• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Macbook Pro And Imac

If you're getting a Mac, you might want to go for the Matte screen finish, as the glossy one can be a bit annoying at times.

1+

i dont know why apple went for that bloody glossy screen cos over the years the've only been making matte ones

i too go the matte scree cos it's crazy to have a notebook with glossy screens cos them reflections are darn annoying!

You know, you've got me thinking, it's the quality of the screen image that really gets me on the Mac, it's superb...

+1

I didn't notice it at first, but I remember seeing a huge difference after it was pointed out to me when editing pictures simultaneously with another chap who was on a Dell. I'm assuming its 'cos of the resolution?

Edited by Kavvz

1+

i dont know why apple went for that bloody glossy screen cos over the years the've only been making matte ones

i too go the matte scree cos it's crazy to have a notebook with glossy screens cos them reflections are darn annoying!

The linked forum states that they are apparently better in optimum conditions than a matte screen.

Still couldn't figure out why colours, hi-res images etc look better overall on those screens though; it isn't just the resolution apparently. Some forums insist that Mac's use better panels, which doesn't makes sense. What the hell are these panels that are being referenced? Oh, and apparently Mac displays are made by LG...

Edited by Kavvz

The linked forum states that they are apparently better in optimum conditions than a matte screen.

Still couldn't figure out why colours, hi-res images etc look better overall on those screens though; it isn't just the resolution apparently. Some forums insist that Mac's use better panels, which doesn't makes sense. What the hell are these panels that are being referenced? Oh, and apparently Mac displays are made by LG...

Its called IPS. And its not an exclusive tech, comes in other products too. Wiki if you wanna know more.

Its called IPS. And its not an exclusive tech, comes in other products too. Wiki if you wanna know more.

Ah, thanks.

It doesn't seem like something that's propriety at all. Wiki says it wasn't even developed by LG; and by the sound of it Samsung looks like the new market leader for this technology.

Edited by Kavvz

well from what i heard...the part numbers for both lcd's are the same! The gloss screened version has an outer glass kinda material that gives it the gloss finish and also saturates color. Not 100% sure of this but this is what i read on some mac forums when i was getting my comp.

what apples always had was better color management systems since most of the early apple community was designers! Even now loads of design people and companies use macs for better color accuracy straight out of the box. Of course a PC too can be configd with a color matching tool.

Edited by Ripper

The stupid magsafe L connector crapped out on me again and Apple is selling replacement's for $80 odd. Seriously!? What a rip off.

They need to fix the design issues with their connectors already! Or replace the connectors / power apdaptors at a more reasonable cost. I'm going to get a replacement off ebay I think (non OEM replacements can be had for $20 or so), but am a bit hesitant as a crappy / cheapo power adaptor could technically shorten my battery life. (Unfortunately there's no way to run the Macbook off the mains supply without inadvertently charging the battery as well).

Your thoughts guys? Should I swallow my indignation and just cough up the extra $60 for an orginal from the apple store or can I ebay it without much of an issue?

Edited by Kavvz

The stupid magsafe L connector crapped out on me again and Apple is selling replacement's for $80 odd. Seriously!? What a rip off.

They need to fix the design issues with their connectors already! Or replace the connectors / power apdaptors at a more reasonable cost. I'm going to get a replacement off ebay I think (non OEM replacements can be had for $20 or so), but am a bit hesitant as a crappy / cheapo power adaptor could technically shorten my battery life. (Unfortunately there's no way to run the Macbook off the mains supply without inadvertently charging the battery as well).

Your thoughts guys? Should I swallow my indignation and just cough up the extra $60 for an orginal from the apple store or can I ebay it without much of an issue?

what's the problem with the adapter machan. mine so far works like a charm. so far.

also, if at all i'd get a used factory adapter off ebay than going for them chinese ones...

what's the problem with the adapter machan. mine so far works like a charm. so far.

also, if at all i'd get a used factory adapter off ebay than going for them chinese ones...

