• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Duty Going To Increase This Friday ?

sampath_fer

OK, this is just my opinion. With prevailing interest rates, the opportunity cost of cash in hand and the borrowing cost of cash is rising on a daily basis. This would result in many people opting to invest most of their savings in Fixed deposits etc which gives higher returns than investing in luxury items such as automobiles. In addition, the flavor for leasing or obtaining car loans would be limited due to the higher cost of capital. What this all folds down to is that potential sellers would want to sell their existing cars at levels where the increment to pay for a new car is minimized as much as possible. Therefore the second hand market would rise by at-least the same proportion to which relevant upgrade prices rise or even more in certain instances. However this proportion of increment will vary depending on brand, model year, etc etc which many buyers in this country are finicky about.

But hey! this is all just theory, the last thing this country is known to even come close to!!

As of my experience, those who have ordered vehicles under Govt permits or any other ( apart from those miserable tax free permits) and have already opened LC's to the name of their perspective seller's country bank, will also have to pay the taxes under the new scheme if they have not cleared the vehicle from Sri lanka Customs at the port by 31st March 2012.

So it will be the reduction of the taxes according to the vehicle engine capacity and according to the permit as per the new percentage of increased taxes.

For dummies :)

For ex: If the tax reduction is 30% as per the permit, and the previous tax rate is 120% value of the vehicle, and if the new tax rate is 275% value from the CIF value, then the reduction will be from 275% - 30%...

Correct me if im wrong but hardly this is the ugly truth...

Only relief is that ur permit Does not get cancelled if u have already opened the LC.,

and fi ur not by now... then thats also at stake...

As of my experience, those who have ordered vehicles under Govt permits or any other ( apart from those miserable tax free permits) and have already opened LC's to the name of their perspective seller's country bank, will also have to pay the taxes under the new scheme if they have not cleared the vehicle from Sri lanka Customs at the port by 31st March 2012.

So it will be the reduction of the taxes according to the vehicle engine capacity and according to the permit as per the new percentage of increased taxes.

For dummies :)

For ex: If the tax reduction is 30% as per the permit, and the previous tax rate is 120% value of the vehicle, and if the new tax rate is 275% value from the CIF value, then the reduction will be from 275% - 30%...

Correct me if im wrong but hardly this is the ugly truth...

Only relief is that ur permit Does not get cancelled if u have already opened the LC.,

and fi ur not by now... then thats also at stake...

no child , you got it all wrong . For govt servant permits Tax is calculated on CIF value. Exact percentage depends on capacity of vehicle. So that remains unchanged

no child , you got it all wrong . For govt servant permits Tax is calculated on CIF value. Exact percentage depends on capacity of vehicle. So that remains unchanged

I dnt get it... U r saying that the percentage is reduced directly form CIF value and not from the tax percentage rite? So even according to that after the tax is levied the rest of the Tax percentage is calculated according to the new scheme rte?

But i thought the permit is to reduce the taxes on the vehicle to a certain amount... not an amount from the cif value...

Here it is nicely laid out....

April 2012 Vehicle Tax Revision

Hybrid below 2000cc - 51% >>> 60%

Hybrid 2000-3000cc - 75% >>> 100%

Hybrid above 3000cc - 100% >>> 125%

Petrol below 2000cc - 120+% >>> 200%

Petrol 2000-3000cc - 154% >>> 250%

Petrol above 3000cc - 189% >>> 275%

Diesel below 2000cc - 180% >>> 250%

Diesel 1600-2000cc - 250% >>> 275%

Diesel 2000-2500cc - 267% >>> 300%

Diesel above 3000cc - 291% >>> 350%

Source: http://www.treasury....es-20120331.pdf

the way some of you upset one would think its a life and death situation.

What say you, Aroshana? Sorry, is it Aroshana or Dumbass? I am confused. YOu signed off as Dumbass before.

Tax Cuts & Tax hikes sure bring out all the dumbasses

Here it is nicely laid out....

April 2012 Vehicle Tax Revision

Hybrid below 2000cc - 51% >>> 60%

Hybrid 2000-3000cc - 75% >>> 100%

Hybrid above 3000cc - 100% >>> 125%

Petrol below 2000cc - 120+% >>> 200%

Petrol 2000-3000cc - 154% >>> 250%

Petrol above 3000cc - 189% >>> 275%

Diesel below 2000cc - 180% >>> 250%

Diesel 1600-2000cc - 250% >>> 275%

Diesel 2000-2500cc - 267% >>> 300%

Diesel above 3000cc - 291% >>> 350%

Source: http://www.treasury....es-20120331.pdf

How many threads do you intend on making the same copy and paste post on? I know that copy and paste is all you know how to do, since you don't have any reasoning power of your own, but there has to be some kind of limit to this.

They don't actually make payments for high post counts, if thats what you are trying to achieve by copy pasting the same thing in multiple threads.

How many threads do you intend on making the same copy and paste post on? I know that copy and paste is all you know how to do, since you don't have any reasoning power of your own, but there has to be some kind of limit to this.

They don't actually make payments for high post counts, if thats what you are trying to achieve by copy pasting the same thing in multiple threads.

Peri,

There wasn't a cheque in my mail box today. Do you have any idea when it will arrive?

Just so you know, the normal way of agreeing with someone is to at either "+1" or "100%".

Trying to combine the 2 and say "+100%" is just ignorant.

is it another april fool's joke?

Edited by rover

Dam i was hoping this would be an april fools joke. now we can forget buying a car. the sad thing is everyone keeps arguing outside the topic. wish someone would mention how this would affect the second hand car market and how much a 2 mil car would go up by and how much a 3 mil car would cost (second hand cars that are already here).

I am SERIOUSLY offended by the lack of common sense on display. Makes me stop feeling sorry for some folk.

:sad-smiley-054::sad-smiley-054:

There`re no comments on Viva Elite new price except the one with a wild guess says it`ll go up by 3-4 lakhs. Can any of pro members here please show us how the price hike will effect the old price. As I found, there are many members who badly wanna know this including my self. Thanks.