• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic Es Or Ek?

chamath1

Question

Hi everyone this is my first forum post and it's reguarding my very own first car :)

When I was a teenager I had the luxury of riding Mitsubishi Pajero (1989), L200, Lancer Box, Nissan N16, Doctor Sunny, Bluebird (Diesel), Peugeot 406,407, Freelander and none of them gave me the beautiful experience of riding a 1995 Vtec Honda Civic Ex (EG) car. I almost learned all the driving tactics on Sri Lankan roads on this vehicle as my father owned it. I loved it's unique balance between horsepower and fuel consumption which was 15kmpl within Kandy city roads. I dreamt of having it for a lifetime but my dad had to sell it as he needed a four wheel for his travels.

Years later I saw the same car in bits and pieces in a garage as the second owner had tried to modify the vehicle in a very cheap form and then met with a major accident and the vehicle had to be sold for parts. I never felt so sad for machine like that before, and here I am now trying to get a same car just to revive my wild and free good times by buying a Civic to myself :)

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series?

My aspects for a good car is:

1. Fuel Consumption (>12 within city limits, >15 on highway)

2. Price < 2.2 Million

3. Low maintennance cost

4. Vtec engine HP>100

5. Sporty Look (optional)

When it comes to fuel efficiency , I heard that Lancer CVT has a good kmpl count (15-18KMPL) but didn't go for it because of the memories I had with a Civic and when it comes to looks Civic wins.

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series. Which one is the best when t comes to my requirement ?

With your budget (2. Price < 2.2 Million) i dnt think you can go for a ES (correct me if i'm wrong). Also i dnt think you can archive (3. Low maintenance cost) either b'cos Honda parts are slightly expensive but reliable.

​I do believe there are many posts with in AL you can go through and grab all the Honda experts views. And not to mention though EG8's are old i have some friends who own EG8's and still running strong.

Cheers,

KMeeg.

Hi everyone this is my first forum post and it's reguarding my very own first car :)

When I was a teenager I had the luxury of riding Mitsubishi Pajero (1989), L200, Lancer Box, Nissan N16, Doctor Sunny, Bluebird (Diesel), Peugeot 406,407, Freelander and none of them gave me the beautiful experience of riding a 1995 Vtec Honda Civic Ex (EG) car. I almost learned all the driving tactics on Sri Lankan roads on this vehicle as my father owned it. I loved it's unique balance between horsepower and fuel consumption which was 15kmpl within Kandy city roads. I dreamt of having it for a lifetime but my dad had to sell it as he needed a four wheel for his travels.

Years later I saw the same car in bits and pieces in a garage as the second owner had tried to modify the vehicle in a very cheap form and then met with a major accident and the vehicle had to be sold for parts. I never felt so sad for machine like that before, and here I am now trying to get a same car just to revive my wild and free good times by buying a Civic to myself :)

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series?

2. Price < 2.2 Million

3. Low maintennance cost

4. Vtec engine HP>100

When it comes to fuel efficiency , I heard that Lancer CVT has a good kmpl count (15-18KMPL) but didn't go for it because of the memories I had with a Civic and when it comes to looks Civic wins.

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series. Which one is the best when t comes to my requirement ?

So you drove both a Peugeot 406 and a 407 and you think an non Vtec Civic EG is a "Beautiful experience"

Clearly you have NO IDEA what you are on about when it comes to cars... One question, did you err... "Ride" these cars while you were awake?

Anyyyway.. to answer your question, first off if you want 12 Km/l in the city you'll probably have to buy a Vitz, that'll cover the low maintenance cost as well.

If you want something that gives you the err... "Beautiful" experience then maybe this will fit the bill

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=85541

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. kmeeg, I nearly went through all of Civic ads available in AL and I've got my eye on a few of them but I'm in a confused stage if I should go for EK and ES series. There are some ESses for sale for almost 2.2M. I really like it's interier but not the external appearance. The EKs however has a really sporty look, decent fuel efficiency and pricewise they all are within my budget.