The connection between the power cord and L connector fails, probably due to twisting or crimping. Its a common flaw and it first happened on mine about 8 months into its purchase. I got it a free replacement as it was under warranty. Now roughly a year later: Its failed again.

Getting a used OEM one off ebay is an option certainly; the only draw back is that since its used, the life span on that might be short lived too. Its worth looking into though, I seem to remember there were used ones going for about $20...

Edited by Kavvz

The connection between the power cord and L connector fails, probably due to twisting or crimping. Its a common flaw and it first happened on mine about 8 months into its purchase. I got it a free replacement as it was under warranty. Now roughly a year later: Its failed again.

Getting a used OEM one off ebay is an option certainly; the only draw back is that since its used, the life span on that might be short lived too. Its worth looking into though, I seem to remember there were used ones going for about $20...

mine passed the year mark with out a hitch. but i think the 17incher has a different power adapter.

any case i use handle it with kid gloves on and store cables without harsh bends on em..

you find certain stuff on ebay that have seen minimal use.

I've bought a wacom and even a tripod with little to no wear on em. So it's defa worth a shot

trust me on this when I say, go to FutureWorld, they're proper apple agents. I got my macbook pro from the sates, and one month later when I tried to a update to the firmware, something went terribly wrong and it just wouldn't come on. So I took it to future world and got it checked; they said my motherboard was busted. But luckily it was under international warranty (cause it was only a month old), they took it in and repaired it free of charge. But they did take like 3 weeks, but I was pleased cause in the end they did a solid job and it works proper.

I'm more of a PC user and I use my mbp only for iphone dev, but in the process I've grown hugely hugely attached to it. Everything just seems a hell of a lot more 'homely'. I use it to check my mail, structure my day, notes, music, mail everything just seems a lot more seamless. All in all, I think Lion is a pretty good O/S.

As for software, you can install pirated stuff on it; just like a PC. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mine passed the year mark with out a hitch. but i think the 17incher has a different power adapter.

any case i use handle it with kid gloves on and store cables without harsh bends on em..

Shit scene. Apple customer service acknowledged that apple does swap out the power adaptors for up to three years of the purchase date if you're in the States and if you have the older T bar style magsafe power adapter. (The new L type adapter does not have same problems apparently- Yeah right ! I beg to differ.)

All in all, I found it prettly unfair that they treat US customers differently. When I pointed that out the CS guy apologized but said he was powerless to help as that was the corporate policy in place. (Reading online it seems that there was a class action lawsuit in the States over the T style adaptor issue, hence the decision to replace them free of charge for that country.)

+1 for apple's customer service staff

-1 for apple's corporate policy and their snobbish attitude towards what seems to be an unresolved design problem.

Edited by Kavvz

-1 for apple's corporate policy and their snobbish attitude towards what seems to be an unresolved design problem.

As far as the attitude goes thats in keeping with their philosophy. Customers are idiots who need to be protected from themselves. Not saying I disagree with the conclusion, all you need to do is check out the election results, but still... there are some people left with brains.

• 1 month later...

So, I bought the iMac from Futureworld. Their service is exceptional. And also they were kind enough to give me a discount as the prices went up because of the dollar rate. Its been about three weeks since the purchase and all I can say is that the mac is DAMN GOOD!!!! Thanks to everybody who gave their openion.

BTW anybody here using the Apple remote with the OS Lion? I read in certain blogs that said its not as good as with using with the previous OS.

I almost bought a new mac mini but I took an arrow to the knee realized it has no optical drive, so I'm not sure if I should go for an older model equipped with one instead. Your opinions?

Edited by terrabytetango

I almost bought a new mac mini but I took an arrow to the knee realized it has no optical drive, so I'm not sure if I should go for an older model equipped with one instead. Your opinions?

Machan, you can use a external drive. We got a old Mac Book at home & the drive stopped reading, BT wanted 30k or something to replace. Just went across Galle Road & got a drive for 5k :)