• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Ee90 Distributor Platinum Point Timing Get Change

dayanpad

Question

Dear All

I have a Toyota EE90 (Carburetor Model) Low usage. Every month I visite to the garage and adjust the

platinum point Timing, then car is running smoothly. After few days car gets stop while running and

can not drive past , get missed and some problems while driving. as per technician, he suggested

to change the distribute. I also examined that the shaft in the distributer get loose

Please some one can give me a solution without relapsing entire Distributer assembly or alternative solution is highly appreciated

Replaced items Platinum Point and Capasitor

Every one won't belive, this car total mileage meter is 74KM

Thanks in advance

Edited by dayanpad

9 answers to this question

The mileage is probably bogus unless that car has a independently verifiable service history. To be perfectly at this point replacing the distributor with a used unit would be a lot cheaper than repeated attempts to repair it. The problem is wear and tear at this point is probably not related to just a few components. I think being a popular model they should not be too hard to find or that expensive.

Dear All

I also examined that the shaft in the distributer get loose

Thanks in advance

Do you mean that there is a mechanical play in the shaft? Then of course you should follow Don's advise above.

As I understand if you mechanic is able to adjust the contacts and make the car running "smoothly" every time then it looks more like you have a problem with the contact point mounting (Either the two screws or the base plate). If it is the base plate there is not much you can do other than replacing the whole thing. Also you say your mechanic adjusts the "timing". There are two things to set when you adjust a contact point ie timing and the dwell angle. Dwell angle is set by adjusting the contact gap (Usually to 0.5mm provided the haft is not worn out) and the timing either looking at the mark on the pulley or with a timing torch with the engine running. The other thing that can go wrong is the vacuum advance mechanism. Check if there is a vacuum leak. I have seen mechanics adjusting one thing to counter a problem in another thing (it's a general comment. Not meaning to downgrade your mechanic though).

Oops! I think I made a mistake in writing above comment paying attention only to "platinum point" part of the post and not realizing this may be a 2E engine with a electronic distributor. In this case please ignore my post and go with Don's advice.

The mileage is probably bogus unless that car has a independently verifiable service history. To be perfectly at this point replacing the distributor with a used unit would be a lot cheaper than repeated attempts to repair it. The problem is wear and tear at this point is probably not related to just a few components. I think being a popular model they should not be too hard to find or that expensive.

Dear Don,

Thanks for reply

I also doubt with mileage meter, but base on car condition, Let's we assume this car is low mileage . Therefore there is a no point to replace used item, used part may have same issue, else we have to repair the existing unit.

Please advice

Thanks in advance

Do you mean that there is a mechanical play in the shaft? Then of course you should follow Don's advise above.

As I understand if you mechanic is able to adjust the contacts and make the car running "smoothly" every time then it looks more like you have a problem with the contact point mounting (Either the two screws or the base plate). If it is the base plate there is not much you can do other than replacing the whole thing. Also you say your mechanic adjusts the "timing". There are two things to set when you adjust a contact point ie timing and the dwell angle. Dwell angle is set by adjusting the contact gap (Usually to 0.5mm provided the haft is not worn out) and the timing either looking at the mark on the pulley or with a timing torch with the engine running. The other thing that can go wrong is the vacuum advance mechanism. Check if there is a vacuum leak. I have seen mechanics adjusting one thing to counter a problem in another thing (it's a general comment. Not meaning to downgrade your mechanic though).

Dear Rumesh88,

Thanks for the reply

Yes I mean 1mm mechanical play of the Distributor shaft

As per your advice I went to buy a used Distributes and I inspected all distributed well, all shaft of them have big play. Finally i come back without buying any distributor. Today my holiday, so I started the car and felt the same problem, then I gently inspect the distributor and I removed cap of distributor. I sow corrosion on the distributor shaft. why it get corrosion???. The mechanic always used a sand paper to clean the shaft. it is ok but shaft get tiny scratch from the sand of the paper. so what I thought is. First I cleaned the corrosion using corrosion oil and used bra so to polish the shaft (spend 45 Minutes ). then I on the ignition. Car is getting start at once with smooth ruining.

Can any one help me what will be my nest steps

Thanks in Advance

You mean play of one mm when you hold the distributor housing and move the shaft either way with the distributor finger? That's normal. It is the first time I heard of a rusty distributor in a running car???.Is it the rust or the white powdery deposits on the finger. Can u upload a picture o your distributor.

I’m assuming you meant the angle of the distributor when you said “timing is changed”. The distributor angle can’t change if the adjustment screw is fine. Check if the adjustment screw’s thread is worn out first. You might want to check the contact point adjustment screw as well.

Secondly, I doubt a 1mm play makes a huge difference in timing. Besides, if all the distributors you checked had this play, then it’s probably normal.

Finally, why on earth would anyone sand the distributor shaft? The shaft has to be VERY smooth and lubricated (with the special grease supplied with the contact point repair kit), and if this was greased properly, I don’t think corrosion would have happened in the first place. The rough surface on the shaft might be causing the “follower” of the contact point set to wear out soon, rising the need for re-adjustment.

Just my 2 cents without actually seeing the distributor… Hope this helps.