the oil rod so it didnt splash when i check it before bying ( i was a big big fool, i accept that ). So this mechanic suggest a ring set replacement or engine overall costing me 15000 and 1.2 lax respectively. He also insisted that there are no " goda wedakan " for my problem. :(

So now i have 3 options, either sell this to a top fool like me ( not sure there are any more ), ring set replacement or engine overall. Anyway I personally like to keep the car as the look and stuff are impressive for me other than the things inside bonnet. If I keep this, I will use it for next 5-6 years until my 1st permit is given and i will run maximally 40,000 kms by that time. Considering that prospective time, mechanic said ring set replacement would suffice.

So from all the respected senior friends here I expect the views on following issues considering the details above.

1. What is the best option ? Must I sell it now or try to repair and keep with me ?

2. Will ring set replacement give the solution for current problem and enough ?

3. Do you have personal experience on ring set replacement and getting better performance ?

4. Is engine overall a must at this stage or can I reserve it for the next person who will buy it after 5 years hopefully if ring set thing worked ??

Please make me educated on this putting all your efforts as I must get an final decision within next 2-3 days. All your ideas are highly appreciated and respected.

Thanks in advance. regards

1. You can sell it for a lower price or otherwise you will have to find a one like you :) .And if this market trend persists you will be able to sell it once you got the permit.B'cos in Sri Lanka you can easily sell even a bullock cart if you fix a Toyota logo on it :P .And if you sell this now again you will have to find another car and what happens if you fool again?So it is better to keep your car and repair it. At least you know how your vehicle's inside is!

2.It depends on how your engine is,if its too worn ring replacement will not be enough. It can decide only after opening and when you going to open it up be ready for overhaul.If ring replacement will cover it'll be a bonus, otherwise go for a full.Sometimes mechanic says only about ring replacement to induce you. But after opening if he says "මහත්තය මේක ගෙවිල වැඩියි.ඕවරෝල් කරන්න වෙනව",What will you do? So be ready for the worst. And it is a major repair, so search few places,seek recommendations and choose a good place.

3.Did it once in a motor cycle.But it is a temporary solution.We got rid from it soon after it :D.And for a diesel, it will be too temporary.

4.Yes,you can do it.But only if you park it for next 5 years after ring replacement. :D

Edited by luckey007

Dear all. This is regarding a 97 CE110 sprinter AT with 148,000 on the clock. Had an issue with fuel consumption ( 8km/l long run ) plus terrible pulling power with almost poor engine rev. I had a topic about this before ( titled, CE 110 fuel consumption )here and got many valuable advices. With the help of them I got all basic things done namely ;

1. engine oil change

2. injector cleaning and pressuring ( nozzles were ok )

3. air, diesel and oil filter replacement

4. ATF change

But sadly nothing worked for me n left me with same problems plus damn smoke like old lorry plus lot of depression in me.

Today I met a mechanic who had worked at toyota company before and well reputed and after test run he instantly noticed that engine is very under-compressed and showed me oil splashing out. The previous owner had fooled me masking it by putting 50 instead of 40 engine oil plus lengthening the oil rod so it didnt splash when i check it before bying ( i was a big big fool, i accept that ). So this mechanic suggest a ring set replacement or engine overall costing me 15000 and 1.2 lax respectively. He also insisted that there are no " goda wedakan " for my problem. :(

So now i have 3 options, either sell this to a top fool like me ( not sure there are any more ), ring set replacement or engine overall. Anyway I personally like to keep the car as the look and stuff are impressive for me other than the things inside bonnet. If I keep this, I will use it for next 5-6 years until my 1st permit is given and i will run maximally 40,000 kms by that time. Considering that prospective time, mechanic said ring set replacement would suffice.

So from all the respected senior friends here I expect the views on following issues considering the details above.

1. What is the best option ? Must I sell it now or try to repair and keep with me ?

2. Will ring set replacement give the solution for current problem and enough ?

3. Do you have personal experience on ring set replacement and getting better performance ?

4. Is engine overall a must at this stage or can I reserve it for the next person who will buy it after 5 years hopefully if ring set thing worked ??

Please make me educated on this putting all your efforts as I must get an final decision within next 2-3 days. All your ideas are highly appreciated and respected.

Thanks in advance. regards

'hasmax',

If the engine is under compression then replacing the rings will temporary stop your problem all will depend on engine cylinder block wastage.That has to be decided after you dismantle the engine. if the engine was petrol then you can go for the next four years what you want to use the vehicle.Better you do a complete overhaul on the engine.

