• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Head Light - Bulb

sira

Guys

I faced big trouble y'day and i was coming to my home town form katharagama .heavy rain i couldn’t see the road with my head lamp (low beam).

is there any high watt head light available for EK3? i have seen some of them are using HID , Projection lamps....etc

what is the best one? i do not need to blank eyes of the opposite drive’s with my low beam !!

People do this, i get blank too. i think it is not ethical

Please let me see your views

sira

best solution imho is to get a good branded pair of bulbs. I've had excellent results with PIAA's. Unfortunately i haven't found a place to buy them in SL as yet. Also make sure your light housing and reflectors are in good shape and also the wiring is done properly.

Presently running Hella branded bulbs bought from Motorkade and they work really well for me.

Also...i ran 90/100 bulbs on my car with the stock housing...had it wired via seperate relays etc. I used it like that for about 3 years without any problem. If you're willing to take the chance, upgrading to a high wattage bulbs is another option.

Guys

I faced big trouble y'day and i was coming to my home town form katharagama .heavy rain i couldn't see the road with my head lamp (low beam).

is there any high watt head light available for EK3? i have seen some of them are using HID , Projection lamps....etc

what is the best one? i do not need to blank eyes of the opposite drive's with my low beam !!

People do this, i get blank too. i think it is not ethical

Please let me see your views

sira

Yes. Had the same problem yesterday, coming back to colombo from kandy. Had to drive almost 3 hours in heavy rain with little visibility. It is a headache.

i've seen a bolt on projector kit which fits EK3's at the car audio store near hill street. that with a set of HID's might solve your problem. i'm not an expert in lighting, tho, but the projector lens will help focus light better... the kit is 30k with HID's. a bit of a steep solution...

no i use original bulbs

i suppose what you're saying is that the bulbs are 50/60w range ones...

what i was trying to say that although the wattage is the same...certain brands of bulbs tend to put out more light than others.

Once when i was driving back from sigiriya races...one of my bulbs burnt out. Had to get a replacement from that area itself and spares shops people didn't know what an H4 bulbs was let alone stock fancy brands. So i had to buy one of those knock off chinese brands.

I had a working Narva H4 90/100 light on one light and the other was this chinese thing... The chinese bulb had very very poor light output compared to the Narvas.

Check the brand of bulbs you're running now and see what it is... If it is one of those crappy bulbs....try a better brand and see first.

I can safely say, in my experience...PIAA bulbs, Hellas are really good.

If those are not there..a genuine set of Narva bulbs too will do the trick.

What ripper said is right, the quality differs from brand to brand even thought they are the same wattage. Its not recommended to use bulbs with more wattage than your stock lights cause the heat might actually damage the reflectors. Mine came with some cheepo blue color chinese bulbs, visibility is very poor in rain. I ordered myself a Philips 4300K xenon conversion kit, should arrive in a week or so.

What ripper said is right, the quality differs from brand to brand even thought they are the same wattage. Its not recommended to use bulbs with more wattage than your stock lights cause the heat might actually damage the reflectors. Mine came with some cheepo blue color chinese bulbs, visibility is very poor in rain. I ordered myself a Philips 4300K xenon conversion kit, should arrive in a week or so.

hey stiggy how much it cost to bring down that hid kit?.if you can please let me know how much you pay as tax after it arrive. :)

The Stig,

Like to know the details make of your bulbs what you are importing, cost did you send a TT or by Credit card, because I want 3 sets of bulb's, 2 sets of bulbs for my Vehicles and one set for my son-in-laws vehicle. What is the cost. and from where.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Guys, i have found some thing new,

Koito got bulb called - white beam -http://www.intakeone.com/Light_bulbs/KoitoWhiteBeam.htm

i have checked with semini motors and it cost 1,250 each. any idea of this bulbs?

sira

through e bay?

yep, bid for it.

hey stiggy how much it cost to bring down that hid kit?.if you can please let me know how much you pay as tax after it arrive. :)

The kit was cheaper than normal cause i bid for it, it cost me 143$ for the kit and 40$ for shipping. Dont know about the tax yet, ill pm you once i get it.

