• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw 116I Problem

Rukster

A friend of mine has a problem with his car, a 116i. Please see attached photo. This happens when the ambient temp. rises over 30+ C. each day and as in the pic an alarm buzzer also sounds. Other than that the car runs fine. The car has been manufactured in Feb, 2011.

Prestige wants the car to be registered under them before having a look. Taken it to the experts and even they couldn't diagnose the problem.

Any advice / suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

post-45481-0-35566400-1349759001_thumb.j

Edited by Rukster

Can't clearly see the warning signs. I would just go for a resetting / upgrading of the software to start off with . Most of the initial probs i had with my car were sorted out with a simple software upgrade. But i guess, the easiest way would be to get it done at the agents. How much is the registration charge by the way? Didn't know they pulled of a D*MO

Registration charge at Prestige for BMW vehicles is Rs.100,000/= not sure whether this applies for mini too...

D*MO is Rs. 500,000 for Mercedes-Benz vehicles not sure about Chrysler, Jeep etc..

Thanks for the comments. I couldn't attach the original file so had to compress, hence the quality of the pic. Prestige is asking 100k just to have a look at the problem...

Edited by Rukster

Did he figure what the warning lights were ? Didn't Mil plug it into the DIS ? It should have popped up the error codes very easily

? Unfortunately post 2008 needs a slightly different type of cable - otherwise would have been welcome to plug it into the DIS at home and have a look.

A clearer pic may help to narrow it down though.

Hey MadMMX, Mil has tried everything in their control to diagnose the problem... but haven't been successful. Spoke to a few contacts at Prestige and according to them it’s a dynamic traction control issue, tyre pressure monitoring issue, SRS (Air bag) issue and it would even need a software upgrade. Still waiting on them for further info.

Edited by Rukster

This car must be worth couple of millions, pay the darn 100k and get the agent to have a look. I was told that the current prices of the agent are not far from the so called experts.

As the 100k is a one off payment it might be worth, once they register the vehicle they will have to give you an answer.

Since they are registering the grey imports I’m sure they must be having access to relevant data bases to diagnose the issue.

Better get that clarified before parting with 100k.

Good luck

Well these models tend to have a weakness in their DTC pressure regulator. If that is the case, the agents would opt to replace the entire pump, which would cost an arm and a leg. There is however a repair kit released by BMW for this issue.

My E90 also had a similar DTC, Tyre pressure sensor etc warnings popping out at one point. It happened to be the steering angle sensor. Since mine was under warranty, they replaced it with a new unit, if not the first line of defense would be to clean the IR sensor of the unit.

So basically, combined warnings could suggest various different issues, but you would be surprised how sometimes all it needs is a software reset/upgrade

By a software upgrade what they do is increase the tolerance levels of sensors to suit our conditions. i.e. temperature, fuel quality etc.

Best would be to get it checked with the agent, from what I know they will even replace parts sourced by us so you will only have to pay for labor.

One will have to keep an allowance for these type of issues if you want to enjoy euro or get a Toyota

Actually its a little strange but you can get a more accurate error code not from DIS but through another internal BMW diagnostic program called INPA - not GUI - its very text and indicator based but it probes out more error msg's that the normal diagnostics can. Wouldn't usually find this one at PrestXXX - but its on the forums. I use it my self for pre 2008 cars - works with the newer ones but you need a new cable which costs about 50 dollars to plug it in to the newer interface.

The deal at even at Pres... you need someone like Shavi to read the problems - before I went on that journey to figure it out, usually the normal mechanics there didn't have a clue - usually used to go call Shavi to figure it out. Dunno how the new guys is.

Actually the steering angle sensor can be re-coded as can a second hand abs unit. Replaced a couple of ABS units for friends, one a new unit from Singapore which needed to be coded to a E39 and another a second hand unit from UK for another friends E46. Mil had also wanted 80-100K for a new control unit :)

Its amazing what info you can find on the forums - but you need to be a little careful as with the non gui tools - there are different tools that can blank your ecu as well :)

Cheers,