• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Lancer Cs Or Nissan March With New Prices

asankabs

Question

i know when some one post something like this, people would say 'use the search button'. i did but with new prices, those are outdated.

im looking for car around 2.0m to 2.3m

my first choice: lancer cs1 / cs2 face lift model: year 2003/2004, manual one

- nice sedan but i checked lots of ads and found out most of them has done around 90,000 - 120,000 KM

so will i get lots of repairs? and do you think can i buy such model for the old price (around 2.0m)

second choice: march AK12 2007 model

- according to my research i think i can find such model for 22.5 - 23 with 30,000< odometer

but i don't like it's look and i know it's bad on fuel

so what do you think??

are those prices are still valid? please mention new prices if you know

what are the other options that i have?

also what is the minimum prices that i can negotiate with the seller.

lots of questions, i have very little knowledge about cars and even got the licence recently, please help

16 answers to this question

Seriously do u believe in the odometer reading?

What u need to do first is to think about your requirements and then decide which car to go for.

like i said i dont have any experience about cars. so what do you think? 2004 or 2007?

i know when some one post something like this, people would say 'use the search button'. i did but with new prices, those are outdated.

- nice sedan but i checked lots of ads and found out most of them has done around 90,000 - 120,000 KM

so will i get lots of repairs? and do you think can i buy such model for the old price (around 2.0m)

- according to my research i think i can find such model for 22.5 - 23 with 30,000< odometer

so what do you think??

lots of questions, i have very little knowledge about cars and even got the licence recently, please help

Dude do you know you're asking VERY subjective questions.... there's no right answer... most of the questions will be based on people's personal preference of models, maintenance history of the vehicle or the bargaining mood of the seller..

But frankly you cant goto a seller and say the old price was XXX so i want to buy it at XXX... If its the 'new' price, then thats still THE price.

I'll stop my commenting now before someone comes here and blows a newbie-rape-whistle..

only way to gauge the market prices is to go and checkout cars personally. I'd visit a few used cars sales and those "auction" places like punchi car niwasa etc.

Once you have a rough idea of selling prices of a particular model...a ballpark figure... you cane make a call on roughly how to offer a seller. Naturally, all sellers will be trying to get the max for their cars.

As for mileage, as watchman rightly said...you can't depend on odo readers one bit.

You'd have to checkout the condition of the car and make an educated guess. One can learn a lot about the car from the demeanour of it's present owner too.

If you're new to cars, find a friend or a mechanic chap who knows cars and knows fair bit about the particular model of car when you go to check cars out.

FInally, you have to visit seller sites in person and making phone calls aint gonna cut it. Nothing like getting your feet dirty!

@Watchman

Love the noob-rape-whistle thing :D Them cyber white nights on their wooden ponies have threatened fight for "justice" here :P

• Like 3

so what do you think??

2004 Lancer CS1 or 2 manual is a good choice, the mileage and prices> you'd better find out.

Lancer Cs1/2 is a good choice given it's a sedan with decent fuel figures and looks. didn't know much about AK12. about the odometer reading you may not worry that much if the vehicle is well maintained by the previous owner (you also should)

Edited by hrm

Careful when buying a car these days. Due to the volatility of prices, "buyyos" are having a party time again. Some times you can tell its a "buyya" when the vehicle has open papers. Take some petrolheaded pals with you, if you feel your knowledge is not good enough. That's what I do every time.

Had a 2003 k12 previously. Sold it last week and got a cs1(2006).

The nissan is not quite fuel efficiant but is comfy and a compact a-b car with good features for that budget.

The cs1 2003 / 2006 were in the range of 18 to 25 (checked in the last few weeks)

If the condition is good and the service records are straight the odo reading should not be a big deal.

Careful when buying a car these days. Due to the volatility of prices, "buyyos" are having a party time again. Some times you can tell its a "buyya" when the vehicle has open papers. Take some petrolheaded pals with you, if you feel your knowledge is not good enough. That's what I do every time.

what are bayyos or bayyas?

what are bayyos or bayyas?

That's the local derogatory term for small time automobile buyers & sellers. :)

You know these small time crooks that buy some hacked car, add a dash of sale paint, fix some "nickel handles", reverse the odo to ridiculous levels, paste a few "L-Grade" badges, add a few lakhs of rupees and talk as if the car was a gift from God. Usually the operate in groups, create artificial prices, (esp for FB-14, 15, AE 110), tinker on the demand and supply. In fact these are the crooks (other than the makabaas types) that create an hyperinflated values to Toyotas and Nissans

Last week went to check out a few cars for a relative, many turned out to be "buyyo" crooks trying to make a quick buck because the car market was panicking due to high prices. One dead give-away was all the middlemen's cars had open papers, though they talk as if they owned it since they were borne. If you question them closely, you would know they have no idea of the car, its history, its previous owners or its maintenance records.

One fellow actually didn't even know the number of previous owners, initially he said it was "only 2 or 3" later it turned out to be 7! .

And another said the registration book was sent to RMV to upgrade, but wanted us to place an "advance" because he claimed the car prices were shooting up and we might miss up on this once in a life time opportunity to buy his blessed Toyota. So be careful, all sorts of crooks having party time at the expense of a few unsuspecting people thanks to these stupid never-ending tax revisions.

Edited by liya
  • Like 1

Oh i see... thanks! :)

But wasnt there a law that came in saying that a car has to be registered under the new owner within 10 days of purchase?

And frankly I dont see anyone in their proper senses selling their car without relinquishing all ownership liabilities to it on a document upon handing over the keys...

Edited by Watchman

Yes, there is a law now. You will be penalized if the transfer is not registered. But a lot of cars in sri lanka are still on open papers.

I usually always phone and ask if the car is on open papers before I go and inspect it. Would have saved a lot of time you see, but was helping out one of the dickheaded relations yesterday who kept insisting we go see each and every car.......

Edited by liya

Odo meter could be clocked BUT a sure sign of high usage is the wear on the pedal rubbers, steering wheel (of course a cover may have been used!) and horn button area, and shift lever knob, light and wiper switch markings. Usually no one bothers to change the pedal rubbers shift leaver knob and wiper and headlight leaver marking even if they wind back the odo!

A car with excess of 100,000kms will have worn out pedal rubbers whereas a car which has done a genuine 30,000ks will have the pedal rubbers almost intact. So if you see a car with 50,000ks BUT with worn peddle rubbers, erased light switch markings and a worn out sfhift leaver knob, it's a sure LEMON!

Just my two cents worth from experience!

Edited by Magnum357

Odo meter could be clocked BUT a sure sign of high usage is the wear on the pedal rubbers, steering wheel (of course a cover may have been used!) and horn button area, and shift lever knob, light and wiper switch markings. Usually no one bothers to change the pedal rubbers shift leaver knob and wiper and headlight leaver marking even if they wind back the odo!

A car with excess of 100,000kms will have worn out pedal rubbers whereas a car which has done a genuine 30,000ks will have the pedal rubbers almost intact. So if you see a car with 50,000ks BUT with worn peddle rubbers, erased light switch markings and a worn out sfhift leaver knob, it's a sure LEMON!

Just my two cents worth from experience!

wow great advice