• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can't Start When The Engine Is Hot

GKWKK

Question

Dear Memebers

Can some one help me to understand the this issue please. Since last 02 weeks it's very hard (SOme times Can't start at all) to start my car after few Km. Also engine is jerking while it runs on the way this problem crops up after the carbrator clean up.

I did the eco test yesterday, Suprisigly it got trough in the first attempt.

to get the starting and jerking issue sorted I took the vehicle to a mechanic. He told me that carbrator is in good shape with the tune up also. Advice me to go for a ring set replacement or a engine overhall to overcome this starting issue. According to him engine pressure drops when engine is hot, as a result of that starting is difficult. Only way to start the car a push for last couple of day.

Can you please advice me what to do...I cant find or think a solution for this. I'm scared to use this vehicle now. Also I'm not in a position to change this vehicle for next 06 month period too..

:sport-smiley-027:

01. What could be the cause of the issue?

02. Will ring replacement will solve a problem expending 18K ?

03. Can this happen due to a petrol flooding?

Edited by GKWKK

12 answers to this question

'GKWKK',

According to your post as for my knowledge I don't think that it is necessary you have to change rings. As the VVTi's post says get your Self-starter motor removed by a good electrician and get same overhauled. Check battery earth to the Engine.Go to a battery service station who has facility to to a load test on the battery. Very few battery stations have the load testing facility.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

I think the culprit is the carburetor.

The symptoms are more like of a situation Called 'Heat soak'. This is common to carb engines.

Try following steps, Crank the engine 5-6 seconds without pressing the gas pedal, then very gently press the pedal one third , surely engine will fire up and may run rough for about 10 secs.

Try this and see ,should work and will tell you the adjustments to cure the issue.

Good luck mate!

MINIACE

I think the culprit is the carburetor.

The symptoms are more like of a situation Called 'Heat soak'. This is common to carb engines.

Try following steps, Crank the engine 5-6 seconds without pressing the gas pedal, then very gently press the pedal one third , surely engine will fire up and may run rough for about 10 secs.

Try this and see ,should work and will tell you the adjustments to cure the issue.

Good luck mate!

MINIACE

Hi MINIACE

Yes at times it's sucsessful needs to crank 10-12 seconds, When I press the pedal it's start to fire roughly. But tha't also failed last few days.need a push to reshart

When the engine is cool it's start once, When Engine runs about 10-15 Km start to jerk. Have to press pedal hard to move the car. If engine stops not easy to start it again.

this is my first vehicle I've fed up now.

Why did you repair the carb? Is it due to failed emission test or to improve the kmpl figure? If first is the reason what were the results(low rpm or high rpm faliure)

I did repair as precaution but he made a mess of it. I could have done the emision test without carb repair

I have the same issue. But it comes randomly. Sometimes I'm able to start her even when the engine is hot. But sometimes when engine hot, have to press the gas pedal a bit to start then the engine will run very low for couple of seconds and come back to normal speed. In cold starts it always starts fine.

Edited by hrm

GKWKK, as I mentioned , your situation is what is commonly known as 'Heat soak' of carb engines. This is caused by serious volatility of fuel due to bad carb repair or wrong fuel line routing (fixed closer to exhaust manifolds or something).

Once the engine is sut down ,the latent heat percolates the fuel from carb, fuel lines and maybe the filter, this causes a rich mixture for the next start up or maybe a vapor lock situation in fuel path.

Not a big issue, you can try the starting method I suggested ,It should work and visit a good carb technician soon for a permanent solution.

Good luck!

MINIACE

• Like 1

GKWKK, as I mentioned , your situation is what is commonly known as 'Heat soak' of carb engines. This is caused by serious volatility of fuel due to bad carb repair or wrong fuel line routing (fixed closer to exhaust manifolds or something).

Once the engine is sut down ,the latent heat percolates the fuel from carb, fuel lines and maybe the filter, this causes a rich mixture for the next start up or maybe a vapor lock situation in fuel path.

Not a big issue, you can try the starting method I suggested ,It should work and visit a good carb technician soon for a permanent solution.

Good luck!

MINIACE

Thank you for your thoughts fortunatly engine ran continuously until I came back home today. But Engine jerks is still occuring, I have keep accelarator pedal joggling to move the vechicle (Can't hold at a constant level).

Can this be a ignition/ Ignition coil problem too ?

Thank you for your thoughts fortunatly engine ran continuously until I came back home today. But Engine jerks is still occuring, I have keep accelarator pedal joggling to move the vechicle (Can't hold at a constant level).

Can this be a ignition/ Ignition coil problem too ?

As all of your troubles started after the carb repair , i think your mechanic has ruined your carb :sad-smiley-050: . He may have changed carb fuel jets with smaller ones explains the stalling . You need to visit a proper machanic befor changing any parts related to ignition system.

I do not really understand how some of these mechanics stay in business. Engine pressure drops when the engine is hot??? Ok I can understand the expansion due to heat may cause some issues in a worn out engine and weaken the seal between the sleeve and piston ring, but the heat should compensate for that when igniting fuel. I mean under compression engines have issues starting cold usually not starting warm!

I think miniaces suggestion is the only one that makes sense at the moment. You get a rough engine and knocking when the engine overheats as well but this does not quite sound like that either.

Yesterday I took my vehicle to another mechanic, He checked ignition system & the fuel lines. He found that one of retrun fuel line from the petrol pump to tank was blocked. After the test run he also found that excessive fuel flow to carbrator causing engine knock & flooding. Once the car stoped during the test run he disconnected the fuel line to the fuel pump & cranked the engine while pressing the accelarator pedal fully. It was sucsessfull to restart.

Now he is doing the repair works, hopefully I'll get the vehicle back today.