• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Valvai Mechanic

Kuhan James Thurairarasa

Question

i dont think anyone is blind over here to this extent :speechless-smiley-004:

One quick question back to you, were you known as "Zambo" in a previous life?

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is " Valvai " ??

i maybe wrong but i think it's a small village in jaffna district

you mean velvettithurai?

No srsly, Valvai exists.

Shortened to Valvai for people who have trouble spelling, like me.

But getting back on topic.. really???

It is a small town like pathfinder said but seriously get a grip where can I find a mechanic that is able to add body kit to my car?

Kuhan do you mean velvettithurai?

And give us a few details of your car, mate. I'm guessing Jaffna has a few places but if you want a decent job you might have to horde it to Colombo. Loads of ppl here. All depends on your taste and the depth of your pockets!

And please for the love of god don't ask who zambo is!

• Like 1

Kuhan welcome to the forum

What car do you drive?

try and get mechanic in Jaffna machan as otherwise you will spend quite a lot on fuel just to come to Colombo to fix things in your car!

Do you get a lot of old cars still running there like Austin A40 and Morris Oxfords and Hillmans

and sorr for being soo rude in that quote

And give us a few details of your car, mate. I'm guessing Jaffna has a few places but if you want a decent job you might have to horde it to Colombo. Loads of ppl here. All depends on your taste and the depth of your pockets!

What car do you drive?

try and get mechanic in Jaffna machan as otherwise you will spend quite a lot on fuel just to come to Colombo to fix things in your car!

Do you get a lot of old cars still running there like Austin A40 and Morris Oxfords and Hillmans

He's trying to buy a rx7 or 180sx in jafna.... not just buy, but buy + modify+use+maintain....

I take you this is your first time coming to Sri Lanka (let alone jafna)... i'm guessing you have some family living there that you'll be visiting.. ask them what cars they see on the roads. You'll wont get anything beyond a compact or conventional family sedan in those areas. Plus roads in those areas are a challenge for normal cars as it is.. so a low-slung car like a rx7 (even if u manage to buy one elsewhere in the country) wont be feasible on any of those roads with the exception of maybe a popular main road.

He's trying to buy a rx7 or 180sx in jafna.... not just buy, but buy + modify+use+maintain....

I take you this is your first time coming to Sri Lanka (let alone jafna)... i'm guessing you have some family living there that you'll be visiting.. ask them what cars they see on the roads. You'll wont get anything beyond a compact or conventional family sedan in those areas. Plus roads in those areas are a challenge for normal cars as it is.. so a low-slung car like a rx7 (even if u manage to buy one elsewhere in the country) wont be feasible on any of those roads with the exception of maybe a popular main road.

What car do you drive?

as watchman said I want a rx7 but I am not getting it from jaffna I am arrive from flight in colombo so there might be a chance of me getting the cars I most want and I might get a

Mazda RX7/NISSAN TRAD SUNNY RZ-1/HONDA CIVIC EG8(basicly a car I can put a good looking cheap and easy to find bodykit except the nissan trad sunny) so where could I get when in jaffna like an adress or a phone number?. and thanks for welcoming me

as watchman said I want a rx7 but I am not getting it from jaffna I am arrive from flight in colombo so there might be a chance of me getting the cars I most want and I might get a

Mazda RX7/NISSAN TRAD SUNNY RZ-1/HONDA CIVIC EG8(basicly a car I can put a good looking cheap and easy to find bodykit except the nissan trad sunny) so where could I get when in jaffna like an adress or a phone number?. and thanks for welcoming me

and whis is better and faster?Mazda RX7/NISSAN TRAD SUNNY RZ-1/HONDA CIVIC EG8

thanks for helping and I do mean valvettithurai komisiripala

It seems you haven't really grasped what watchmen is saying, he is saying it is next to impossible to buy a rx-7 in SL let alone manage to maintain it and drive it in an under developed area like Jaffna. Sorry if i sound rude but thats just a fact, Jaffna isnt as developed in terms of road conditions, spare parts shops or even people with mechanical expertise as other major cities like Colombo or Kandy. Your best bet is to get a civic and rice it up as you want

I have relatives in velvettithurai. Never heard it being called valvai. Just curious.

Your wish list is a little far spaced. An rx7 is more or less an exotic here. The problems you'll

Have are:

1. Finding an unmolested one with a rotary motor is near impossible. And those who have them are

Not willing to part with them for easy money. Will cost upwards of 2 million rupees.

