• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Disk Brake Wheels Are Dragging

bpcd

Question

Hi Friends I have a Nissan Vanette van YOM is 1990 recently I replace the disk pads since then front wheels are dragging disks are getting worm after 2 km I cleaned the callipers several time, check the hose all fine. is it bad pad or any other problem ex.master cylinder etc advice are appriciated. need more power to pull than before

BPC

Edited by bpcd

23 answers to this question

Thank you Sylvi, I forget to mention this is a petrol engine. BPC

Yes mine was also petrol engine 2 vans. Check for tandem master cylinder do you have on your van.

You say no block of brake fluid on the front hoses. So you check if the oil returns back to the cylinders.

That is one reason to brake pads get wasted if calipers are ok. Examine the caliper fittings are clean so that pistons will go back easily.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

let's not get mislead by the above post first. Tandem master cylinder is nothing but a one with two pistons, primary pressed by the booster/pedal and secondary gets pressed by the first. That can handel two different circuits, if one gets leaky, the other circuit will continue to operate. The cylinder Sylvi mentioned is the brake propotionate valve which adjust the rear/front braking balance according to the payload of the vehicle. Don't just remove it, you'll pay the price if you're to stop with a heavy load on your back.

back to OPs issue.

You tend to get light brake binds and heated up wheel rims for about first 100 to 200kms after a frontal brake pad change. However, if it's severe brake bind, which cause the wheels to lock and drag, that's not nomal under any circumstances. it can be due to one of few reasons given below.

1. You have used wrong pads with an incorrect thickness or locally repaired ones

2. Piston travel is not adequeate.

Piston and the cylinder gets "used" to a particular travel distance once the pads worn out. The rest of the surface of the piston/cylinder gets some rust since that area is not being used/rubbed frequently. Make sure you or your mechanic remove this rust and make the surface even. Observe piston travel when you press the brake pedals and use a C clamp or lever to press the piston back to see whether it travels back without any histation.

3. Pads usually retained aligned properly by some tentionned metal clips. Lack of these can misalign the pads creating partially stuck pads.

• Like 2

Thank you Sylvi, this is a vx model. not yet check the tandem master cylinder i haven`t seen such a thing as I remember. I blowed from one side to other to check for block of hoses and return, is it a good method to check it. I must say i am not an experience auto tech but I do miner things. BPC

Thank you harshan,I agree with you shouldn't remove it. pads wer not localy repaired, thikness may slidly differ piston is travelling smoothlyI cleaned it properly.I checked the number 3 pads are hanging and moving smoothly.

BPC

harshansenadhir,

You are correct as what on your post. I agree to your post, had a problem on mine then washers were not available for same.

Only alternative to remove that and connect directly. I used to carry heavy loads, never drive more than 50 Kilometers with heavy loads.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

let's not get mislead by the above post first. Tandem master cylinder is nothing but a one with two pistons, primary pressed by the booster/pedal and secondary gets pressed by the first. That can handel two different circuits, if one gets leaky, the other circuit will continue to operate. The cylinder Sylvi mentioned is the brake propotionate valve which adjust the rear/front braking balance according to the payload of the vehicle. Don't just remove it, you'll pay the price if you're to stop with a heavy load on your back.

Giving dangerous advice to people?

that doesn't sound like sylvi at all.....

• Like 1

if you doubt the thickness of the pads, I rekon, removing a layer off from the pads.

their are enough room even for thicker pad. no record about original thicknesses. until you press the paddel wheels turns freely. Edited by bpcd

ha ha give the ole man a break ... knowing he gives those makabass type advises. This time to make it worse, the proportionate valve has nothing to do with a front wheel brake bind ;)

harshansenadhir,

It is regrettable to note your post to state by you I explained my experience in a vehicle I had and on my next post I have endorse you are correct ( knowing he gives those makabass type advises).

When parts are not available to jack up the vehicle till new parts come. No motorists want to keep a vehicle idling wants to run the vehicle some innovative way.

In my vehicle brake fluid was not returning back due to some parts of tandem master cylinder failure. So I was compelled to do that modification.

When I removed the brake line caring fluid to Tandem cylinder end brake pads came back,after care full checking I removed the said cylinder.

I have been in my entire life doing technical studies in many parts of the world.

Started in UK 1960, JAPAN 1975, and ENDED UP IN USA 1988 to 1992 PIONEERING A AUTOMOBILE SRVICE TO SRILANKA.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

It is regrettable to note your post to state by you I explained my experience in a vehicle I had and on my next post I have endorse you are correct

WTF does this even mean?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like

Also, sylvi, Just because you have a x amount of experience and you are old, it does not make you smarter than everyone else in the world. I think you need to learn a little something about humility and stop trying to act like you know more than everyone else and defend your ridiculous ideas.

