• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vvti Engine Chocolate Issue

PrasannaDs

Question

Dear Experts

I m looking for well maintained Toyota 121 these days . Got to know about the above Chocolate Issue in VVTI engines which has a crucial effect on performance . According to a garage man around Battaramulla the issue is prominent in most of the VVTI s using M*B*L Oil .

Hope the experts will give us a better view .

Thanks

Fair point but I still don't see much of an issue with that. Firstly we have to assume that oil manufacturers take into account that number of kms covered between changes are not all done cruising on a highway. We know that cos if that's not the case the oil would have turned into tar by the time we reach the next service. So surely they leave some tolerance for idling and 1st gear stop and go runs in traffic. But like you said we might encounter this a lot more often and the oil might need changing sooner. Still unless your oil has gotten really thick by the next service I don't see why you should do services sooner.

In my case I'm told the oil is good for 18k kms but I change it at 15k anyway and it still looks ok when it comes out.

Thank you for the comment. Still the question is whether 40 min to travel 10 km is reasonable for oil companies to assume. There is one other thing I need to mention. My usage is around 1000 km a month. So I do not see a point in using a synthetic oil for a usage like mine for I would hv to change the oil way before reaching the 15km mark (unless of course I make up my mind to pocket out the additional cost).

Thank you for the comment. Still the question is whether 40 min to travel 10 km is reasonable for oil companies to assume. There is one other thing I need to mention. My usage is around 1000 km a month. So I do not see a point in using a synthetic oil for a usage like mine for I would hv to change the oil way before reaching the 15km mark (unless of course I make up my mind to pocket out the additional cost).

You need to read your car's owner's manual.

Service intervals are specified according to driving and environmental conditions, not just odo reading.

For example, in my Focus, under normal circumstances (not found in sri lanka), the service interval is 10000km or every 6 months

For extreme conditions (stop-go traffic, excessive idling, hot and dusty environment), the service interval is 5000km or 3 months.

Even if you use your car for just 1000kms a month, you still need to change oil every 3 months or so.

Vehicle manufacturers have thought about this, long before you did, so stop worrying.

PS. I wouldn't run my car with synthetic oil that claims to run for 15000kms, although its a brand new car. I would rather use a good mineral oil and change it more often. Oh by the way its got a Dual-VVT engine.

Edited by Crosswind

Even if you use your car for just 1000kms a month, you still need to change oil every 3 months or so.

That's exactly what I do. I agree that vehicle manufacturers are supposed to think about these things before we do. But in that case there would not be recalls of certain models, would there be?

Edit: ......and of course cases like http://www.ehow.com/facts_7684327_legal-corollas-engine-sludge-problems.html

Edited by Rumesh88

I think while there is some truth in the fact that we should take the recommendations in the user manual, more often than not we also need to consider the so called "local" factor.

1. Very few vehicles are made particularly to the Sri Lankan market

2. The fuel in Sri Lanka is of poor quality (and don't we know it!)

3. Not all engine oils used in Sri Lanka are of the same quality and some seem to fare better than others

4. Particularly when a vehicle is bought second hand we do not know how the previous owner has maintained the vehicle

5 The oil filters used are of varying quality. I replaced an accidentally purchased Sakura air filter from my car simply because its been in the car for 6 years and I thought I should change it, because it still looks brand new on inspection. Don't know what it was filtering all this time.

The sludge problems in Toyota engines have come about even when the engines were serviced within recommended intervals. I do not think there is something inherently wrong with these engines, so the problem is whatever is put into it. So as such as always its best to err on the side of caution.

There was a certain brand of synthetic oil which was notorious for chemical break downs in the Sri Lankan market and its not the brand quoted here. Perhaps the brand has rectified this problem. So I have personally opted for good quality mineral or semi synthetic oil which is cheaper but change much more frequently and use either Vic or OEM filters only. My attitude is completely different for my vehicles overseas for which I simply follow the manufacturer recommendations.

I think while there is some truth in the fact that we should take the recommendations in the user manual, more often than not we also need to consider the so called "local" factor.

1. Very few vehicles are made particularly to the Sri Lankan market

2. The fuel in Sri Lanka is of poor quality (and don't we know it!)

3. Not all engine oils used in Sri Lanka are of the same quality and some seem to fare better than others

4. Particularly when a vehicle is bought second hand we do not know how the previous owner has maintained the vehicle

5 The oil filters used are of varying quality. I replaced an accidentally purchased Sakura air filter from my car simply because its been in the car for 6 years and I thought I should change it, because it still looks brand new on inspection. Don't know what it was filtering all this time.

The sludge problems in Toyota engines have come about even when the engines were serviced within recommended intervals. I do not think there is something inherently wrong with these engines, so the problem is whatever is put into it. So as such as always its best to err on the side of caution.

There was a certain brand of synthetic oil which was notorious for chemical break downs in the Sri Lankan market and its not the brand quoted here. Perhaps the brand has rectified this problem. So I have personally opted for good quality mineral or semi synthetic oil which is cheaper but change much more frequently and use either Vic or OEM filters only. My attitude is completely different for my vehicles overseas for which I simply follow the manufacturer recommendations.

Point very well said. If I may add a small point to 3 above, some of the product suppliers to the SL market do not bother to keep the quality consistent over a period. They change the bulk source without anyone noticing, thus compromising the quality of the brand that you once trusted. This of course is true other way round too.

Edited by Rumesh88