• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Ex Or Civic Fd

JDMNitro

Question

Hello everyone

this is my first post on autolanka.com

my father want to change his car soon. we sold our corolla NZE121 and now planing to buy another car.

The budget is 4 million

his choices are the new permit lancer EX and the FD honda civic

Which is better from these two cars from comfort and performance area?

Thank you in advance :-)

23 answers to this question

Hello everyone

this is my first post on autolanka.com

my father want to change his car soon. we sold our corolla NZE121 and now planing to buy another car.

The budget is 4 million

his choices are the new permit lancer EX and the FD honda civic

Which is better from these two cars from comfort and performance area?

Thank you in advance :-)

Hi JDMNitro & welcome to the Autolanka forums...

Assuming we are looking at a registered FD civic as it is no longer in production and hence, not available on the permit and not the new FB series civic. If we were to take the FD1 (1.8L which generally comes with paddle shift, sunroof etc) & not the FD3 (1.3L Hybrid) or FD4 (1.6L) as they are slighty less powerful since u a considering a more sport oriented drive. I have also left out the FD2 (2.0L as I haven't seen any here) and the FD2R (2.0L Type-R which is not available in ur budget). The civic FD would no doubt be the better option in terms of comfort, performance & resale. However, the lancer which is mostly 1500cc would be more fuel efficient, although there is a JDM galant (same body as lancer) which has a 1.8L which I have not considered as u have referred to the lancer which is available on the permit.

Hold on a bit though and let the other members share their thoughts too..

Good luck with your purchase...

• Like 1

If Fuel economy is not your major concern,

like YRD said. better to go of a FD1. it still will be quite economical and fulfill your other requirements as well.

Good luck on your purchase.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies guys.

can you tell me whether there is a big power difference between a 1.5 Lancer EX and 1.6 Civic FD

there is little bit power difference between them civic have about 15 more BHP's than lancer.

• Like 1

Between the FD1 & FD4 get the FD1 it has a 1.8L engine and paddle shift which will make it a bit more sporty since that seems to be ur main requirement although as I stated above fuel consumption is a bit on the high side...

Good luck with ur purchase, post some pics when u get it...

• Like 1

I'd just like to add, if you're going for a FD Civic and you're not one of the herd that thinks an automatic box is essential, try and find one that has a Manual gearbox. It makes a world of difference.... Speaking from experience.

Gee no one is talking on behalf of the EX. let me be the 1st :-)

it is true that EX is less powered compared to the FD (1.6 or 1.8) but you have enough and more power to have fun when you are driving it. on the performance side it is very reliable (thus far). the current second hand quoting rate is around 3.7 mil for a 2008-2009 model. You can bargain and get a good one for about 3.5 if you are lucky.

On fuel consumption, mine does about 12.5-13 kmpl in and around Colombo daily driving (mine is a manual). One of my friends has a auto which does about 11 kmpl in and around Colombo. I have achieved max of 18kmpl on long trips but you can easily hit 16kmpl on normal driving. I heard the automatic does 14-15 outstation.

There are 2 versions of EXs interms of options. GLS is the fully loaded one with teak panel on interior and multi function steering, it also has the 6 CD loader. Other one doesn’t have those options but all standard options on a a general "full option" car is there. Earlier both automatic and the manual models came with 1.5L (110BHP) engines (4A91 if I am not wrong). These engines were originally used in Mitsubishi Colts in 2004-2005. New EXs do not get offered a manual option by the agents in SL the engine is 1.6L one with 117BHP.

Issues - There have been issues with the ABS sensors in the earlier models almost all of which have been replaced under warranty. Some cars got carbon deposits in the throttle body, which could be easily cleaned by deposit remover spray. Some has had radiator fan issues mostly have been repaired under warranty.

Check for service records before buying one from the agents and specifically check if these issues have been addressed. They will tell you if the car has and any major repairs done with. if these issues have been addressed (ABS sensor and Fan) there is nothing to worry about.

Let me know if you need further details. This is the best car I have owed thus far.

• Like 3

Gee no one is talking on behalf of the EX. let me be the 1st :-)

it is true that EX is less powered compared to the FD (1.6 or 1.8) but you have enough and more power to have fun when you are driving it. on the performance side it is very reliable (thus far). the current second hand quoting rate is around 3.7 mil for a 2008-2009 model. You can bargain and get a good one for about 3.5 if you are lucky.

