• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Won't Start

ravir

Question

Hi Guys,

My car wont start. i had the battery checked by the BattMobile and the guy said it is fine and power was not going to the starter motor. I haven't found a regular garage/mechanic since the last one went batty.

I would greatly appreciate help with 2 things. One is to find a mechanic who will come out to the car which is presently on the roadside near the NCC and the other is a recommendation for a garage close to Punchi Borella as that is where i live.

Thanks

Ravi

14 answers to this question

If you give some details on what you mean by "my car wont start".. Maybe you could explain what you did (in the starting process) till the point where the car didnt do as it should have done.

Hi,

the details are as follows;

inserted key in ignition, turned ignition, no response (no clicking, the engine doesn't turnover nothing)

Hi Guys,

My car wont start. i had the battery checked by the BattMobile and the guy said it is fine and power was not going to the starter motor. I haven't found a regular garage/mechanic since the last one went batty.

I would greatly appreciate help with 2 things. One is to find a mechanic who will come out to the car which is presently on the roadside near the NCC and the other is a recommendation for a garage close to Punchi Borella as that is where i live.

Thanks

Ravi

There is a chap called Wasantha. His Garrage is off the Baseline road, just after the railway crossing (I think he has moved his Garrage from Baseline road itself but not too far). If you ask a shop just after the railway crossing they will point you to where his workshop is located.

Also did you try push starting the car? Even if starter motor has failed you should be able to push start the car and get it started and take it to a garage under its own power.

Hi,

the details are as follows;

inserted key in ignition, turned ignition, no response (no clicking, the engine doesn't turnover nothing)

When you turn the key to the first notch, do the dashboards lights come on?

If NO: you most probably have a loose/disconnected battery terminal. (double check to be true if none of the other electrics work)

If YES: Your battery might have discharged to the brink such that its not enough to crank the starter motor.

Have you tried a jump start or push start?

There is a chap called Wasantha. His Garrage is off the Baseline road, just after the railway crossing (I think he has moved his Garrage from Baseline road itself but not too far). If you ask a shop just after the railway crossing they will point you to where his workshop is located.

Also did you try push starting the car? Even if starter motor has failed you should be able to push start the car and get it started and take it to a garage under its own power.

Will see i i can get a hold of Wasantha. I didn't try a push start as it is an automatic. Thanks for the referral and the suggestion.

When you turn the key to the first notch, do the dashboards lights come on?

If NO: you most probably have a loose/disconnected battery terminal. (double check to be true if none of the other electrics work)

If YES: Your battery might have discharged to the brink such that its not enough to crank the starter motor.

Have you tried a jump start or push start?

Dashboard lights come on, headlights work fine. The battery guy checked the battery and said it was fine. Tried to jump start but no response. didn't try push start as it is an automatic. Thanks.

Dashboard lights come on, headlights work fine. The battery guy checked the battery and said it was fine. Tried to jump start but no response. didn't try push start as it is an automatic. Thanks.

all so check the starter motor wiring connector maybe it came loose.

btw what is your vehicle?.

it's most definitely an electrical issue.First check the for loose wires and broken fuses.Then check the starter switch a.k.a solenoid switch.If all fails have them check the thing called the 'igniter' which can be usually found inside the distributor.

'ravir',

Take a heavy wire battery wire and connect to the other terminal of the starter motor that means not the battery supply line then starter motor should work. but solenoid will not engage some times. As you have checked the other things. If motor works then remove the solenoid supply line connect the heavy battery wire to that small wire which comes from the starter switch. connect same wire to that small pin, then connect heavy battery wire to the other terminal of the solenoid which goes to inside of the motor.

If this also fails then it is the motor because your car is auto, get a mechanic down and remove the self starter motor and repair same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

if supplying a 12v live wire from positive battery terminal to starter motor start solenoid wire starts the car then you have a shifter problem. automatic cars willl not start if the gear is not in park position.

My freind once had that problem..nothing seemed to work.But i just moved the gear to neutral and again to park while the key is "on" switch.viola it started after that.Anwywy dont know the reason behind this.