Komisiripala, teg is a nice car but I dont think it's not as fuel efficient as Civic and since the vehicle is not very common I dont think it's gonna be easy with finding and replacing parts.

Supra_Natural, no offence friend but we did find driving a 407 a horrible experience for a luxuary car, it was the first batch that came to SL, bought from Car Mart at that time and it was quite a looker but horrible vehicle. The vehicle clearance was so low that we could hear hitting on bumps and made sounds after that, the AC filter had to be replaced once every three months and it cost like hell, my mom got back pains and thats where we had to get rid of it plus when it comes to climbing, the vehicle had barely enough pulling power to carry two ppl on and we had to push the vehicle as it was clibing ambuluwawa. 406 was not that horrible but it was quite a dissapointment comparing to the 605 we once had.

Back to the point :)

Can someone plz tell me when it comes to robustness and fuel efficiency, is ES or the EK series the best?

Edited by chamath1

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. kmeeg, I nearly went through all of Civic ads available in AL and I've got my eye on a few of them but I'm in a confused stage if I should go for EK and ES series. There are some ESses for sale for almost 2.2M. I really like it's interier but not the external appearance. The EKs however has a really sporty look, good fuel economy decent fuel efficiency and pricewise they all are within my budget.

Komisiripala, teg is a nice car but I dont think it's not as fuel efficient as Civic and since the vehicle is not very common I dont think it's gonna be easy with finding and replacing parts.

Supra_Natural, no offence friend but we did find driving a 407 a horrible experience for a luxuary car, it was the first batch that came to SL, bought from Car Mart at that time and it was quite a looker but horrible vehicle. The vehicle clearance was so low that we could hear hitting on bumps and made sounds after that, the AC filter had to be replaced once every three months and it cost like hell, my mom got back pains and thats where we had to get rid of it plus the vehicle had barely enough pulling power to carry two ppl on and we had to push the vehicle as it was clibing ambuluwawa. 406 was not that horrible but it was quite a dissapointment comparing to the 605 we once had.

Back to the point :)

Can someone plz tell me when it comes to robustness and fuel efficiency, is ES or the EK series the best?

Well clearly neither you nor your family have the first clue when it comes to how to use a car.... Peugeots are not meant to be used like Pajeros, did no one ever tell you that?

Anyway, as you say, back to the point, did you take the trouble to read the rest of my post? First of all about your expected fuel figures?

Assuming you did, I think the car in the link I posted should do well for you... It's a pretty rare version of the EK and should be very nice to drive.

Both the ES and EK are just about equal when it comes to robustness and economy although 2.2 Million is the low end of the ES price bracket and you probably won't find the best cars for that money. In contrast you can find the very best EK's for around 1.8-2.0 mill or a bit more for sportier specs like the Si, ViRS etc.

Of course the ES will be slightly newer but if you can find a well maintained EK with a history of caring owners I think you should be sorted.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Well, if you shold know what the situation was: it was the opening ceromony of Ambuluwawa and while vehicles like Audi, FB 13s were nicely climbing we were embarased pushing the vechicle just to reach the top. It was that bad. We did most trips within Kandy. Lets stop arguing and ge to the point.

I previosly forgot to mention that I already contacted yesterday to the guy who owns the car on that link. The vehicle is very much sporty, factory fitted racing gear but the fuel consuption was only 9-10Kmpl. The level of fuel consumtion I need as I have mentioned in the first place is 12kmpl within city limits and greater than 15kmpl on the highway.

I don't know about ES, but I do own a Manual EK3 and you won't get 12 KM/L in city driving in a Honda unless it's a Hybrid. Mine does 10 KM/L. Spare parts are freely available and I don't use the term expensive for the spares. of-cause they are expensive if you're buying them through agent.

Well, if you shold know what the situation was: it was the opening ceromony of Ambuluwawa and while vehicles like Audi, FB 13s were nicely climbing we were embarased pushing the vechicle just to reach the top. It was that bad. We did most trips within Kandy. Lets stop arguing and ge to the point.