On fuel consumption, mine does about 12.5-13 kmpl in and around Colombo daily driving (mine is a manual). One of my friends has a auto which does about 11 kmpl in and around Colombo. I have achieved max of 18kmpl on long trips but you can easily hit 16kmpl on normal driving. I heard the automatic does 14-15 outstation.

There are 2 versions of EXs interms of options. GLS is the fully loaded one with teak panel on interior and multi function steering, it also has the 6 CD loader. Other one doesn’t have those options but all standard options on a a general "full option" car is there. Earlier both automatic and the manual models came with 1.5L (110BHP) engines (4A91 if I am not wrong). These engines were originally used in Mitsubishi Colts in 2004-2005. New EXs do not get offered a manual option by the agents in SL the engine is 1.6L one with 117BHP.

Issues - There have been issues with the ABS sensors in the earlier models almost all of which have been replaced under warranty. Some cars got carbon deposits in the throttle body, which could be easily cleaned by deposit remover spray. Some has had radiator fan issues mostly have been repaired under warranty.

Check for service records before buying one from the agents and specifically check if these issues have been addressed. They will tell you if the car has and any major repairs done with. if these issues have been addressed (ABS sensor and Fan) there is nothing to worry about.

Let me know if you need further details. This is the best car I have owed thus far.

wow, thank you for the long explanation bro.

my dad said, the lancer is a bit hard to sell. is that true?

and super_natural - i don't mind a manual. but they are very hard to find :-(

True, but sometimes you get lucky... Like now for example..

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=115451

You are welcome mate.

There is nothing called hard to sell, there is a right price and a buyer for everything. For an example I used to own a Lancer CS. when I wanted to sell it last year, the 1st person who came to see the car bought it with in 2days of advertising. Previously I owned a Starlet and it took me close to a month to sell it.

If you expect to make a 500K odd gain on reselling the vehicle, EXs and FDs are not the ones you should be looking for. Even the Market friendly Toyotas like Vitz are loosing 2nd hand value these days.If you are looking to use the car for 2-3 years I personally do not think you will loose money on absolute terms with these types of cars.

The story with these types of cars is that the general public does not know much about these types yet. That is why people have allsorts miss concepts about these cars. Once these cars change hands more the true picture comes out. Same thing happened to me when I was trying to buy the Lancer CS. But now more and more people knows about the car and there is more acceptance, and thus the so called “Ease of Selling”

I am afraid mate it is your decision whether you want to buy a car to sell or to enjoy driving it. Hope I answered your question.

Edited by Harry (aq)
  • Like 4

thanks everyone for your time and detail descriptions. we have decided to go with a 1.6 or a 1.8 FD after thinking about it.

Harry thank you so much for the explanations :)

• Like 1

thanks everyone for your time and detail descriptions. we have decided to go with a 1.6 or a 1.8 FD after thinking about it.

Harry thank you so much for the explanations :)

You are most welcome mate. Keep us posted on your purchase :)

• Like 1

Hello guys,

we brought a FD1 1.8ltr honda civic few days ago.

the car is running is really good its wine red color

its not that much economical it does like 7 km/l (auto) but not a big issue for him, my father also like the car very much

i will try to upload a pic if he give me permission. just a ordinary stock civic

thank you everyone for helping me out in choosing the car. all you input for the thread were valueable

Hello guys,

its not that much economical it does like 7 km/l (auto) but not a big issue for him, my father also like the car very much

i will try to upload a pic if he give me permission. just a ordinary stock civic

thank you everyone for helping me out in choosing the car. all you input for the thread were valueable

Congratulations on your purchase!

• Like 1

So i am assuming your dad bought a 2006 1.8 liter. Because between 2007 - 08 the civic 1.8 liters mostly came fully loaded with a sun roof, paddle shifts, cruise control etc etc

I think he might have meant no modification... Something you have to specify when talking about "Civics" ;)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone

and yes what i ment was it is an un modified honda civic, its got the paddle shift gears and sunroof as rangerover said. and 16 inch original alloy wheels.

Hello guys,

Nice to hear bro... please upload some pics and share your experinace later

Hello guys,

congratulations on your new car mate and good luck.