• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4Wd Rally Accident

SeanD

A 20-year-old youth was killed during a mishap at a four by four rally in the Ovitiyawatta area in Wennappuwa a short while ago. Police said a cable had broken when a jeep was to be taken out of the track after completing its race.

What's this all about? What was this event?

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/19904-one-killed-in-four-wheel-rally-tragedy.html

[/size][/font][/color]

What's this all about? What was this event?

http://www.dailymirr...ly-tragedy.html

it's the negombo 4x4 event. looks like a tow cable broke while a jeep was been pulled out.

despite officials warning people not to get too close, loads of spectators who dont really understand the danger gets a little too close.

A steel cable at such high tensions breaking alone is pretty dangerous.

But in this case, looks like the tow vehicle was pulling out a jeep without using the winch and once the cable broke...it just ran into spectators.

With respect to the dead, I think that the idiot who turned the body around needs to be punched in the face. The first thing you do when you see a body on the ground isn't toss it around.

That boy was alive that time. Succumbed to injuries few hours after at Gen Hospital Colombo.

MINIACE

really sad news.

I hope marshals and spectators learn from this incident

+ 1 on that they should be more strict with the our ppl going to check on things upclose..plus this should be an eye opener for checking safety issues with the equipment they run

hindsight is always 20/20

I guess you’re right. Just read the Dinamina article; Who on earth would have thought that the chassis of the truck would come off? To the victims it might have felt safe at the time. It's just unfortunate.

I guess you’re right. Just read the Dinamina article; Who on earth would have thought that the chassis of the truck would come off? To the victims it might have felt safe at the time. It's just unfortunate.

was it the chassis breaking apart of low quality rear towing bumper coming apart?

I was wondering the same thing. The Dinamina news article says that it was the chassis; had a good look at the photo, and you're right - it's the bumper.

Im in the process of hooking up the tow hook to my rear towing bumper. But found out the stock towing bumper is rated only for 2000lbs. Which is not even the weight of the truck. I suppose some people go beyond recommended ratings :(

Seen this????:

http://www.adaderana.lk/news.php?nid=18656

So there it is, the recovery vehicle - with a snatch-strap looking like it's going over the crest of the bund - and it was going to attempt to "lift" the other vehicle up and out of it's hole. And it's not obvious whether it's a straight pull or not - but the load on (and stored) in the snatch strap would be phenomenal consisting of the bogged vehicle+the incline+the effect of the crest+the possibility of an angled tow. So what happens, The tow bar on the bogged vehicle rips out and the stress loaded in the snatch-strap does the rest.

The question in my mind is "what the fug did they think they were doing?"........not even a recovery drag draped over the strap, let alone any indication of a knowledge of recovery analysis/technique. And as for allowing folk to crowd around a recovery site!!!!

The coroner is likely to have a field day on this one.

Seen this????:

http://www.adaderana...s.php?nid=18656

So there it is, the recovery vehicle - with a snatch-strap looking like it's going over the crest of the bund - and it was going to attempt to "lift" the other vehicle up and out of it's hole. And it's not obvious whether it's a straight pull or not - but the load on (and stored) in the snatch strap would be phenomenal consisting of the bogged vehicle+the incline+the effect of the crest+the possibility of an angled tow. So what happens, The tow bar on the bogged vehicle rips out and the stress loaded in the snatch-strap does the rest.

The question in my mind is "what the fug did they think they were doing?"........not even a recovery drag draped over the strap, let alone any indication of a knowledge of recovery analysis/technique. And as for allowing folk to crowd around a recovery site!!!!

The coroner is likely to have a field day on this one.

the 4x4 events organized by another club tend to ensure people get disqualified if they start to winch without using proper anchoring/equipment and dampening material on the tow cable. i've seen this happening first hand in watersedge.