I previosly forgot to mention that I already contacted yesterday to the guy who owns the car on that link. The vehicle is very much sporty, factory fitted racing gear but the fuel consuption was only 9-10Kmpl. The level of fuel consumtion I need as I have mentioned in the first place is 12kmpl within city limits and greater than 15kmpl on the highway.

I had a EK3 manual exi and did average 10 km\/Lt in Colombo and outsration It did 12 Km/Lt. I had a es1 too and had the same fuel figures. If I were you I go for a ek since I feel ek is better in driving on our non carpetted road .

Then you did not know how to drive, or there was something seriously wrong with your particular 407, probably because it was maintained like a Pajero or something..

Anyway regardless, if you actually READ my first reply

Anyyyway.. to answer your question, first off if you want 12 Km/l in the city you'll probably have to buy a Vitz, that'll cover the low maintenance cost as well.

you would have seen that it was clearly mentioned that your required fuel figures would only likely be delivered by a vitz or something similar... The very best you can expect out of a civic in the city (ANY civic) is a maximum of about 11 if you drive like a granddad. Since you apparently use "all the driving tactics" that you have "Learned", you probably do not drive like one. Hence, if 12Km/l in the city is important to you, then you should not be buying a Civic...

I hope that's clear enough for you. I dont see how it could be made any clearer

Why do I see this as a root for a "yo mama's so fat..." joke? :P

• Like 2

Chamath1, mine does 10-11 in city and 14.5 on highway and long distance. (Manual)This is with careful driving and with couple of floors this will get reduced, and honestly thats where the civic fun comes in.

As I know, EK also does similar in City, but in outstation you can achieve around 15.5 with careful driving. One of my friend did in his manual EK3.

So yes, as my calculations ES is slightly high FC.

2. Price < 2.2 Million

3. Low maintennance cost

4. Vtec engine HP>100

go for a ek series over es series try a ek3 vi si or vi-rs the reason i tell you to buy a ek series is this because you are looking for beautiful riding experience. the ek series and eg series comes with double wishbone suspension so the handling is very good but the es comes with macPherson strut so the handling is not good like in ek and eg the only advantages of es series have are it's new than ek and it's spacious other than that there is no real advantage to choose a es series over ek and if you drive very carefully max you can get is 11kmpl in city but that would be pointless no by driving like that you can't get that beautiful experience of riding you are looking for dude.

Then you did not know how to drive, or there was something seriously wrong with your particular 407, probably because it was maintained like a Pajero or something..

Anyway regardless, if you actually READ my first reply

you would have seen that it was clearly mentioned that your required fuel figures would only likely be delivered by a vitz or something similar... The very best you can expect out of a civic in the city (ANY civic) is a maximum of about 11 if you drive like a granddad. Since you apparently use "all the driving tactics" that you have "Learned", you probably do not drive like one. Hence, if 12Km/l in the city is important to you, then you should not be buying a Civic...

I hope that's clear enough for you. I dont see how it could be made any clearer

Hi

I think Honda Fit Aria is good for your expectation. Pls refer to the following link

http://autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=87438

Pls comment on this car... Fuel efficency and maintenace cost....

i get 12 kmpl in city (95 oct/Negombo Road) with 4" loud exhaust and wider tires...and mostly i wake-up late and reach office in time...thats possible when VTEC comes in to action...

now dont come to me for kmpl figures...my car is not for sale... :)

Apart from criticisers on this thread, absolute CIVIC owners speaks of experience and it's reality :)

TheClutch you're a bit like me bro. You get it... They DO work almost 12kmpl within city limits as long as the vehicle was properly maintained and tuned. I developed this "Thing" for Civics because of the same passion lol I too need these wheels to reach to work on time :D

Manoj 123 thanks a lot for sharing that link. It is a very economical vehicle but still it doesn't meet my budget (2.2M) plus my girl would give me a "WTF is that" look at it's first sight. I hope you get it :)

Nexus you gave me the precise answer I needed thanks bunch.

