• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Break Not Work In Hill

amilaart

Question

I owned Toyota starlet ep91 MT and im very new to driving ( 3 wks)

some times with my poor clutch balancing car engine switch off.

but when this happen in hill (with high degree ) car rolling back and this situation it is hard to tackle.

my problem is,

when the situation of Engine switch off in high hill, im try to push break paddle but car not stop rolling back, and it is very hard to push the break paddle. (Some time this happen when switch of when reversing)

But when im driving it is not happen and break work in good condition.

cld you pls explain me is this is normal condition ( because some one say that with engine off, it is not support to breaking system )

thank you

Amila

7 answers to this question

DO NOT SWITCH OFF ENGINE AND TRY TO USE THE BREAKS.

The engine is required to run your breaks, The engine provides the needed power to pressurize the brake oil and so on. I am not explaining in full, the technicality behind this.

If you try to do the way you do now, either you will have an accident and while doing so will injure others and damage property to too.

Edited by varunatech

yes thank you varunatech, hope this is not fault in car, isnt it.

You lucky that you have not gone through an accident so far............and still you are in fear that this is a fault of your car and believe the break should work normal with your engine off. Read some basic info in web about car mechanics. Will help you.

But "NEVER AGAIN DO THIS", also never ever let your car run free in Neutral, when you go down hill or as a smart idea to save some fuel. That is a very BAD idea as well. Hope this helps....................there is something called engine break.........and you need it when you go down hill. Read it from Google.

The engine is required to run your breaks, The engine provides the needed power to pressurize the brake oil and so on. I am not explaining in full, the technicality behind this.

If you try to do the way you do now, either you will have an accident and while doing so will injure others and damage property to too.

Actually its not the brake oil that's pressurized directly. Its the servo that's powered by the vacuum and the slave pump then pressurizes the oil. You should read up on How your Servo Brakes Work

And just for my information can someone clarify this... Till I read this article I was under the impression that the vacuum line came from the alternator..I was once driving when my alternator jammed and I couldnt stop the vehicle as quick as I would have liked cos the brakes were just not sticking...

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Was typing an answer when Watchman's reply popped up, kind of what I wanted to say as well.

amilaart, If you ever wondered how you're able to stop such a huge pile of metal just by the use of your toe on the brake pedal, you'll begin to realize that there is an underlying mechanism to assist you do the job easily. That's what Watchman's link is all about. This underlying system (servo brakes) works only when the engine is running. Therefore there is a significant difference in the pressure that needs to be applied with and without the engine running. This is normal.

Since you're new to driving, I suggest you use the hand brake if your car starts to roll downhill. The hand brake works regardless of whether the engine is running or not.

Actually its not the brake oil that's pressurized directly. Its the servo that's powered by the vacuum and the slave pump then pressurizes the oil. You should read up on How your Servo Brakes Work

And just for my information can someone clarify this... Till I read this article I was under the impression that the vacuum line came from the alternator..I was once driving when my alternator jammed and I couldnt stop the vehicle as quick as I would have liked cos the brakes were just not sticking...

It comes from the intake manifold. I modified the brake system with a servo in my old Lancer and the vacuum line was fixed to the intake manifold. There was even a "tap" on the manifold to connect the line (I assume that the same manifold was used by Mitsubishi on models with servo). I think the system is different on diesels, they have a vacuum pump, not much experience there since I've never owned a diesel. I'm not sure why the brakes stopped working when the alternator got jammed though. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I did not want to go technical, the OP dude seems way out. I do not think he will care a jack shit about how servo brake works. Guy seems to enjoy his day coasting downhill forward and backward. I was rather worried he will break his neck or will break others too :)

Was typing an answer when Watchman's reply popped up, kind of what I wanted to say as well.

amilaart, If you ever wondered how you're able to stop such a huge pile of metal just by the use of your toe on the brake pedal, you'll begin to realize that there is an underlying mechanism to assist you do the job easily. That's what Watchman's link is all about. This underlying system (servo brakes) works only when the engine is running. Therefore there is a significant difference in the pressure that needs to be applied with and without the engine running. This is normal.

Since you're new to driving, I suggest you use the hand brake if your car starts to roll downhill. The hand brake works regardless of whether the engine is running or not.

It comes from the intake manifold. I modified the brake system with a servo in my old Lancer and the vacuum line was fixed to the intake manifold. There was even a "tap" on the manifold to connect the line (I assume that the same manifold was used by Mitsubishi on models with servo). I think the system is different on diesels, they have a vacuum pump, not much experience there since I've never owned a diesel. I'm not sure why the brakes stopped working when the alternator got jammed though. Hope this helps.

Yes manifold vacuum is used........I still thinking how the alternator failure of Watchman caused less braking power, unless he has a vacuum pump on the same drive belt and the belt failed. But usually only Diesels have vacuum pumps ........