Sylvi Wijesinhe.

first of all...dont be so hard on yourself.

all of us get fooled from time to time...that's how you learn and hopefully pass on the knowledge so somebody else wont get screwed :)

like all the others have said... whether replacing rings alone will fix the issue really depends on how badly your cylinder bore is worn out.

You can take a chance by dumping 15k on the rings and try to see if it works. I have heard of cars where that has worked. But that really depends on how bad the situ is.

Doing a full overhaul of the engine with new pistons, rings and what not is the best way to go. That is if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

Or else you can come down on the price due to cost of the overhaul and go for something else.

That all depends on you finances.

If the there are no other issues with the car, if you do end up doing the overhaul, the engine at least will serve you many many years without trouble.

• Like 1

Feel sorry for your ordeal but in my opinion, it's a good time to sell an old Corolla. Prices seem to be sky high these days.

Please talk to a few more places like Edirisinghe Brothers, Lal and Nihal, Autoforce etc. about the overhaul. You might get it done for a lower cost.

Another alternative I can suggest is to replace the whole engine. I don't know if that would be cheaper/better. Perhaps someone who has mechanical expertise can enlighten me too.

first of all...dont be so hard on yourself.

all of us get fooled from time to time...that's how you learn and hopefully pass on the knowledge so somebody else wont get screwed :)

like all the others have said... whether replacing rings alone will fix the issue really depends on how badly your cylinder bore is worn out.

You can take a chance by dumping 15k on the rings and try to see if it works. I have heard of cars where that has worked. But that really depends on how bad the situ is.

Doing a full overhaul of the engine with new pistons, rings and what not is the best way to go. That is if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

Or else you can come down on the price due to cost of the overhaul and go for something else.

That all depends on you finances.

If the there are no other issues with the car, if you do end up doing the overhaul, the engine at least will serve you many many years without trouble.

Another option would be drop another Engine. but you have to source a good engine for that. we've done the same for our old CR 27 van and results were great. with the engine you get the other bits like Gear box, Power steering pump, A/C Compressor etc. you could sell the old engine as well.

• Like 2

ok guys.. now im getting clear a bit. So im going to keep it and repair. I went to several places and well, everyone says it's all depend on the condition of the engine and if u open the engine for a ring set repair, u must be ready to engine overall too. That is what all the autolanka friends are emphasizing too.

anyway one of the garage man was telling me best is engine replacement, while some other guy strongly convincing me that it is not good and best is the engine overall. So I am confusing about that. Actually what is the best considering my circumstances mentioned above ?

And, imagine i do an engine repair, will it definitely cure the problems I am facing now ??? bcoz if they persists I better die than living suffering :( any ideas ??

thank you for all the replies guys.. pls post more n more regarding this as everything helps me a lot.. thank you

ok guys.. now im getting clear a bit. So im going to keep it and repair. I went to several places and well, everyone says it's all depend on the condition of the engine and if u open the engine for a ring set repair, u must be ready to engine overall too. That is what all the autolanka friends are emphasizing too.

anyway one of the garage man was telling me best is engine replacement, while some other guy strongly convincing me that it is not good and best is the engine overall. So I am confusing about that. Actually what is the best considering my circumstances mentioned above ?

And, imagine i do an engine repair, will it definitely cure the problems I am facing now ??? bcoz if they persists I better die than living suffering :( any ideas ??

thank you for all the replies guys.. pls post more n more regarding this as everything helps me a lot.. thank you

'hasmax',

When I read your posts I think your problem is the cost what will be at last. Repairing full engine the cost labor charges will be any thin around Rs 20000.00.

Re boring new parts will cost you about another Rs.40000.00 or more.

I can give you a advice get a good mechanic who is well recommended will do at your home you can find lot of them.First of all to dismantle the engine head examine the engine block bore if it is not wasted much you can go for a ring set then the cost will be very much less. If the mechanic finds the re boring is necessary then you have to do a full overhaul.A good experienced mechanic will do a engine overhaul in 4 to 5 days only rings in 1 1/2 days.

at your home in front of you then you will gain some experience on the engine.

Find out re boring charges crank grinding charges new pistons and rings complete set new bearings overhaul gasket and packing's set. then you will know how much you will have to spend.Get a quotation from a mechanic who will do the job at your home.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The engines available here are from the used vehicles in Japan which can't export whole vehicle due to extended use or other reason.eg;accident. We don't know the quality of it. If you replace it and what happened if needs re-boring? Unless you buy an unused engine you have that risk. So better to do the repair.

