• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine First Or Paint And Interior First? Good Garages?

dushanf

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing good and getting ready for the weekend... :-)

I have some queries and hope you will be able to help me spending little bit of your valuable time.

Well, I have a Lancer CK1 and there are few things I have to get done.

1.Engine overhaul

2.New Paint job

3.Replace windscreen

4.Interior (Seats and some repairs on dashboard)

5.New audio system

6.New alloys

7.A spoiler and some side skirts

Also I want to make sure that mechanically it sounds good (check steering universal joints, rack, suspension etc) so I was wondering if there are any good garages out there that will draw a more personal attention to my vehicle with good mechanics than fixing reported faults and bill on spent hours with few juniors who will make use of the opportunity to practice their skills. If I can get hold of mechanics who are experts in Mitsubishi vehicles (Lancers) it will be great as I am looking for a full vehicle checkup stripping down most of the parts, tightening the loosen ones that make noise and overhauling the engine.

And there is a small crack in the dashboard because of the heat and some vent covers that draws air in (ac & fan) have broken. Any idea where I can fix these?

My other concern was to whether to get it painted first or do the mechanical stuff first.

Appreciate your help on this very much for me and for others who are in need of the same information.

Best Regards,

Dush

Dush,

First of all get your engine, suspension, Brake, Electrical system attended do a good run after that and later you can do all other things.

As the previous post by member Terrabytetango says. A mechanically sound car is always better than one which only looks good.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

it might be cheaper and less time consuming for you to get a new vehicle in decent condition..and from the description you have given it looks like a writeoff your trying to get back into shape...

Agree with terra and Sylvi. If I were to re-order your list, it would be:

Engine overhaul first! If you have to leave the car at the mechanic for some time, it may give you time to get the engine bay cleaned up or re-painted. Only the engine bay though.

When the engine is being re-installed, you can install the new suspension components as well. CV joints, boots and shocks etc. since most of them will be removed anyway.

Next, go for the alloys and tyres, make sure you do wheel balancing and alignment since suspension and rims are new. Your car should be in a mechanically sound state now.

If the extent of the paint job is severe (meaning, if you’re planning to strip down the interior of the car for the paint job), I think the best would be to avoid interior repairs and audio installation until after the paint job (I would leave it for the end). Get the windscreen, side skirts and stuff and get the car painted (installing the new windscreen and the skirts).

You can do the upholstery, dashboard repairs and audio installation at the very end.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

it might be cheaper and less time consuming for you to get a new vehicle in decent condition..and from the description you have given it looks like a writeoff your trying to get back into shape...

+1

Well... an overhaul and a paintjob will cost you a fortune.

It would be worthy starting from the engine if you try to keep the thing with you:)

An Electro mechanically sound car............

But popular folklore is to do paint jobs, I cannot fathom their thinking pattern. I have seen buys only worried about the paint job and body condition, and does not give a damn shit about the engine or suspension.........

Edited by varunatech