• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Windscreen Replacement

akanuruddha

I met with an accident and my REAR windshield is broken (Car model is Honda Fit, 2011). It came with a factory fitted BLACK rear windscreen. When I went to stafford, said they are having only clear windscreen :sad-smiley-066: (not even importing black glass) . Found a Black windscreen at Samarasinghe, but it was not made by HONDA . Couldn't find a exactly matching glass in Delkanda or Panchikawatta. So I feel there are two options

1) Put a clear windscreen from Stafford and apply 3M tint. But, will it look like a original Black glass??

2) Put a NON-HONDA black glass from Samarasinghe. But it will reduce the vehicle value..

Please help me on this... (Or tell me If anybody knows where to buy a good second hand glass)

Edited by akanuruddha

Reduce the value. Of course. Yes. The fact that you MET WITH AN ACCIDENT would have no effect on the after sales value. Why? Because you're not gonna tell the buyer.

So if you're inclined to sit on values, put the cheap glass and be as descriptive about that to the buyer as you are going to be about your accident.

Problem solved

• Like 3

I met with an accident and my REAR windshield is broken (Car model is Honda Fit, 2011). It came with a factory fitted BLACK rear windscreen. When I went to stafford, said they are having only clear windscreen :sad-smiley-066: (not even importing black glass) . Found a Black windscreen at Samarasinghe, but it was not made by HONDA . Couldn't find a exactly matching glass in Delkanda or Panchikawatta. So I feel there are two options

1) Put a clear windscreen from Stafford and apply 3M tint. But, will it look like a original Black glass??

2) Put a NON-HONDA black glass from Samarasinghe. But it will reduce the vehicle value..

Please help me on this... (Or tell me If anybody knows where to buy a good second hand glass)

Somebody else had exactly the same issues with an HRV. My personal view is if you want the darkened glass and only Samarasinghe has it, I propose you go and get it fitted at Samarasinghe. If you want a genuine Honda glass, either try to source one via Delkanda or Pay Stafford and install the clear glass.

I don't think either will affect the value as much as I don't think most buyers go around trying to read the brand off glasses which is not easy anyway in darkened glass.

• Like 1

Found a Brandnew Honda Black glass.. with HONDA logo.. dealer say it is a singapore glass (whatever).. Prices is quite reasonable, slightly above samarasinghes.

but unfortunately have to argue with insurance as they insist me to go with samarasinghe..!! :violent-smiley-100:

Reduce the value. Of course. Yes. The fact that you MET WITH AN ACCIDENT would have no effect on the after sales value. Why? Because you're not gonna tell the buyer.

So if you're inclined to sit on values, put the cheap glass and be as descriptive about that to the buyer as you are going to be about your accident.

Problem solved

Will do... in a perfect world..!!

Found a Brandnew Honda Black glass.. with HONDA logo.. dealer say it is a singapore glass (whatever).. Prices is quite reasonable, slightly above samarasinghes.

but unfortunately have to argue with insurance as they insist me to go with samarasinghe..!! :violent-smiley-100:

Who is the dealer? And more importantly who is the glass manufacturer? Anybody can put the Honda logo on but unless its an OEM manufacturer like Asahi, Nippon or somebody similar its not original. Also I'm sure insurance will be happy to sponsor this glass up to the Samarasinghe value if you make up the shortfall yourself if this is this important to you.

• Like 1

Who is the dealer? And more importantly who is the glass manufacturer? Anybody can put the Honda logo on but unless its an OEM manufacturer like Asahi, Nippon or somebody similar its not original. Also I'm sure insurance will be happy to sponsor this glass up to the Samarasinghe value if you make up the shortfall yourself if this is this important to you.

Thanks for the advise..!! As I remember it was "Benson" but will double check..!! Both Benson and Honda wordings were bit overlapped..

Thanks for the advise..!! As I remember it was "Benson" but will double check..!! Both Benson and Honda wordings were bit overlapped..

Benson? Is that the glass manufacturer? I must say I've not come across that manufacturer but maybe they supply Honda facilities in other Asian markets. In Europe they are supplied by Pilkington I believe. There are many major glass manufacturers like HGV, Splintex, Pilkington, Tripple X apart from Asahi and Nippon and all of them are OEM supplies to many brands around the world. I think Ford and GM make their own glass in some markets.

• Like 1

Benson? Is that the glass manufacturer? I must say I've not come across that manufacturer but maybe they supply Honda facilities in other Asian markets. In Europe they are supplied by Pilkington I believe. There are many major glass manufacturers like HGV, Splintex, Pilkington, Tripple X apart from Asahi and Nippon and all of them are OEM supplies to many brands around the world. I think Ford and GM make their own glass in some markets.

Frankly I barely remember the name.. Anyway I found this

http://www.bensonaut...us/contacts.php

But seems this one cant be..! :action-smiley-012: Will check more precisely.. My original glasses are manufactured by "JIS". But the thing is this a two weeks effort to find a BLACK glass with HONDA logo, especially a brandnew.. Now feel bit fishy..!!

Dealer is Highlevel windscreen..!!

Edited by akanuruddha

But seems this one cant be..! :action-smiley-012: Will check more precisely.. My original glasses are manufactured by "JIS". But the thing is this a two weeks effort to find a BLACK glass with HONDA logo, especially a brandnew.. Now feel bit fishy..!!

Tell me again why you dont want to goto samarasinghe? ::rolleyes::

• Like 1

Double check the manufacturer and check up on them. Also check the manufacturer of the Samarasinghe version as well and ask them about country of manufacture. They usually have two different grades of glasses. When I replaced mine my father had chosen the more expensive version (not out of choice the cheaper one didn't fit properly ha ha ha)

• Like 1

Double check the manufacturer and check up on them. Also check the manufacturer of the Samarasinghe version as well and ask them about country of manufacture. They usually have two different grades of glasses. When I replaced mine my father had chosen the more expensive version (not out of choice the cheaper one didn't fit properly ha ha ha)

Ya.. I checked it with samarasinghe.. For this car they have only one glass type... brand is "XYG" and they were honest to say it is not a genuine glass.. and no other expensive version is available (this is already expensive) for this model..

Btw, the glass i have planned to buy may not be a genuine, but it is the most identical one (for the time being)...

Edited by akanuruddha