• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Rpm

JayZ

Question

When pushing the accelator while the vehicle is on "Park" position, should the engine RPM go all the way to max?

... Or is there a limiter?

My car has up to 8k RPM but when raving it it stops around 4 - 5k.

If i push the accelator more the car slightly vibrates but RPM does not go over 5K mark. Is this behaviour normal ?

14 answers to this question

Generally the needle doesnt go the full length of the tacho. And dont try to either, ur gonna ruin your poor car. I'll leave it upto a honda person to elaborate on the exact numbers.

On a sidenote; You seem to experimenting a lot on that car of yours.

thanks bro :)

lol ... not experimenting. I just happen to observe this few times when i was checking on the earlier starting issue :)

When pushing the accelator while the vehicle is on "Park" position, should the engine RPM go all the way to max?

... Or is there a limiter?

My car has up to 8k RPM but when raving it it stops around 4 - 5k.

If i push the accelator more the car slightly vibrates but RPM does not go over 5K mark. Is this behaviour normal ?

It should go to the end...

But never rev this much after just starting ur car. It's bad. Do it after engine has run & hot.

btw. Did u try in "N" ?

Okay first off dont rev in "park", put it to "N" and pull the handbrake and then rev.

Secondly the actual rev limit and the tacho limit are two very different things, for an instance some cars have 240kmph in the speedometer but it doesn't mean that it can go to 240 on a stock engine.

Also even though your car has up to 8k you might notice that there is a red line along the gauge at around 6k-8k, this is the max rpm range and where the rev limiter will kick in so dont try to push it beyond the red part of the gauge.

33os6cl.jpg

Thirdly dont rev hard on a cold engine, let it heat up a bit before revving.

Edited by The Stig

Don`t know what your car is, but mine hits the rev limiter at around 4000 rpm when the car is in neutral. When in gear it hits the limiter at around 6800 rpm. So if you wan`t, try put it in gear position 1 or 2 and rev the nuts out of it (while moving forward of course).!!

Okay first off dont rev in "park", put it to "N" and pull the handbrake and then rev.

Secondly the actual rev limit and the tacho limit are two very different things, for an instance some cars have 240kmph in the speedometer but it doesn't mean that it can go to 240 on a stock engine.

Also even though your car has up to 8k you might notice that there is a red line along the gauge at around 6k-8k, this is the max rpm range and where the rev limiter will kick in so dont try to push it beyond the red part of the gauge.

33os6cl.jpg

Thirdly dont rev hard on a cold engine, let it heat up a bit before revving.

The Stig has spoken!!!! :P

Actually, I think each car differs, I.E, Swift sport on Neutral has a cut off at just under 6000 Rpm, but on gear it cuts off at just past 7000Rpm.. (Talking about the manual one here though) and the redline starts at about 6800 in the swifty sports

The Stig has spoken!!!! :P

Actually, I think each car differs, I.E, Swift sport on Neutral has a cut off at just under 6000 Rpm, but on gear it cuts off at just past 7000Rpm.. (Talking about the manual one here though) and the redline starts at about 6800 in the swifty sports

Yes machan each car has different red lines. For an instance a honda civic ek3 vtech's red line starts at 7200rpm but an rx8's redline starts at 9000rpm. My point is just because the car has 9000 or 8000rmp in the tacho doesn't mean that the engine can rev that high.

Edited by The Stig

Yes machan each car has different red lines. For an instance a honda civic ek3 vtech's red line starts at 7200rpm but an rx8's redline starts at 9000rpm. My point is just because the car has 9000 or 8000rmp in the tacho doesn't mean that the engine can rev that high.

agreed! I was talking bout cut off's before redline :) btw OT, do Carb engines have cut off's? or can you rev em till they blow? or does it depend on the jets?

Actually some cars do rev that high when no cut off is installed, but ideally while the car is NOT stationery but not advisable. and some cars do reach their indicated speed limit or thereabouts, before the driver chickens out and runs out of road and nerve, whichever comes first... ask me how... :)

a87a25584c4116221405b27c0755771e.jpg

Edited by VVTi

agreed! I was talking bout cut off's before redline :) btw OT, do Carb engines have cut off's? or can you rev em till they blow? or does it depend on the jets?

Well the cut off is done by a part called a rev limiter, it usually stops the flow of current to the spark plugs or stops the flow of fuel when the set rev limit is reached.

AFAIK (very low knowledge on carbs :D ) rev limiters have nothing to do with EFI or carbs, but most old cars wont have a rev limiter as they were not installed back then on mainstream models. Thats not to say that you cant instal a rev limiter in a carb engine, I have seen some DIY projects like that.

Well the cut off is done by a part called a rev limiter, it usually stops the flow of current to the spark plugs or stops the flow of fuel when the set rev limit is reached.

AFAIK (very low knowledge on carbs :D ) rev limiters have nothing to do with EFI or carbs, but most old cars wont have a rev limiter as they were not installed back then on mainstream models. Thats not to say that you cant instal a rev limiter in a carb engine, I have seen some DIY projects like that.

'The Stig',

Correct reply. Most industrial Diesel engine had this fuel cut off from early days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Actually some cars do rev that high when no cut off is installed, but ideally while the car is NOT stationery but not advisable. and some cars do reach their indicated speed limit or thereabouts, before the driver chickens out and runs out of road and nerve, whichever comes first... ask me how... :)

Well, all I can see is your`s idling a bit above 500 rpm. :D You mean to say that V6 chicken you out before hitting the limiter? C`mon man.!! (what`s the cut off limit on the V6 anyway?) All the 3.0+ V6`s i`ve driven (mainly jap mainstream motors) were not very eager to rev. Gotta love Honda motors for that, kinda bored with a revvy motor now though, me craving for Torque.!

Edited by MrCat