• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Garage Experiences...

Saturn

Question

Went to a popular "auto engineering" garage along baseline road (Orugodawattha area) and asked them to install an RPM meter for me. They quoted around "7k and 500 for labor". Seemed a bit steep for a simple job but I figure I'm here and too lazy to do it myself so might as well. I've got stuff done there before and they used to be reasonable so I shrug and say OK.

Wait two hours to get a mechanic, no luck, so I step out to do some work during the lunch break. Come back and it takes them another 3 hours more. Final cost comes to over 9000 :P

update: I think I posted this in the wrong section - it should go in the lounge. Moderators, feel free to move or delete :(

Edited by Saturn

12 answers to this question

Calm down dear. This is one of our national traits. If you live here get used to it. It is very rarely we come across people who stick to their word. In fact this is exactly what prompted me to learn the art of DIY automobile jobs during my early years. My advise to you is if you think you can do the job yourself then spare sometime and do it. You can save time you spend in a garage and in writing this kind of posts on AL.

• Like 1

Just out or curiosity, is this the place that does engine tuneups, brake facing, etc? Was stuck in traffic the other day & was wondering if i should pay them a visit.

They started out with auto electrical work but now do everything, even painting vehicles.

The trend is to get a vehicle in, dismantle some parts, and then send the mechanics to work on other new vehicles. At about 4PM in the evening the finally come over and start fixing things.

Not everyone is really bad. I recently took my vehicle to another place to do some suspension work on my car and they charged only around 2500 or so total for parts and work, despite it being quite a bit of work (about 3 - 4 hours of actual work).

Edited by Saturn

Members,

I know this person very well for very long years, he started first on Panchgawathe road side small shop working alone, in few months had few semi skilled Electricians supervise himself. Expanded very fast one time had a mobile service also and few vehicles. If I am not mistaken he had a branch out of Colombo. Later shifted to the present work shop. With number of workers and a very spacious large work shop.

This is the reason most people fail, go to do big things which they cannot handle. They may have a vision, not having formal knowledge of management. Like famous pioneer auto detail-er and Darly road auto Work shop and few others.

They get expensive by increasing their repair service charges no proper supervision and top management of their business. Do not employ correct dynamic professionals, some times even after employing correct professionals, do not listen to their advices,. How to improve the business give a good service to customers.

There had been instance one forum member question me the reason that I did not build a empire in my profession. I did not answer for that question because I did not want to fall into the above said category. Although I had a training in a first class country ( Franchise course) for my profession and the early profession I did also. I went in a small way with limited staff, which I can manage to give a satisfactory service to the costumers who wanted my service. With my professional charges.

I advised to one member do what you can, do within your means, if you want to employ more technicians and number of assistants supervise all by your self personally. Each and every job what they do satisfy the customer.

Although there was criticism for my charges for the Automobile service what I do. I have carried on for two decades in this service in my country.

Had plenty of opportunities to serve in foreign countries, only did contract work for reputed organizations for a limited time.

Never wanted to migrate to a first class country to be a third class citizen. From this blessed country. Friendly helpful always smiling people.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

From a marketing perspective a particular garage can be the most expensive one in the country but as long as they establish their market position they will have clients. In doing so however, they must ensure that their clients get the exclusivity for which they charge a premium. Otherwise the business is bound to fail one day. Price alone, however, is not the decisive factor in a business. As for the particular garage in question, only God can save them from an imminent failure if they continue to what they are doing now!!

Edited by Rumesh88

From a marketing perspective a particular garage can be the most expensive one in the country but as long as they establish their market position they will have clients. In doing so however, they must ensure that their clients get the exclusivity for which they charge a premium. Otherwise the business is bound to fail one day. Price alone, however, is not the decisive factor in a business. As for the particular garage in question, only God can save them from an imminent failure if they continue to what they are doing now!!

Price alone is not the decision factor, but if you can get the same service in a normal garage for half the price, with the same quality, but lacks the AC rooms and large parking area, you will definitely go for the cheaper one and never return to the other.

Price alone is not the decision factor, but if you can get the same service in a normal garage for half the price, with the same quality, but lacks the AC rooms and large parking area, you will definitely go for the cheaper one and never return to the other.

May be true for you and me and lot of others but not for everybody. There are enough and more people willing to pay a premium for the service THEY expect. I do not know Mr. Sylvester personally, but he seems to be providing more of a personalized service for his clients and that his is marketing strength. Pl. take a Look at AirAsia (no frills) and Singapore Airlines, Elephant Corridor and Kandalama as a couple of examples. It is all about how you market the products and what you do to hang in there!

Edited by Rumesh88

They started out with auto electrical work but now do everything, even painting vehicles.

The trend is to get a vehicle in, dismantle some parts, and then send the mechanics to work on other new vehicles. At about 4PM in the evening the finally come over and start fixing things.

Not everyone is really bad. I recently took my vehicle to another place to do some suspension work on my car and they charged only around 2500 or so total for parts and work, despite it being quite a bit of work (about 3 - 4 hours of actual work).

where was this other place........mind sharing it for the beneft of others