• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steam Cleaning

SubZero

Question

Guys,

Have an issue with an annoying odor inside the car. Car was not used for few weeks and I was not able to find anything spilled inside either. So thought of getting the interior cleaned and came across this Steam cleaning service. (Didn't want to try out the "Appa soda" method mentioned in the forum since I couldn't find dampness inside)

I spoke to the people who are doing steam cleaning to find out if there's any harm that could be caused to the vehicle, since the carpets too have to be cleaned. They (obviously) said this is 100% safe.

If you have done this before please share your views and if there are any other alternatives would like to know them too.

Thank you in advance.

12 answers to this question

one potential issue is that steam can find its way into every unsealed nook and cranny of the vehicle, including insides of some electric and electronic components, and then condensate back to water inside those spaces, which could then be quite problematic.

Edited by HardHat

My wife bought a steam cleaner for the house a few months back and probably was a good investment on her part. I use it to clean the interior of my car and some parts of the engine compartment.

Generally,in the interior I only clean the carpets and the seats and door panels...i keep it away from the dash and any electrical components, switches etc. I have not used it on the headliner so I have no idea what will happen if you steam clean that. But our steam cleaner has an attachment for cleaning sensitive items so that might work..again never tried it.

In the engine compartment I stick to the engine block, firewall etc and keep it away from electrical components or anything related to that.

Edited by iRage

HardHat and iRage, thanks for the info. I'm particularly concerned about having to clean the carpets. Heat and vapor could cause rust on the steel underneath(so I presume).

Not if the carperts are dried off properly as it normally is. Only if water is left behind would it lead to rust and that also over a long period. Personally I think you are being a little overcautious. This is not a new method of cleaning auto interiors.

Not if the carperts are dried off properly as it normally is. Only if water is left behind would it lead to rust and that also over a long period. Personally I think you are being a little overcautious. This is not a new method of cleaning auto interiors.

Guess I was a little overcautious. I was referring to the floor carpets not the removable rubber mats, but that too wont be a problem it seems. Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll go ahead with it.

The water deposition in my case is not that much....after steam cleaning it just leaves a slight dampness behind which dries off fast...in fact by the time i finish the rear carpet the front is virtually dry, same with the seats (at least the material that comes in the RAV4..not sure about those velvet like plushy stuff from the 80s)....same with steam hitting the plastics..not that much moisture....sometimes if I hold the steam cleaner on one particular location to get some deep seeded gunk out then it might get a bit more damper than normal. But nothing that a little breeze wont dry up.

As The Don said...steam cleaning is not something new and it is not going to cause problems. As long as there is some sort of ventilation for a little while it will dry up. and I am sure these guys won't be dumb enough to seal up your car and then steam clean the interior.

Steam cleaning is usually best not attempted on a wet rainy day because it makes it more complicated to get the vehicle dried up. A good company will never take a car in for cleaning in those type of circumstances unless they have an alternate method of getting them dry.

Hi SubZero,

We use a steam cleaner (on our company vehicles) partially to deodorize and for stain removal to some extent. But I still feel a complete shampoo extraction (or a combination of both) is the best method. Both methods have to be applied on a sunny day and you have to leave the shutters down even partially for a further day or two for the remaining moisture to evaporate. You need to dry and get the water out no matter what method you use.

You might also need to check and clean your A/C system along with the shampoo if the smell persists.

You can also try applying a full discharge misting type deodoriser cannister which will empty itself within the car withing 10-15 minutes. You have to leave the A/C on and the shutters closed during the process. You have to keep the car closed for a further 5-6 hours for full effect and the chemical smells to die down. We have used Wurth and BG. You can have almost the same effect if you get a good bottle of vehicle deo and spray generously while the A/C is on. Meguiars and Autoglym work well.

You have to remove seats and carpets on some occasions and the seat material/ sponge if the contaminant has seeped in really deep. But that is in very extreme cases.

Please PM me the contact of the place that does steam cleaning as well.

Edited by milindu

hey please do let me also know about the steam cleaning places.would like to try it out.how long does the process take??

Got my vehicle shampooed and the problem was sorted. (Thanks Milindu for the advice).

Steam cleaning is offered at Au*o M*r*j. According to them it will take the whole day since they have to take out all the seats and do the work. Further it needs a lot of drying which needs time. If you are interested I suggest you should at least arrange some one to stay there, if you cant your self, till the job is completed. And also important to discuss the price before hand as, according to them, the price varies from one vehicle to another.