• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Happens To The Market Of Diesel & Petrol Vehicle In Srilanka Now?

Chamitha6

Hey guys,

With the increasing diesel price by 31/= & petrol by 12/=, what do you think market of vehicle will change or remain same in future?I think this is a new area we have to think when buying & selling automobiles.....

Give your valuable comments!

I don't expect there to be any chance in the Sri Lankan market. These price fluctuations have been going on for a while the vehicle prices have continuously crept up.

well this question is normal after a fuel price hike like this isn't it ? :)

And that is EXACTLY why regulars are tired of it!!

Hey guys,

With the increasing diesel price by 31/= & petrol by 12/=, what do you think market of vehicle will change or remain same in future?I think this is a new area we have to think when buying & selling automobiles.....

You want a comment? Here's one. This ain't autofortunetellers.com Stop trying to be dumb, the future ain't yours to see.

• Like 6

Hey guys,

You know what I think , we should all buy a bicycle..... :)

But seriously last week Saturday there was this foreign guy on a mountain bike who was traveling along side me all the way from Horton place to Kotte. Had no idea where the guy was going but it just goes to prove that a cycling is as fast as driving a car to work ( given the color lights and traffic). And mind you this was Saturday evening with less traffic, If you rode a bike to work during the morning rush hour I am sure that you could save a lot of time, also its a pretty good work out AND you don't spend a cent on fuel.

Actually I now use a bike to run short errands instead of taking out the car for very short distances, its quite fun as well...

• Like 1

Ah ok... here's the explanation.

FYI we are living in Sri Lanka where the weather is hot, humid and unpredictable. If you rode a bike to work during morning rush hour, you may save time, get a workout and come to work sweaty and stinking as hell. And all that will be on a good day.

That's the reason why cycling to work never became popular in Sri Lanka. It's not because Sri Lankans are lazy or just don't like bicycles. Without understanding this, there's no point of blabbering 'hey, there's a white guy riding a bicycle so let's all buy one of those'...

Who was the last guy who tried to convince us all to buy bicycles? It was Harak as I remember...

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

But seriously last week Saturday there was this foreign guy on a mountain bike who was traveling along side me all the way from Horton place to Kotte. Had no idea where the guy was going but it just goes to prove that a cycling is as fast as driving a car to work ( given the color lights and traffic). And mind you this was Saturday evening with less traffic, If you rode a bike to work during the morning rush hour I am sure that you could save a lot of time, also its a pretty good work out AND you don't spend a cent on fuel.

Actually I now use a bike to run short errands instead of taking out the car for very short distances, its quite fun as well...

'CARBON B4',

I have a good suggestion for motorists try to import side cars for motor cycles or fabricate them in Srilanka then they will be more safer to ride.

I do not know the RMV allow the modification during my young days there were plenty of side car motor cycles..

Can any member post about the modification of side cars.

http://india.alibaba.com/country/products_india-sidecar.html

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

We already had this argument with Harak.

And I can tell you as a guy who used to bike about 2kms each way daily while in Uni, it might seem fun to do occasionally, but its not practical. Specially in the tropics where it can rain with little notice. And certainly not the office crowd.

Besides, no one wants to work while sweating like a pig. So unless there is a shower at work, its not happening. I actually would do it, coz we have a gym at work, and getting a quick morning workout is a great way to get the blood pumping before working for the day, but 20kms per day each way is a bit too much. And would take too much time too.

Not to mention its much safer to sit in a car than get run over by minister's convoys, or ministers drunk nephews.

The rest of it, Crosswind covered.

• Like 3

You know what I think? You should stop talking out of your a$$

Gotten out of the wrong side of the bed ? or too much "wind" coming up yours my friend ???

There are certain occasions when one could use a bike, like Peri has mentioned if your office has a gym/shower facility you maybe able to use it, but it will also depend on how far you are from work also how fit you are... When I say "we should all buy a bike" , and put that nice yellow face with a smile it means I am not serious....

I avoided all this aggravation and all this nonsesne by marrying someone who lives literally next door to my office.... 10 minute walk... :)

Else it was a 15Kms trip from Malabe through Kotte/Rajagairiya traffic for me.

Hardly use the cars unless i have a reason to take it out like a meeting outside of COlombo. Else its all tuks or walk to meet most of my official duties.

We already had this argument with Harak.

And I can tell you as a guy who used to bike about 2kms each way daily while in Uni, it might seem fun to do occasionally, but its not practical. Specially in the tropics where it can rain with little notice. And certainly not the office crowd.

Besides, no one wants to work while sweating like a pig. So unless there is a shower at work, its not happening. I actually would do it, coz we have a gym at work, and getting a quick morning workout is a great way to get the blood pumping before working for the day, but 20kms per day each way is a bit too much. And would take too much time too.

Not to mention its much safer to sit in a car than get run over by minister's convoys, or ministers drunk nephews.

The rest of it, Crosswind covered.

yep..i cycle 20k roughly thrice a week just for exercise.

It's not at all practical for office commuting for multitude of reasons.

As many have said...the sweat issue is there...

And there are things like how you're gonna safely carry your notebook comp and other things that you end up carrying to and from work, wet weather issues, safety issues etc

Also for many people, the commute is simply too long and you'd end up spending more time on the road. Even if you have a shower at work that's just more time spent and more hassle. Most of us get to work with our schedules setup for meeting and what not.

Cycling is not at all a viable option for many people unless of course you lve very close to work as it is in vvti's case.

It might be cooler to think we can do it but it sure aint practical

One of my students is riding what he calls "the transport of the future". It's a stand up, electric powered scoter, and what a hoot to ride it is - he's had the original 275w motor replaced with a 1000w unit and has had some really sophisticated long-range lithium battery packs fitted. The mods cost him a fortune. I've had a whizz around the yard on it and blimey it's fun! Can't say I'd want to ride it to work everyday but he does and he keeps on ramming the "no petrol costs" message home too.

One of my students is riding what he calls "the transport of the future". It's a stand up, electric powered scoter, and what a hoot to ride it is - he's had the original 275w motor replaced with a 1000w unit and has had some really sophisticated long-range lithium battery packs fitted. The mods cost him a fortune. I've had a whizz around the yard on it and blimey it's fun! Can't say I'd want to ride it to work everyday but he does and he keeps on ramming the "no petrol costs" message home too.

With the hike in the price of electricity it won't be that cheap either..