• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shop For Tool Kits

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello Friends,

I was looking for a toolkit at panchikawaththa last week and I got stuck with many of those available at the market. I wanted to buy a good toolkit which can be used for general purpose (which I use it for a 4DR5 J44 Jeep) but ended up visiting few shops without buying anything. I went to ACP**ls and they had separate tools but not as single kits. Its always good to spend little extra (not too much :)) and get something better that is durable and can be used some time long. So I hope any of you have bought a general purpose good quality toolkit from somewhere around panchikawattha. Please post good shops and the brands if there are any. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Nishan

A 'kit' is nice to have cos it looks neat, but I personally think a toolkit should be personalized to what kinda work you do.

For example our J32 has both mm and inch nuts (apparently due these jeeps being assembled in SL at the time). Additionally at times you need 2 spanners/wrenches when you got a nut AND a bolt that need to be gripped. Or even an odd shaped pair of pliers to pull out a clip from a awkward corner under the hood.

So best is to get one of these toolboxes and get a good customized kit. And over the years you might even end up with a cupboard food of tools. I'm sure a bunch of you buys here can relate to that :)

Hows the prices?

Good things no cheap, cheap things no good... :)

I bought assorted box pcs, all Crossman, about Rs. 300 each, a Crossman ratchet as mine broke was about Rs.3000. 13-15 wrench, Sellery, Rs.475. Others I cant remember. I buy a few tools every salary. Next in line is a torque wrench. Will set me back about 10K.

A 'kit' is nice to have cos it looks neat, but I personally think a toolkit should be personalized to what kinda work you do.

For example our J32 has both mm and inch nuts (apparently due these jeeps being assembled in SL at the time). Additionally at times you need 2 spanners/wrenches when you got a nut AND a bolt that need to be gripped. Or even an odd shaped pair of pliers to pull out a clip from a awkward corner under the hood.

So best is to get one of these toolboxes and get a good customized kit. And over the years you might even end up with a cupboard food of tools. I'm sure a bunch of you buys here can relate to that :)

1+

you'd never a get a proper kit. i'd say it's best to buy separate sets. and imho...collecting tools is almost like a lifetime addiction :)

you'd never have all the stuff you need.

and i wouldn't waste money on cheapo tools. they will only ruin what you're working on.

• Like 1

I bought assorted box pcs, all Crossman, about Rs. 300 each, a Crossman ratchet as mine broke was about Rs.3000. 13-15 wrench, Sellery, Rs.475. Others I cant remember. I buy a few tools every salary. Next in line is a torque wrench. Will set me back about 10K.

Mate if you want to buy a torque wrench check Tool mart .(Near AC Paul towards Armor st side) or General Traders ( Towards the Panchik Junc) .

MINIACE

Hello Friends,

I was looking for a toolkit at panchikawaththa last week and I got stuck with many of those available at the market. I wanted to buy a good toolkit which can be used for general purpose (which I use it for a 4DR5 J44 Jeep) but ended up visiting few shops without buying anything. I went to ACP**ls and they had separate tools but not as single kits. Its always good to spend little extra (not too much :)) and get something better that is durable and can be used some time long. So I hope any of you have bought a general purpose good quality toolkit from somewhere around panchikawattha. Please post good shops and the brands if there are any. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Nishan

'Nishan.dj',

Please explain you want to do DIY projects. Above posts by members have informed you all good dealers of tools

You should buy what is necessary for your Vehicle, most common are 10 mm to 14mm spanners & box spanners.

DIY If it so you will have to buy few more tools like screw drivers, hammer, pliers, Etc.

Forget about tool kits they are not durable, all cheap tool kits are Chinese.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Nishan.dj',

Please explain you want to do DIY projects. Above posts by members have informed you all good dealers of tools

You should buy what is necessary for your Vehicle, most common are 10 mm to 14mm spanners & box spanners.

DIY If it so you will have to buy few more tools like screw drivers, hammer, pliers, Etc.

Forget about tool kits they are not durable, all cheap tool kits are Chinese.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi. Yes I am looking for DIY projects. Not the things like engine repairs but smaller ones which is interesting to DIY.

Thanks Sylvi. Yes I am looking for DIY projects. Not the things like engine repairs but smaller ones which is interesting to DIY.

'Nishan.dj',

OK now it is clear what you want.

(1)Ring spanners 8MM to 14mm total six.

(2)Box spanners 8MM to 14mm Total six with the handle.

(3)Double end Spanners open type 8MM to 14MM

(4)normal pliers 2 numbers 8 inches and 10 or 12 inches.

(5)Pointer pliers 1 number 8 inch.

(6)Hammers two numbers hammer small and big.