Can't answer to your other question without proper examination of your vehicle and its better to refrain from asking such questions from an online forum.

it really depends on the condition of your engine mate.

there are loads of people who have dropped in recon engines from breaker shops and haven't had a problem with them. But as pothers have said, you ARE taking a chance there.

Repairing your current engine properly is the best bet cos you know what goes into it and it will serve you well for a long time provided you look after it well.

Personally, i would not mind dropping a recon engine from a breaker shop. But that's just me.

I have a pretty damn good mechanic, a few breaker shops i have conifidence and also somehwat ok knowledge in mechanics myself...

People drop jap used diesel engines all the time...

I have a pretty damn good mechanic, a few breaker shops i have confidence and also some what OK knowledge in mechanics myself...

People drop jap used diesel engines all the time...

'hasmax',

Listen to Ripper senior members advice get his Mechanic to remove your engine head fist of all examine the engine block if it is not wasted you will be able to save some Rupees and Cents.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

My opinion

Best thing sell the car now and get a newer lower millage Nissan or Mitsubishi or Korean car which doesn't need repairs for a similar price.

And as the price for 110s r very high at this time they might decrease a lot due to the cars becoming older by the days u get the permit(evaen if u'r car is good after the repair and the other 110s get problems it will decrease the price of the whole model).

And u should also consider that the person who wrecked the engine so badly shouldn't have used the car in a good manner so the other things in the car could also be hacked

If you want to keep the car do a full overhaul because it's a gamble droping an engine in because it could be either good as brand new or worse than u'rs

for 2C engine repair cost will be 140,000/- i did recently. japan used 2C engine 155,000 - 175,000 and Japan used 3C engine 185,000 - 225,000/- replacement of engine have a risk. if you can find low mileage 2C or 3C engine then u r lucky. can find 2C and 3C turbo versions as well....

ok guys... a BIG BIG THANK 4 all the replies.. well with all ur support decided not to go for engine replacement, but will open the engine being ready for whatever shit inside, let it be just ring set or the whole thing. Met several familiar people and hopefully will put the car for that within next 2 weeks.

But still i have a little doubt. My main concern was fuel efficiency and that's why I got this one. So that is the sole reason for me to go for engine repair. I don't care about engine sound, smoke, vibration, acceleration of any other things at this stage. So just wanna ask, will the overall cure the fuel issue( 8-9km/l long run ) ??? . I feel like this is also like gambling. If this is solved , then I will be happy man and may be able to forget the repair cost. But if that persists .. :( .. tell me guys.. what's ur opinion there ??

ok guys... a BIG BIG THANK 4 all the replies.. well with all ur support decided not to go for engine replacement, but will open the engine being ready for whatever shit inside, let it be just ring set or the whole thing. Met several familiar people and hopefully will put the car for that within next 2 weeks.

But still i have a little doubt. My main concern was fuel efficiency and that's why I got this one. So that is the sole reason for me to go for engine repair. I don't care about engine sound, smoke, vibration, acceleration of any other things at this stage. So just wanna ask, will the overall cure the fuel issue( 8-9km/l long run ) ??? . I feel like this is also like gambling. If this is solved , then I will be happy man and may be able to forget the repair cost. But if that persists .. :( .. tell me guys.. what's ur opinion there ??

Mate, if you do a complete overhaul with genuine parts and skilled labour, then you get an engine which is like brand new. So you should be able to get the normal fuel efficiency on this model.

Also once the overhaul is done, you have to 'break the engine in' slowly, i'm sure your mechanic will give you the details.

best of luck.

Edited by LS110
  • Like 1

some times fuel economy is effected by the diameter of the tiers

not that it reduces the econ but it reduces the reading

110s came with 13"s but if something like 15"r put to it it will go about 10kms when the meter says 8kms so the measurement can be wrong.

If there r heavy alloys in the car it can increase rolling resistance and other facts also effect econ

But definetely the econ will increase if the rebuild is done correctly

hasmax, how about starting your engine. Does it take a lot of effort?

I was once faced with this situation... so had to make a decision about whether to do an overhaul or fix a new engine..

went for a new engine.. and so far the new engine hasn't given me any trouble.

suggest you go for a new engine.. it's other components will hopefully be newer and last longer.. for example.. alternator, power steering pump, compressor and optionally gear box too..

However from advice received by me if you do an overhaul properly with genuine parts you could get a engine like new, (but not other parts).. and then there were some who said however you repair your eninge it will not be of the original state.. but that's second hand opinions.. so find someone who had done a successfull overhaul and then make a decision...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...