• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene Prices Go Up

MAS

Fisherman will be fine :)

So will the bus mudalali, kada mudalali, vegetable mudalali, supermarket mudalali, construction mudalali, doctor mudalali and nurse mudalaliess and the billions of billions of slackers in the state sector.

They will merely transfer the extra-expenses to the ultimate bullock...the poor private sector worker. He will foot the bill for everything

Few years before Diesel price increased in 4 or 5 rupees. Then one of the Kada mudalali also incresed his fish bun price also in 2 rupees... It seems he need 1 liter of diesel for make 2 fish buns.... :sport-smiley-004:

I know for a fact that many fisherfolk are living on the edge of poverty! They can't afford even basic tackle and still fish with old school methods.

The Kero increase is really unfair not only on them but also on the millions of poor people who still use kerosene lamps to light up their homes.

Shockingly, usage of kero lamps is quite common and you dont have to go far out of colombo find millions of folks still using them.

I can understand if the SLG has cut down all the useless waste and this had to be last resort. But clearly that's not the case.

This situ could have been avoided if our rulers had the vison to cut down on waste, corruption and simple mis management of things.

Agreed. For some reason people are under the impression that if a kilo of fish is sold at the market at 300, then it's pure profit. A lot of small time fishermen actually have to take out loans and pawn jewellery just so they could by nets and pay for fuel. When the catch is not enough they are pretty screwed.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 1

oh yeah and the idea of them bieng able to transfer the cost directly to the consumer is b.s. When the price increases the demand will drop. To cut waste they will eventually have to drop the prices, hitting them right back in the arse.

Someone working a desk job would never understand the system and would say "oh that's fine, they can just increase the pric

This isn't like deadliest catch or swords where they make hundred of thousands to aover a million dollars. These are people looking to put some food on their families plates.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 2

Agreed. For some reason people are under the impression that is a kilo of fish is sold at the market at 300, then it's pure profit. A lot of small time fishermen actually have to take out loans and pawn jewellery just so they could by nets and pay for fuel. When the catch is not enough they are pretty screwed.

1000% have to agree with this

Energy crisis ? tell me the last day you have full days power cut or had a situation where there was no fuel or gas . I don't think its right of you to simply say the system is messed up, running a country and balancing the economy is not that easy. I am no supporter of the monarchy , but they are trying to do something. Lot of us just like to sit back and criticize everything but most of us Sri Lankans idle ( Including myself who is typing on A/L on company time), you see guys in offices/factories everywhere the guys do only half of their full potential but expect to be paid enough as if this was the US. I have seen exact same factories in Malaysia where the productivity is almost double to what our guys do.

It was inevitable the fuel was going up due to the world oil prices , also due to the rupee depreciation. As long as the GOSL continues to subsidize Diesel, you are not letting the market forces to act correctly. Plus to subsidize diesel the GOSL has to tax someone else, a lot of us now cannot even remember there was a significant reduction in PAYE tax,

thumbs up for the comment bro :)

• Like 1

The whole excuse of world oil prices going up, is pure BS to say the least. Since June last year, it has hovered around the $99 mark, with a dip around October last year.

There's another angle to this whole story. Apart from the fact that the present government's complicated machine of wastage, they are also as talented as a bunch of pre-school kids when it comes to economic management and International diplomacy.

Everyone knows about the tension between Iran and the West. That has increased in the past 5 or 6 years. Our so-called policy makers should have realized the signs of this and moved to look for other sources to obtain petroleum at that time itself. Instead of doing that, our so-called policy makers took it as an opportunity to get some cheap oil and as a result Sri Lanka ended up being almost totally dependent on Iran for the oil supply.

Although I am not a supporter of any politician, RW pointed out this problem years ago and was emphasizing that the government is taking a completely wrong track. However, the government's response was to build stronger ties with Iran, instead of concentrating on International diplomacy to strategically benefit the country.

Now that the US has an embargo on trade for any country that trades with Iran, our idiots have no clue on how to manage the oil supply. Be surprised if the fuel prices don't go up again and again (or contaminated fuel comes back to the country).

And some day, our over dependency on China is going to backfire. That will be the real crisis.

• Like 5

3 kmpl for a Prodo ? I think you have got it wrong, I seriously doubt a Prado does so little. A Sahara, maybe if it on bumper to bumber traffic...

I've seen em get 3-4 kmpl. This is the new 4 litre ones. Not bumper to bumper, normal city driving. Outstation journeys I've seen em get 5 - 6

I've seen em get 3-4 kmpl. This is the new 4 litre ones. Not bumper to bumper, normal city driving. Outstation journeys I've seen em get 5 - 6

Yep the 4.0l prado is pretty bad on fuel. I've heard of people getting 3-3.5 on city and outstation. But the biggest gas guzzler I've come across is the H2. A friend of mine told me he averaged only 2km/l on his way to Nuwara Eliya

Members,

Do not worry we have already Dig the fist gas well in Mannar off sea. So very soon gas will be available free of charge to every household for cooking and lighting in Srilanka as for Chintana. more jobs will be created we will eliminate poverty from our paradise Island.

So that we need not depend on Electricity any more, more gas station mudalalis will be created in villages for distribution of gas to villages.

like during late MRS. S.D.B+++++++++++a's time in early 1970 we got oil ( un )successfully in mannar inland well which, Russians were engaged in oil drilling. I was engaged in Electrical repairs to their machines. later they found it was not commercially explorable and closed the project.

The last 1977 may day rally was one of the longest by then governing party, which took to pass one point 6 hours or more, and one slogan was not to have elections till we get oil successfully.

Fortunately Late JRJ came to power in 1977 and today we are enjoying TV using most modern Automobiles in the world and going to have drag racing this week end.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi,

Well said mate! :D Again you will here about oil exploration only during the next election season. So sad to see most of the people falling for these bull s*%t statemenmts.

Well it was inevitable but the hike like the fuel is crazy -

Electricity fuel adjustment charges were increased a short while ago by the Public Utilities Commission,its Chairman Jayatissa De Costa announced at a media briefing in Colombo. Accordingly the first 30 units will be raised by 25 percent,from 31-60 units by 35 percent and over 60 units by 40 per cent,he explained. The adjustments are made in line with the recent fuel price hikes,he added.

http://www.nation.lk/edition/latest-top-stories/item/2719-electricity-rates-up.html