(7)Three screw drivers small medium and large.

(8)Two Phillips+head ("crosshead")screw drivers small and long.

(9)Two round files 8 inches and 14 inches

(10)Two flat files 6 inches and 10 inches.

(11)Electric Dill machine with the hammer.

(12)High speed drill bits (PRESTO)6mm TO 14mm

Above will be good enough to start your projects.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

while we are on this topic. Does anyone know where to by a decent rolling tool box for less than 50k? need one with atleast six drawers with the bottom one bieng big enough to dump a bunch of air tools in. Looked at one in panchi and it was around 65k which seems pretty steep.

'Nishan.dj',

(2)Box spanners 8MM to 14mm Total six.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Wow... Good post Sylv. This will help all of us.. Should get a printout of your list..:angry-smiley-048:

while we are on this topic. Does anyone know where to by a decent rolling tool box for less than 50k? need one with atleast six drawers with the bottom one bieng big enough to dump a bunch of air tools in. Looked at one in panchi and it was around 65k which seems pretty steep.

maybe this is a stupid idea but wont it be cheaper for you to get one made?

of course the finish might not be the best but at least you can get it done the exact way you want...possibly even hardier

'Nishan.dj',

(2)Box spanners 8MM to 14mm Total six with the handle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i doubt 14mm socket or spanners is enough.

for instance the other day i found my front bumper was a lil loose thanks to the holding nut being a tad loose. The socket needed to sort that out was an 18mm. Some of the lights and stuff on my truck at least have 17mm heads

Also some places you can only use a socket drive with a ratchet due to lack of space for a spanner to go in.

Another thing i can't live without is good ol WD40 :D

for instance the other day i found my front bumper was a lil loose thanks to the holding nut being a tad loose. The socket needed to sort that out was an 18mm. Some of the lights and stuff on my truck at least have 17mm heads

Also some places you can only use a socket drive with a ratchet due to lack of space for a spanner to go in.

yep, there are some nuts in the J32/44's ladder chassis and under the wheel arches which would require a socket unless u dont mind unscrewing a bolt a mere 10-15 degrees per turn. And I agree a 17-19mm isnt an uncommon size to find on a SUV/pickup chassis or even something common like a fanbelt pulley.

Like I said before, you cant give a list of tools and expect it to cover all your needs.

• Like 1

'Ripper',

When I read your post I find that there are lot of things I have omitted. As he wanted simple DIY projects. I suggested few tools, which are basically necessary for a amateur. WD40 is too very necessary to remove nuts and bolts.

As Watchmen post informs bigger tools I Agree to his post.

If the topic starter wants he can go for bigger size tools.

I have omitted the Box spanner arm. There are lot of more tools he can buy later, the starter kit I have posted.

If all senior members who has knowledge in automobiles, help new young motorists who come to A/L for questions, answer them in a friendly manner, will be appreciated by all A/L members.

Like the booster gauge I answered with out having clear Idea, on new turbo charged engines, the member who replied to said post gave a very polite reply post and educated me too.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Thanks!

Hey guys so since we are on the topic what do you think of these 1 2 ?

I wont be doing much heavy duty stuff anyways and most probably will only change a couple of bolts and remove the spark plugs once in a while. Most of these tools i do have at home but its nice to have them all in a nice case instead of carrying them on bag like a plumber.

Also any idea how much it will cost me to get them shipped to a friend in US and get it shipped here ?

I wont be doing much heavy duty stuff anyways and most probably will only change a couple of bolts and remove the spark plugs once in a while. Most of these tools i do have at home but its nice to have them all in a nice case instead of carrying them on bag like a plumber.

Also any idea how much it will cost me to get them shipped to a friend in US and get it shipped here ?

You might be better off buying some chinese crap from here. The head of the ratchet in those sets would break after a month or so. Sockets seem to strip pretty easily. Actually you can find the same set (in a different name) for less than 20 bucks at walmart.

if u planing to buy from ebay, shop for "craftsman" brand, they have some good stuff

Edited by GihanFX

if u planing to buy from ebay, shop for "craftsman" brand, they have some good stuff

yep i saw that band but was a bit costly compared to this, actually these were more like dirt cheap.

You might be better off buying some chinese crap from here. The head of the ratchet in those sets would break after a month or so. Sockets seem to strip pretty easily. Actually you can find the same set (in a different name) for less than 20 bucks at walmart.

Everything cheap has a hole in it, oh well i guess you are right.

And the other issue is since these stuff weigh a lot the shipping charges are way high.

Any idea if our shops have anything above a 20-30 piece kit, i could buy them separately but that just makes things messy.

Edited by The Stig