• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Do I Use "shift Lock" - Suzuki Swift

flashmark

Hi All,

I've a question how do I use "Shift lock" - Suzuki Swift.

I've to press the "Shift lock" button to change the gear after parking the car.Can someone explain how to use "Shift lock" and benefits of it

thanks in advance,

F

Technically you shouldn't have to use it.

Its there incase of emergency when you need to take the car out of gear and into neutral when the car has no power to run the automatic transmission.

Example: If you wake up one morning and the battery is dead, yet you need to move the car before you recharge / replace the battery as its blocking your driveway, you would use the 'shift lock button' to allow you to move the car's automatic transmission out of park and into neutral so as to push the car...

Technically you shouldn't have to use it.

Its there incase of emergency when you need to take the car out of gear and into neutral when the car has no power to run the automatic transmission.

Example: If you wake up one morning and the battery is dead, yet you need to move the car before you recharge / replace the battery as its blocking your driveway, you would use the 'shift lock button' to allow you to move the car's automatic transmission out of park and into neutral so as to push the car...

But sometime I'm expriencing that I've to press that button to change the gear even when car is in starting mode.Why is that?

But sometime I'm expriencing that I've to press that button to change the gear even when car is in starting mode.Why is that?

what is starting "MODE" ? If and when the engine is running you should be able to shift to D/R/N etc from P by just pressing on the brake.

An old fashioned normal key has three positions where you turn the key (a smart key has the same thing just that instead of twisting a key you press a button).

1. ACC (AUX) "mode" -> key clicks in to position, you will notice radio and some accessories work;

2. START (IGN) "mode" - key clicks in to position; you will see dashboard indicator lights turning on, fuel gauge coming to life, some cars the power windows start operating at this point; etc...

3. Engine Start -> Turn in and engine ignition commences...uhh....you will hear the engine start ?; key recoils back to 2nd position above.

If all you did was turn the key to positions 1 and/or 2 you can't shift the gear lever from P position. It is only possible when you take the key all the way to the 3rd position and the engine is running. It is designed to work that way so there is nothing broken or wrong with it.

As Kavvz stated earlier, the shift lock is there to shift out of P position if and when you can't get the engine running for some reason and need to shift out of P. That is what it is intended for and nothing else...

If all you did was turn the key to ACC (AUX) first position and then turn it one more to "START" which is the second position, then you can't shift the gear because the car engine is NOT running.

what is starting "MODE" ? If and when the engine is running you should be able to shift to D/R/N etc from P by just pressing on the brake.

An old fashioned normal key has three positions where you turn the key (a smart key has the same thing just that instead of twisting a key you press a button).

1. ACC (AUX) "mode" -> key clicks in to position, you will notice radio and some accessories work;

2. START (IGN) "mode" - key clicks in to position; you will see dashboard indicator lights turning on, fuel gauge coming to life, some cars the power windows start operating at this point; etc...

3. Engine Start -> Turn in and engine ignition commences...uhh....you will hear the engine start ?; key recoils back to 2nd position above.

If all you did was turn the key to positions 1 and/or 2 you can't shift the gear lever from P position. It is only possible when you take the key all the way to the 3rd position and the engine is running. It is designed to work that way so there is nothing broken or wrong with it.

As Kavvz stated earlier, the shift lock is there to shift out of P position if and when you can't get the engine running for some reason and need to shift out of P. That is what it is intended for and nothing else...

If all you did was turn the key to ACC (AUX) first position and then turn it one more to "START" which is the second position, then you can't shift the gear because the car engine is NOT running.

I just want to point out that the engine does not have to be running in order to shift gears.

The automatic transmission does require you to depress the brake pedal in order to shift out of 'PARK' and the ignition must be in the 'START' position, so as to shift out of 'P' / 'PARK'. But as long as the battery and the car's electrical system is in good order the transmission will cycle through the gears without the engine running.
However for ease of toubleshooting and to keep things simple; you might as well start the car and have the engine running as described above by 'iRage' when you try and shift.

You should:

1. Start the car (as stated above the engine does not necessarily have to be started to shift, but lets keep it simple and start the car)

2. Press the brake pedal

3. Shift out of 'P' / 'PARK' and into the required gear.

If you can't shift out of gear at step 3 something is wrong, for as stated above during normal operation you should not have to use the 'shift lock' button.

The most likely causes could be that:

a: You've got the 'shift lock button' confused with something else. (What model year is your Swift and does the Suzuki Swift automatic transmission have a button / knob on the gear lever that you have to depress to shift the car out of P / park? Is that what you are referring to as the 'shift lock button'?)

b: Your transmission isn't working properly and you should have an automatic transmission guy take a look at it. Its probably a relatively simple fix as the transmission is otherwise working fine.

I just want to point out that the engine does not have to be running in order to shift gears.

Kavvz..just for curiosity...

Could this be a design specific thing ? The only automatics I've used on a long term basis within the last 7 years has been ACA31 RAV4s, a 185 Hilux-Surf and an annoying Dodge Caravan (column lever); and those the Hilux Surf and the CaravanI know for certain I couldn't shift out of P in just the START position without pressing Shift Lock and in the RAV4 I could (discovered as a result of my weekly ritual of interior cleaning and shifting the A/T gear lever to clean the openings in the "shift-gate").

<on a completely humorous note and no disrespect intended to the OP...but wouldn't it make an awesome joke if the button he keeps talking about ends up being the brake pedal :sport-smiley-004: >

Edited by iRage

Kavvz..just for curiosity...

Could this be a design specific thing ? The only automatics I've used on a long term basis within the last 7 years has been ACA31 RAV4s, a 185 Hilux-Surf and an annoying Dodge Caravan (column lever); and those the Hilux Surf and the CaravanI know for certain I couldn't shift out of P in just the START position without pressing Shift Lock and in the RAV4 I could (discovered as a result of my weekly ritual of interior cleaning and shifting the A/T gear lever to clean the openings in the "shift-gate").

<on a completely humorous note and no disrespect intended to the OP...but wouldn't it make an awesome joke if the button he keeps talking about ends up being the brake pedal :sport-smiley-004: >

Possibly could be a model specific thing, not too sure really...

Kudos on the weekly cleaning! That's how I know too; via the whole 'getting out the muck between the shift gates with an old vest' situation! My cleanings however, are far more spaced out :D

Edited by Kavvz