• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Insight Views

Mikee

Hi guys, i was waiting to buy a new car (probably a toyota vitz) but with this increase in vehicle duty i feel like its worth buying Honda insight instead of a non hybrid car. What are your views on this and this increase in duty? Thanks in advance...

technically hybrid prices should only go up by about 6%. but because all other cars cost about 30% more now the demand for hybrids will increase massively and their prices could increase by up to 10-15%. buy a 2nd hand vitz now if you can find one for the old price or a little more. with a hybrid you have a bit more time but if you are buying an insight, because your other option was a toyota, make sure you are ok with the high parts prices and awful agents.

• Like 1

I have a couple of friends who have the Insight and they are very happy with it.

It's a good A-B car that is reliable and gives gives excellent hybrid fuel economy. Expect over 20kmpl in normal driving, which is much better than a Vitz. At the new tax rate the Insight is also better value for money than the Vitz.

This a U.S. done quality/reliability/durability analysis of thousands of the Insight. The Insight gets excellent scores.

35klugw.jpg

It's a good A-B car that is reliable and gives gives excellent hybrid fuel economy. Expect over 20kmpl in normal driving, which is much better than a Vitz. At the new tax rate the Insight is also better value for money than the Vitz.

This a U.S. done quality/reliability/durability analysis of thousands of the Insight. The Insight gets excellent scores.

Dude, stop trying to feed people lies. One thing, this is not the US so conditions are different, and other thing, perfect conditions don't prevail in real life (for f/c).

Long story short, I know two people who calculate the fuel consumption to the decimals with their Insights, and both get around 15 even with all what they do to save fuel... One upgraded from a 3 cyl 1L Vitz and he's actually regretting it, even while the Vitz was down on power, and space.

I have a couple of friends who have the Insight and they are very happy with it.

35klugw.jpg

The only setback is the poor rear leg room and head room.Thats the main reason why I changed my decision of buying the Insight. But it is the better looking one.

Edited by rover

I know two people who calculate the fuel consumption to the decimals with their Insights, and both get around 15 even with all what they do to save fuel...

I have driven the Insight several times and always got over 20kmpl. Point your friends to some youtube videos that show people how to drive a hybrid.

(and I don't mean hypermiling, but just how to make use of the regenerative braking and the eco assist.)

I have driven the Insight several times and always got over 20kmpl. Point your friends to some youtube videos that show people how to drive a hybrid.

(and I don't mean hypermiling, but just how to make use of the regenerative braking and the eco assist.)

FYI: 44mpg = 19kmpl. 65mpg=27kmpl

Hi guys, i was waiting to buy a new car (probably a toyota vitz) but with this increase in vehicle duty i feel like its worth buying Honda insight instead of a non hybrid car. What are your views on this and this increase in duty? Thanks in advance...

My dad have a honda insight bought recently before the tax increase. For me Honday insight is a good vehicle to drive and the interior/spacing and value for money.

I dont know how economical the price is for a new one. normally it was around 37k in the market for existing vehicles already bought into the country.

But as per the Car sale Guy ,if you buy a new insignt with new taxes it will increase about 8 laks. (thats what he says)

But probably new Vitz will cost you more.

I would say better go for a Hybrid since anyway Petrol prices will be going up after the New year. and it will keep going up !!! :speechless-smiley-004:

Still there are Insights for 38 Lakhs. Go for L or LX grade. It will cost more 2-3 lakhs but worth. Go for personal imports as you can see all the auction sheets and original JAAI. Most of the sales don't show you the original JAAI and auction sheets. They show you only photo copies.

My dad have a honda insight bought recently before the tax increase. For me Honday insight honda insight is a good vehicle to drive and the interior/spacing and value for money.

Long story short, I know two people who calculate the fuel consumption to the decimals with their Insights, and both get around 15 even with all what they do to save fuel... One upgraded from a 3 cyl 1L Vitz and he's actually regretting it, even while the Vitz was down on power, and space.

The reason behind the low gas mileage is the engine driven ac compressor. In SL unlike in the US you have to keep the ac always on so the engine will be running Continuously even at standstill during traffic. Hence the effectiveness of the "eco assist" mode is impaired.

Edited by rover
  • Like 3

Insight

Pros; Stylish, fuel efficient, large boot space, silent car comparing to Vitz

Cons; expensive and not freely available as Vitz parts, rear leg & head space and middle seat position.

Edited by WCW

The reason behind the low gas mileage is the engine driven ac compressor. In SL unlike in the US you have to keep the ac always on so the engine will be running Continuously even at standstill during traffic. Hence the effectiveness of the "eco assist" mode is impaired.

AC is necessary in all parts of the U.S also. In some places it's needed all year round and other parts only during the summer months from May to September.

I got 20+ kmpl in the Insight using AC. Btw, I remember Pericles wrote last year or the year before in one of the threads that he drove an Insight and got above 20km/l. Don't know if he had AC on.

