• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electro Plating Plastics

NZer

Members,

This I got from the web Electroplating plastic.

Plating Process

The general process is as follows:

Etching – The part is immersed in a tank containing concentrated chromic and sulphuric acid. This produces small holes on the surface of the part which will then hold small metallic particles.

Neutralising – The part is then immersed in an alkaline solution to neutralise the etching acids.

Catalysing – A catalytic film is put on the surface to prepare for electroless metal plating.

Acceleration – This bath removes all the chemicals that remain and accelerates the catalysing film.

Electroless Plating – A thin deposit of nickel or copper is deposited on the plastic part.

chrome%20shower.jpgElectro-Plating – A negative charge is applied to the part which is then dipped into a positively charged solution of the metal it is to be plated with. The positively charged metallic ions are attracted to the negatively charged part and then revert back to their metallic form. The part is removed from the solution and allowed to cool.

The most frequently used metals are chrome, nickel or gold. Applications include lamp reflectors, automotive interior and exterior parts (such as door handles), trims for dashboards, audio and video equipment, lightweight shower heads. Electroless plating may be used for cosmetics packaging, mobile phones, connector housings and shower heads.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Can't electroplate non-conductive materials. Nope.

well there is a guy that does it. Basically you need to embed something link zinc or nickel particles, can't remember the exact process. Sent a plastic hood trim piece of mine in but it was a little too long for the machine. They did have the capability of doing smaller pieces like lights and mirrors.

Edited by jdnet

well there is a guy that does it. Basically you need to embed something link zinc or nickel particles, can't remember the exact process. Sent a plastic hood trim piece of mine in but it was a little too long for the machine. They did have the capability of doing smaller pieces like lights and mirrors.

jdnet do u remember where this guy is please?

Found this place thanks to MasterDon and guys did a superb job at reasonable prices. Back then they had a machine which is capable of doing chrome on plastics. Later heard that machine is not working or s'thing but better give him a call and check.

Jeyadan electro platers

717 757 547

Found this place thanks to MasterDon and guys did a superb job at reasonable prices. Back then they had a machine which is capable of doing chrome on plastics. Later heard that machine is not working or s'thing but better give him a call and check.

Jeyadan electro platers

717 757 547

Thanks machan for the contact but apparently they have sold their machine ages ago.

Jeyadan electro platers

717 757 547

Harshan he sold the machine to a guy called prassana in kalapaluawa rajagiriya. So it's now this guy that's doing the work.

thanks for the update JD. Have you got any work done from the new guy?

well as I said before I did take in a hood trim to get re-chromed but it was too long to fit his machines. I do have a few things I'll be taking in soon so I'll let you know how that goes.

So do u know his contact number please?

Sorry, I generally don't help people who send me threatening PMs. I specially won't refer them over to someone I know since if you pulled the same stunt on him that you did on me, it would reflect badly on me since I recommended you.

Sorry, I generally don't help people who send me threatening PMs. I specially won't refer them over to someone I know since if you pulled the same stunt on him that you did on me, it would reflect badly on me since I recommended you.

ok no worries mate

Hi does anyone know where i can get plastic electro plated? Thanks heaps guys

one place at maligawatte, near by the maligawatta hospital.......... on jayantha weerasekara mw

once you pass all those mator cycle spare parts shops, you will find it

they are capable of doing it for a large piece of plastic even

Edited by priyanka

one place at maligawatte, near by the maligawatta hospital.......... on jayantha weerasekara mw

once you pass all those mator cycle spare parts shops, you will find it

they are capable of doing it for a large piece of plastic even

Thanks heaps machan