The Stig,

Like to know the details make of your bulbs what you are importing, cost did you send a TT or by Credit card, because I want 3 sets of bulb's, 2 sets of bulbs for my Vehicles and one set for my son-in-laws vehicle. What is the cost. and from where.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The kit comes with two 4300K 50W Philips bulbs and two ballasts.

TT is not an accepted method of payment on ebay, they only accept credit cards and paypal. Some even dont accept credit cards and only accept paypal so i suggest you create a paypal account and link it to your credit card for purchases on ebay.

It cost me 143$ ( the normal price is around 170$ but i bid for it and got it cheaper) and i paid 40$ for usps normal mail, most sellers also offer express mail by which you can get the item within a couple of days but it costs 50-60$ for a package of this size.

Also on a side note i dont think you are legally allowed to bring down a quantity of more than 1 of the same item, dont know the exact amount but bringing the same item in commercial quantities requires a different process.To avoid any hassles i suggest that you purchase the 3 items separately.

yep, bid for it.

The kit was cheaper than normal cause i bid for it, it cost me 143$ for the kit and 40$ for shipping. Dont know about the tax yet, ill pm you once i get it.

The kit comes with two 4300K 50W Philips bulbs and two ballasts.

TT is not an accepted method of payment on ebay, they only accept credit cards and paypal. Some even dont accept credit cards and only accept paypal so i suggest you create a paypal account and link it to your credit card for purchases on ebay.

It cost me 143$ ( the normal price is around 170$ but i bid for it and got it cheaper) and i paid 40$ for usps normal mail, most sellers also offer express mail by which you can get the item within a couple of days but it costs 50-60$ for a package of this size.

Also on a side note i dont think you are legally allowed to bring down a quantity of more than 1 of the same item, dont know the exact amount but bringing the same item in commercial quantities requires a different process.To avoid any hassles i suggest that you purchase the 3 items separately.

thnx for the info Stig...the bulbs are H4 nah?

• 3 weeks later...

guess where to buy PIAA halogen bulbs

i tried in kandy and had no luck

so went to colombo today.. had no luck in panchikawatta either.

but i did came across an original nissan whitebeam light.. the guy asked 12K for that.. i donno who would buy that instead of buying an HID set.

guess where to buy PIAA halogen bulbs

i tried in kandy and had no luck

hey Schiffer if you find a place to buy piaa original bulbs or hella original bulbs please let me know. :)

• 1 year later...

Guys

After using the Koito White beam for a year’s time. i noticed it is not very good in bad weather. Also if the incoming vehicle light is bright (not like HID) the visibility is poor. Replaced back to original bulbs – 55/65 w osram and it is better after re-wire with direct line via a 2 relay units.

The Beam now is bit a yellow

If i replace the headlight wattage with 85/100 w (not sure) what could go wrong. Will the Reflector melted or discolour

Please advice

Sira

Edited by sira

Guys

After using the Koito White beam for a year’s time. i noticed it is not very good in bad weather. Also if the incoming vehicle light is bright (not like HID) the visibility is poor. Replaced back to original bulbs – 55/65 w osram and it is better after re-wire with direct line via a 2 relay units.

The Beam now is bit a yellow

If i replace the headlight wattage with 85/100 w (not sure) what could go wrong. Will the Reflector melted or discolour

Please advice

Sira

'sira',

I have used both 55/65 and 85/100. on iron sheet and glass sealed reflectors nothing happened to them for the bulb heat.

But plastic reflectors never used 85/100.

I think heat generated from the bulb can cause to effect plastic reflectors.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

thanks Sylve

My Honda EK3 got Plastic galss for headlamp and i belive the reflectors also plastic. so i'll not install 80w bulbs. I have seen lots of types of Bright Head light and which is called, HID, Projection bulb....etc. so are they relaible? and will this suit for plastic reflector lamp case..etc

sira