Razordj thanks a lot for the honest details provided.

Yesterday I got to drive an EK3 EFi. The vehicle was extremely spacious inside and the pulling power was INSANE. The owner told me that it does 12kmpl as he travels between Rathmalana and Kollpity on the Galle road and does almost 14-15 on the highway. The vehicle was equpipeed with a sporty muffler so if I get to replace it with the stock, I think I might be able to improve the fuel efficiency. Can someone plz tell me if a Vtec engine or a basic non-Vtec EFi would be much fuel efficient?

Edited by chamath1

Manoj 123 thanks a lot for sharing that link. It is a very economical vehicle but still it doesn't meet my budget (2.2M) plus my girl would give me a "WTF is that" look at it's first sight. I hope you get it :)

So you need to get a fancy car to impress your girl eh?

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Yesterday I got to drive an EK3 EFi. The vehicle was extremely spacious inside and the pulling power was INSANE. The owner told me that it does 12kmpl as he travels between Rathmalana and Kollpity on the Galle road and does almost 14-15 on the highway. The vehicle was equpipeed with a sporty muffler so if I get to replace it with the stock, I think I might be able to improve the fuel efficiency. Can someone plz tell me if a Vtec engine or a basic non-Vtec EFi would be much fuel efficient?

The pulling power was "INSANE" on a normal ek3 he says... yup... point proven pretty well methinks.

Small note, don't always believe the owner's fuel consumption figures (especially true if you're going to buy his car)

Edited by Supra_Natural

Small note, don't always believe the owner's fuel consumption figures (especially true if you're going to buy his car)

I totally agree with you on that. But then again there isn't any other way to figure out its consumption right?

But looking at what Razordj has mentioned, there is a 50% chance that the seller told me the truth. I;m not sure but assume if I went for a EK that does 12kmpl on highway. Is it still possible if the engine can be tuned to give a 15kmpl efficiency on the highway?

If you are going for a Civic EK3, go for a late model VTi with CVT. Had one for 2 years, 2000 Vti with CVT.

I am sorry, I would not call that car having INSANE pulling power. It did it's job. It has the same pulling power as any NA 1.5 litre engine. INSANE pulling power is relative.

Mine did around 10Kmpl, that was Negombo-Nittambuwa on a daily basis, early morning and late evening drive with a few overtaking about generally a leisurely drive. I pumped a full tank every 4 days and the daily commute was roughly 100Kms both ways. Do the math.

That was it. Sorry machang, if anyone says it does more, then they are lying. You might get 11 if you run without AC and on a straight flat road, maintaining around 70KMPH.

• Like 1

I must be behind on the times. Since when was the Negombo Road considered "City" driving? I mean, I know that there is traffic during office rush, but thats not the criteria for "city" driving, is it?

yeah macho...not much traffic..but it takes 40mins in avg traffic and sometime 1hr for 22kms....

try to find a one comes with vtec engine it's more more fuel efficient than non vtec engine one and vtec one have more power than non vtec one.

Edited by nexus

i think that there was something seriously wrong with your car pal.

I drove one of my friends 407 HDI diesel For about a two weeks. Got to tell you it's a horse mate.The magnificent turbo.when it kicks in i mean you'll love the way it accelerate mate.that's a kind of a car you've to take care of with love.

I bet if you've maintain it properly , you should be able to climb ambuluwawa on reverse .

Wait till harshan explains about 407...:):):)

yeah macho...not much traffic..but it takes 40mins in avg traffic and sometime 1hr for 22kms....

Exactly the same distances and times in my commute, actually a little over an hour in the morning. But the major jam is Nugegoda other than that, its pretty normal moving traffic. More a mixed cycle. No way I call it city driving. Thats the kind of fun that takes you 1 hour to do 10kms while dealing with traffic lights and 90 degree turns.