2. The ones with inline engines have been hacked to death. You will spend more time at the mech than on the road.

3. The road conditions in Jaffna are deplorable mate. Ride height of an rx is too low. You'll never be able to let her rip

Regarding the rz1: good choice but difficult to find. Will be around 700-900k. A bit dated tho. If you find a rare turbocharged red top version you're sorted! Maintenance will be a bitch tho.

Re. The civic: yup, ricer heaven. I think will fit your needs perfectly.

Hang in there mate. It will be difficult initially but as rice culture spreads in Jaffna you'll find more and mOre ppl and places to maintain jap cars.

But don't land in Colombo and run to buy a car. Take your time. Local car market is an unforgiving place for a bright eyed noob

It seems you haven't really grasped what watchmen is saying, he is saying it is next to impossible to buy a rx-7 in SL let alone manage to maintain it and drive it in an under developed area like Jaffna. Sorry if i sound rude but thats just a fact, Jaffna isnt as developed in terms of road conditions, spare parts shops or even people with mechanical expertise as other major cities like Colombo or Kandy. Your best bet is to get a civic and rice it up as you want

I have relatives in velvettithurai. Never heard it being called valvai. Just curious.

Your wish list is a little far spaced. An rx7 is more or less an exotic here. The problems you'll

Have are:

1. Finding an unmolested one with a rotary motor is near impossible. And those who have them are

Not willing to part with them for easy money. Will cost upwards of 2 million rupees.

2. The ones with inline engines have been hacked to death. You will spend more time at the mech than on the road.

3. The road conditions in Jaffna are deplorable mate. Ride height of an rx is too low. You'll never be able to let her rip

Regarding the rz1: good choice but difficult to find. Will be around 700-900k. A bit dated tho. If you find a rare turbocharged red top version you're sorted! Maintenance will be a bitch tho.

Re. The civic: yup, ricer heaven. I think will fit your needs perfectly.

Hang in there mate. It will be difficult initially but as rice culture spreads in Jaffna you'll find more and mOre ppl and places to maintain jap cars.

But don't land in Colombo and run to buy a car. Take your time. Local car market is an unforgiving place for a bright eyed noob

so then I guess I will get a civic becuase it is easier to find , maintain and place perfomance parts like JDM???

Have are:

??...Depends on what gen RX7 he wants.The FB series cars will cost about 6 to 10 laks,and FC series cars will go at about 11 to 15 laks...and the FDs will be 1.8 mil and upwards.And they are not that unreliable,most of the troubles I had were due to neglect and stupidity of the previous owners.

But I see the OP is mentioning RX7s and Trad Sunnys,bodykits in the same sentence...hmmm...OP Just forget about the RX7s and go for a mainstream Sunny or whatever.Sorry if I sound harsh but you'll thank me for this someday.

??...Depends on what gen RX7 he wants.The FB series cars will cost about 6 to 10 laks,and FC series cars will go at about 11 to 15 laks...and the FDs will be 1.8 mil and upwards.And they are not that unreliable,most of the troubles I had were due to neglect and stupidity of the previous owners.

But I see the OP is mentioning RX7s and Trad Sunnys,bodykits in the same sentence...hmmm...OP Just forget about the RX7s and go for a mainstream Sunny or whatever.Sorry if I sound harsh but you'll thank me for this someday.

well i was going for the fd3s series

who or what is a zambo

dont think too much about it if you really dont know who it is.

Its a dumb-a$$ who showed up pretending to be Einstein of automotive engineering and ended up being a big laughing stock. His initial post sounded a bit like yours so naturally we presumed u were him. But you seem more legit, hence the genuine advice you've been given so far.

No mate that's not what I meant. Most of the inline conversions I've seen have not

Been maintained properly. So he'll effectively be buying a white elephant. And what's the point of an rx with anything but a rotary?

Such finer points might be overhead transmission for James, but I do concur on the fact that an rx is not for Jaffna. Not at the monent

Edited by Komisiripala

You will not find a mechanic within 300km of Jaffna to look after a rotary.

If I was you, I'd first come to the country, get an understanding of the ground situation and then decide. Chances are you'll find it hard to maintain a Corolla over there, much less anything sporty.

Of course, it depends on how much money you have to throw at the problem.

• Like 1

If I was you, I'd first come to the country, get an understanding of the ground situation and then decide. Chances are you'll find it hard to maintain a Corolla over there, much less anything sporty.

well i heard there are som in Jaffna and I never said I was getting a corolla but im sorry if you think i said it too rude

And that 300km is not a US/european highway. We're talking at LEAST a 8-9 hour trip (one way).