BTW, the popular idea that SL's climate conditions are somehow worse or more difficult for vehicles than U.S conditions is not true.

U.S. climate conditions are much more difficult than SL because the U.S. weather and climate varies through such extremes. Hotter, dustier with stronger sun than SL in Arizona & Nevada desert, freezing cold icy snowy conditions in Alaska & New Hampshire, and as hot, humid and tropical conditions as SL in Hawaii, Florida and Puerto Rico. Vehicles in the U.S. go through this much more extreme climate than vehicles in SL.

I got 20+ kmpl in the Insight using AC. Btw, I remember Pericles wrote last year or the year before in one of the threads that he drove an Insight and got above 20km/l. Don't know if he had AC on.

Funny, I don't remember this. I have test driven an Insight, down the office road and a few times round the office car park. If it got 20, that would have been what it showed on a real time display. Which wouldn't be particularly impressive since that number would show on Madmax's 320D too. Once you did the conversions, IIRC.

and as hot, humid and tropical conditions as SL in Hawaii, Florida and Puerto Rico. Vehicles in the U.S. go through this much more extreme climate than vehicles in SL.

Did you know Madmax lives in Florida now? Not the feedback I got from him. But I'll be sure to let you know my personal observations on the weather after visiting him.

I'm generally not too impressed with American's ideas of "hot". They break out the spaghetti tops and short skirts claiming its "hot" when the temp was 17C. (At least in NYC). Granted, I've heard its rather hot in Death Valley, but still. But unless I can convince Max to come see the F1 race in Austin, I'm not headed towards a desert.

I own a Honda Insight for last 8 Months...following are the fule economy stats what I've noticed...

With my family i.e. 5 passengers ....A/C on....Petrol 90Oct

1. Colombo- Kandy - > 23kmpl

2. Colombo City limits - > 17-20 Kmpl

3. Southern Highway average around 110Kmph ...Colombo - Galle - > 25Kmpl

4. Airport road ...colombo - Katunayake - > 23Kmpl

Funny, I don't remember this. I have test driven an Insight, down the office road and a few times round the office car park. If it got 20, that would have been what it showed on a real time display.

The words you wrote were that driving the Insight you got "over 20km/l" or "above 20km/l". Don't remember exactly which.

Anyway, it's not difficult to get more than 20km/l in the Insight.

Did you know Madmax lives in Florida now? Not the feedback I got from him. But I'll be sure to let you know my personal observations on the weather after visiting him.

I'm generally not too impressed with American's ideas of "hot". They break out the spaghetti tops and short skirts claiming its "hot" when the temp was 17C. (At least in NYC). Granted, I've heard its rather hot in Death Valley, but still. But unless I can convince Max to come see the F1 race in Austin, I'm not headed towards a desert.

Depends where in FL Madmax lives and also the time of the year. Parts of Southern Florida are tropical. Florida temps can often go over 35 C. The temp in desert areas of the U.S. - California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico etc - routinely goes over 50 C. Even in the Northern U.S. where I live, the temp goes above 33C on some days in the summer.

Btw, ask Madmax to take you 'car shopping' while you're there. Dress decently, hit the agents of the cars you's like to drive, and go on test drives of whatever cars you're interested in.

I own a Honda Insight for last 8 Months...following are the fule economy stats what I've noticed...

With my family i.e. 5 passengers ....A/C on....Petrol 90Oct

1. Colombo- Kandy - > 23kmpl

2. Colombo City limits - > 17-20 Kmpl

3. Southern Highway average around 110Kmph ...Colombo - Galle - > 25Kmpl

4. Airport road ...colombo - Katunayake - > 23Kmpl

Thanks. Important information.

Btw, ask Madmax to take you 'car shopping' while you're there. Dress decently, hit the agents of the cars you's like to drive, and go on test drives of whatever cars you're interested in.

Thanks so much for the advice. Us poor third world hicks woulda never been able to think of an idea like that unless you suggested it, massa sir.

This kinda thing is what makes you an asshole, just so you know.

I have driven Honda Insight 2010 for last couple of days from home to work and work to Home Rajagiriya - Fort, I only managed to get 13Km/L when econ button is on, but I noticed I can get more when econ button is off. Any ideas?

I have very recently bought this with genuine mileage of 29000 and I didn't do any oil changes or filter changes yet. Will the fuel efficiency inrease after the service? My brother also has a prius 2nd generation and it managing to get more than 18Km/L.

Thanks so much for the advice. Us poor third world hicks woulda never been able to think of an idea like that unless you suggested it, massa sir.

This kinda thing is what makes you an asshole, just so you know.

Oh come on machan please take his advice for your own good. he's asking you to shed the amudey that u wear every day in this poor third world country and wear a shirt and a trouser. Are u sure u know how to wear shirts and trousers, let alone how to drive a car?

On a serious note, if you are traveling somewhere close to where this moron is living, will u do me a favour and slap him? I'll even contribute to your travel costs if u would do that for me...