Do you think the manufacturer of the van decided to add extra, useless parts onto the van just because they felt like it? If you are as smart as you make yourself out to be, you would be designing cars for Bugatti instead of giving out makabaas advice. Seriously, google the word 'Humility' and what it means to have some.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 3

harshansenadhir,

It is regrettable to note your post to state by you I explained my experience in a vehicle I had and on my next post I have endorse you are correct ( knowing he gives those makabass type advises).

When parts are not available to jack up the vehicle till new parts come. No motorists want to keep a vehicle idling wants to run the vehicle some innovative way.

In my vehicle brake fluid was not returning back due to some parts of tandem master cylinder failure. So I was compelled to do that modification.

When I removed the brake line caring fluid to Tandem cylinder end brake pads came back,after care full checking I removed the said cylinder.

I have been in my entire life doing technical studies in many parts of the world.

Started in UK 1960, JAPAN 1975, and ENDED UP IN USA 1988 to 1992 PIONEERING A AUTOMOBILE SRVICE TO SRILANKA.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Removing original components came with a vehicle as part of the design (removing thermostat valve etc) are known as makabass type of advises and this too goes on the same lines plus you have been giving such advises in this forum. Read my first post carefully, no nitpicking, no personal attacks, the second one which was addressing JDnet asking to leave you alone without making fun out of you knowing the way you are and that's somewhat accepted in this forum (rather we have learnt to tolerate) BUT, giving harmful advises is something WE CANNOT tolerate, hence I've been correcting. There's nothing for you to regret as I was critisizing your advises, not you. Learn to accept critisizm.

now on the topic :

1. If you have compelled to remove the propotionate valve due to an exceptional reason, don't just advise someone to do it.

2. there's no relationship to the OPs issue (with front disk brakes) with brake propotionate valve

3. Even in this post you have incorrectly referred to the propotionate valve as tandem master cylinder. Please use correct terms as some newbie might pick these up and use elsewhere.

Personal advise: don't just jump into respond to someone with something you have done which is remotely related to (or not related at all) the problem / issue.

• Like 1

harshansenadhir,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

1- Bullshit. I would rather keep my vehicle at home and take the bus than drive it without properly functioning brakes! Geez! And yes, innovative/idiotic ideas can get a lot of people in a lot of trouble. Remember the innovative fool (like you) who drove a Maruti omni (like you) and instead of using the vehicle's petrol tank use a barrel of petrol as a fuel tank which led to the vehicle exploding and his entire family burning to death because of his ''innovativeness'?

2- If you're so smart and educated and 'pioneer' how come you havent been able to make all that into a thriving business? The truth is you're just living off your family inheritance, and you have the colonial "haamu" attitude and think everyone should listen to you.

• Like 1

Members,

Opinions can differ from person to person. My posts say what I have done and there were no after repercussions from all what I have done. It is left the members to do it or not.criticize on this forum is a common thing among few members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Members,

Opinions can differ from person to person. My posts say what I have done and there were no after repercussions from all what I have done. It is left the members to do it or not.criticize on this forum is a common thing among few members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Opinions can differ but FACTS cannot. If you say "I think your car looks nicer in green than red" that's an opinion. If you say "remove the fan-belt when driving in the rain", or "Remove your brake hoses and the vehicle will still be safe to drive" that's fact.

Please go revise your knowledge and experience on your queen's english, in this particular case the word "opinion"

• Like 1

Members,

Sylvi Wijesinghe

I don't think anybody would give a rats a$$ to what you have done, if it's not properly done. Misleading public or other members without much knowledge and wiping your hands off saying "it's up to them to do or not" sort of is not acceptable in this community.

Do us a favor Mr. Sylvester, stop giving crappy advises to other members and history lessons and more importantly, stop blowing your own trumpet when all of above fail.

• Like 3

their are enough room even for thicker pad. no record about original thicknesses. until you press the paddel wheels turns freely.

If I were you, would try to remove a tiny layer off from the pads and see. It's being done when the thickness of the pads is not certain (substandard brake pads) and piston does not travel back sufficiently.

Check your caliper pins. I changed the front discs and the pads in the Forester yesterday and found the caliper pins needed cleaning and regreasing. Before that I had uneven brake wear and a bit of binding. Now it should be ok. Haven't taken it on a long enough journey to really test the heating.

If the pins are stuck the pads will not return after you release the brake pedal.