• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engines With Dpd Or Dpf - Which Engine Oil To Use ?

Fixzit

Question

I recently bought a 2007 Nissan Navara with YD-25TDDi 2.5L Turbo Engine which also has a DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter). When I did my 1st service I used Delo Gold engine oil in it with the following standards "API CH4/SL, CG-4, CF-4,CF,CD. Today when i was reading an article I saw that I must use an engine oil with CJ-4 Standard or else I will have problems with my DPF later on. I'm using Super Diesel on mine because in my User Manual, Nissan highly recommend a Diesel with low Sulphur and 50+ Cetane level. As I found out Normal Diesel is 46 Cetane and 0.5 Slphur where Super is 53 Cetane and 0.03 in Sulphur.

Apparently The new API CJ-4 oils are made for high-performance diesel engines designed to meet 2007 on-highway exhaust emission standards. API CJ-4 oils exceed previous performance requirements and are specifically designed to protect emission control systems, help comply with emission standards, reduce engine wear, and control piston deposits and oil consumption.

Does anyone knows a Diesel engine oil which meets the CJ-4 Standard in Sri Lanka?

Edited by Fixzit

As far as i know DPF affects your vehicles power a bit and not the fuel -_-

If you know how the DPF works you wouldn't say so. How do you think the DPF re-generates itself? By burning extra fuel to increase the temp inside the DPF.

Hi,

I am expecting an expert advice on the following matter. According to the user manual of my vehicle, the recommended oil type is 5W30 approved by MB sheet 229.51. However, one of the authorized service agent in kandy suggests Mobil Delvec which is a MB228.5 approved oil.

Can this trouble the euro V engine of my vehicle.

regards

ud

If you have a DPF then Delvac would not be ideal, then you need a CJ-4 standard low ash oil where Delvac is only Cl-4. It's better to stick to the grade on user manual, only go for a higher grade if your engine's burning oil due to the oil which has been used is too thin. Delvac is 15W40.

Edited by Fixzit

If you have a DPF then Delvac would not be ideal, then you need a CJ-4 standard low ash oil where Delvac is only Cl-4. It's better to stick to the grade on user manual, only go for a higher grade if your engine's burning oil due to the oil which has been used is too thin. Delvac is 15W40.

Thanks Fixzit,

My vehicle got a DPF. It is really strange that how could the agent recommend an unsuitable engine oil. I'll contact the authorized service agent in Kandy again and verify the type of Mobil they are recommending. Probably, the one they are recommending has CJ-4 compatible Mobil (e.g .Mobil 1 ESP Formula M )

Edited by udayap

Most dealers have no idea how dpf works. They have no idea what difference it makes when you use a wrong engine oil in a dpf model. There are two main advantages using CJ4 standard. It can tolerate oil contamination better. If your car goes to limp mode due to a dpf blockage then there is a chance some diesel will end up mixing with engine oil. This could be from a very small amount to few liters. Also All the additives in CJ 4 gets burned at dpf regen temps where other types contains additive which does not so they block the dpf. I couldn't find any CJ4 oil in SL few months back, I don't bother now because I took my dpf off..

Most dealers have no idea how dpf works. They have no idea what difference it makes when you use a wrong engine oil in a dpf model. There are two main advantages using CJ4 standard. It can tolerate oil contamination better. If your car goes to limp mode due to a dpf blockage then there is a chance some diesel will end up mixing with engine oil. This could be from a very small amount to few liters. Also All the additives in CJ 4 gets burned at dpf regen temps where other types contains additive which does not so they block the dpf. I couldn't find any CJ4 oil in SL few months back, I don't bother now because I took my dpf off..

Out of my curiosity, MB 229.51 and CJ 4 refer to same set of standards.

Glad to know that you got that Dpf removed. it would be helpful if you could share your experiences on vehicle performance, fuel consumption, emission test results after the removal of the DPF.

Can feel a slight increase in power when I hit the peddle to the floor. . Had no trouble what so ever passing the emission test.. and fuel economy has gone up by 1 to 2kms per Lt.

Thanks, So i decided to get the DPF of my vehicle cleared through the Agents , they do it for the vehicles they sold those came with a DPF.

interesting article: http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2013/01epa.php

Edited by udayap

Glad to hear. . How much they charge for it by the way?

Fixit would you mind shortening your interests section please?. As you may have noticed its taking up a significant amount of screen space in your posts and making the thread longer making it harder to navigate.

Fixit would you mind shortening your interests section please?. As you may have noticed its taking up a significant amount of screen space in your posts and making the thread longer making it harder to navigate.

Sorry I didn't notice that cz I was using the mobile version of this forum most of the time. I hope its better now.

Glad to hear. . How much they charge for it by the way?

Fixzit,

Actually what they are doing is conversion of euro5 to euro3. I got it done with last service. After the conversion I inspected the vehicle and found that they have removed all the sensors from the DPF (temperature and pressure) and have done ECU update (still the DPF is there). When I inquired about it, they also confirmed that they did so. Now, since there are no sensors attached to the PDF, the regeneration will not happen and also the ECU will not identify the level of sooth collection in side the DPF. I am wondering, will this lead to unnecessary problem (engine failiar due to DPF blockage)

Actually, what has the AGENT done in this euro5-euro3 conversion.?. Its a puzzle to me!!!!

Edited by udayap

If they haven't taken off the dpf..I hope they have taken out the the filter inside.. otherwise without a regen cycle it will get blocked and cause you more problems than before. Its better if you can find out what exactly they have done. As for mine I took the whole dpf off and straight-piped it..sensors are still there but the pipe has been designed in a way that all 4 sensors get the right signal so that the ecu doesn't bother running a regen cycle. .

If they haven't taken off the dpf..I hope they have taken out the the filter inside.. otherwise without a regen cycle it will get blocked and cause you more problems than before. Its better if you can find out what exactly they have done. As for mine I took the whole dpf off and straight-piped it..sensors are still there but the pipe has been designed in a way that all 4 sensors get the right signal so that the ecu doesn't bother running a regen cycle. .

seems they haven't removed the DPF but only the sensors. I am in contact with them to sort this out.

Hello to all

I'v recently purchased 2008 nissan pathfinder 2.5 with dpf.

On it 170000 km whith all the history so its real km.

The car is "drinking" fuel about 5.5km per 1 liter in combined driving and most of the time the a.c is off.

I'v canceled the egr and want also to cancell the dpf.

Is some one of you had this kind of problem?

Also i'd like to ask aboyt the oil type:

I want to change oil type to castrol vecton 5w-30 fuel saver e6/e9, for euro 5 engines. Api cj-4, acea e6/e7/e9, meets daf px euro 5 requirements.

Its full sintetik oil so of what i'v reed in here i gess you have experience whith.

Thank you vary much for any reply.

all the best

Daniel

Screenshot_20171003-125720.png

Screenshot_20171003-125724.png

Hey vag2

I'v cancelled egr just for test its effect on fuel concumption for only 1 tank.

I'v allredy got it back to normal use.

Now i want to do the same with the dpf to check its effect on fuel concumption. 

I will never do it permannent just want to know if the dpf's ash is to high and make blockinf effect to the engine befor spend approximate 4000$ on new one after those thif mechanic tried to sell me after "checking" it whith computer.

As i understand after reading so much about it: the ecm of this car doesent show the amount of ash bloking in the dpf.

The engine load in nutral is appropriate 20% without a.c or light so its to high and must find the reason for that.

Just to manchined back pressure  was good and injector are in very good condition.