• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Latest Idea Of Sub Woofer

Dragonfly

Hi Guys, Recently I got a pretty cheap, (but a bright idea)

But thought about getting some advice from experts here before going forward.

I know that a sub woofer is pretty expensive. But I can buy a computer sub, with pretty good quality for about 3000/-.

So thought about fixing one of these under the seat while existing speakers are there.

What do u think? Of course wiring is bit of a problem with my little knowledge.

Well since its a cheap idea, its gonna be cheap, look cheap, sound cheap and in all make you and your car cheap..

If you still wanna go for it I guess you'll have to fiddle with the wiring, swap the transformer inside and also the jacks need to be changed or a converter must be used..

Also 3000 buck subwoofer will not be good enough to even come close to outwit a real system.. Head units sub out will not work properly with the PC sub unit//

My suggestion, be patient, save up and get the real deal..

• Like 2

do not spoil this forum with such stupid stuff.. If u don't have da bucks in ur hand, keep ur mouth shut rather than conveying the damn ideas in ur head for god's sake. thank you

I don't see anything wrong with "Dragonfly" wanting to run his idea by the forum members before he proceeds with it: what are YOU so mad about?

[besides, one of the members here did a bang up job building a subwoofer enclosure for his truck that probably came out better than a store bought option would have; so really, I don't see anything wrong with DIY projects as an alternative...]

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 5

do not spoil this forum with such stupid stuff.. If u don't have da bucks in ur hand, keep ur mouth shut rather than conveying the damn ideas in ur head for god's sake. thank you

There's no need for aggression like this. So what if he can't afford it? Live and let live. At least he's trying

As for the idea, let me tell you that I've tried to implement this, but it's not worth it. I was 18, and the car was a 1984 Toyota dx. The sub I had bought from my own money and I didn't ask dad to pimp a car for me.

The problems:

You have to mess with the wiring so that the sub can take 12v dc.

Cheap computer subs don't have adequate displacement to shake up a car cabin

You are better off going with a powered sub. A cheap Chinese/Malaysian one for now. It'll cost you anywhere between 8000-10000. But it's so worth the money. Save up and invest in that. Check Sunday classifieds there are ppl who sell used subs too. Even the car audio places stock uses subs.

But I recommend the first option.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, Recently I got a pretty cheap, (but a bright idea)

But thought about getting some advice from experts here before going forward.

I know that a sub woofer is pretty expensive. But I can buy a computer sub, with pretty good quality for about 3000/-.

So thought about fixing one of these under the seat while existing speakers are there.

What do u think? Of course wiring is bit of a problem with my little knowledge.

The problem with the comp amp system is that generally, the subs are 8ohms. Not very efficient on a car system cos they tend to be 4ohms at the headunit and good aftermarket amps will offer you even 2ohms.

Also using comp audio system means you gotta use the crossover/electronics built into that unit. Meaning you'd have to power it up with an inverter or something instead of being able to use the cars 12v system. Also headunits that offer direct subdrives too wont be able to "communicate" properly with a amplifier designed for computer systems.

If you really want to try it out, i think it's possible. But looking at the hassle involved and not having the ability to really decide how you can get results the way you want...it's just not worth the hassle.

I would snoop around audio installing joints and see whether they've got used subs, amps for sale on the cheap. When i first did a system install at advance, they had some used sub amps, speakers etc for sale with them. Also even the big name brands have their low end series products. If the car is small, you should be able to get an 8" inch single sub and a small monoblock amp to run it without burning a big hole in the wallet.

I run a single 8" sub on my truck and it thumps fine to keep me going. Dont really burst the doors out but good enough bass :)

• Like 2

There's no need for aggression like this. So what if he can't afford it? Live and let live. At least he's trying

As for the idea, let me tell you that I've tried to implement this, but it's not worth it. I was 18, and the car was a 1984 Toyota dx. The sub I had bought from my own money and I didn't ask dad to pimp a car for me.

The problems:

You have to mess with the wiring so that the sub can take 12v dc.

Cheap computer subs don't have adequate displacement to shake up a car cabin

You are better off going with a powered sub. A cheap Chinese/Malaysian one for now. It'll cost you anywhere between 8000-10000. But it's so worth the money. Save up and invest in that. Check Sunday classifieds there are ppl who sell used subs too. Even the car audio places stock uses subs.

But I recommend the first option.

The problem with the comp amp system is that generally, the subs are 8ohms. Not very efficient on a car system cos they tend to be 4ohms at the headunit and good aftermarket amps will offer you even 2ohms.

Also using comp audio system means you gotta use the crossover/electronics built into that unit. Meaning you'd have to power it up with an inverter or something instead of being able to use the cars 12v system. Also headunits that offer direct subdrives too wont be able to "communicate" properly with a amplifier designed for computer systems.

If you really want to try it out, i think it's possible. But looking at the hassle involved and not having the ability to really decide how you can get results the way you want...it's just not worth the hassle.

I would snoop around audio installing joints and see whether they've got used subs, amps for sale on the cheap. When i first did a system install at advance, they had some used sub amps, speakers etc for sale with them. Also even the big name brands have their low end series products. If the car is small, you should be able to get an 8" inch single sub and a small monoblock amp to run it without burning a big hole in the wallet.

I run a single 8" sub on my truck and it thumps fine to keep me going. Dont really burst the doors out but good enough bass :)

Hasmax, do you see the replies from other members ? if somone asks something, whether its noobish or not, explain it politely. :)

Edited by kalana
  • Like 2

bought a Malaysian Sub for 8500/=, good sound quality..i can recommend it , anyway if i was you i'll definitely going for a 2nd hand sub, u can easily find one for 4000 - 5000. check sri lankan classified web sites and sunday papers... :D

bought a Malaysian Sub for 8500/=, good sound quality..i can recommend it , anyway if i was you i'll definitely going for a 2nd hand sub, u can easily find one for 4000 - 5000. check sri lankan classified web sites and sunday papers... :D

whats the brand mate ?

well it seems like I have acted in an unacceptable way... I have also realized that it is not a nice comment by me.. I didnt mean to hurt anyone, anyway it is my fault.. I am soo sorry for my mistake guys and dragonfly bro.. ( um running with a low mood thses days anyway.. forget that ) wish u da best for the venture, keep us updated on da progress. cheers poeple :)

• Like 3

well it seems like I have acted in an unacceptable way... I have also realized that it is not a nice comment by me.. I didnt mean to hurt anyone, anyway it is my fault.. I am soo sorry for my mistake guys and dragonfly bro.. ( um running with a low mood thses days anyway.. forget that ) wish u da best for the venture, keep us updated on da progress. cheers poeple :)

Nicely done "hasmax"

cheers bro. you have my respect.

tell us about your ride a little. as someone pointed out, autolanka is full of projects these days... you might just be sitting on one!

It's oki dude... :)

There are some things I need to clarify regarding the thread.

I went to Unity Plaza to buy some stuff and suddenly this idea came to my head as an experiment. It's not that I don't have money to fix a real sub.

Anyway thanks for all the thoughts.

• 5 weeks later...