• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advantages Of R-12 Gas In Your Car A/c System

Guys,

This is a small experiment that my cousin has done to his clients cars AC to get efficient results.

It was a maruti 800, and was the owner was dying without AC, compressor was worn out, cooler was almost blocked, gas was nil.

The cars AC system was designed like a mess. Except AC compressor and condenser all other parts are R-134 Gas parts. And was filled with R-134 gas too. Owner said it was cooling when he brought the car like one year ago and exact two weeks ago cooling stopped.

Gas leak was due to leak from the pipe line to compressor

After 2 days work managed to repair the unit (Compressor, cooler, ) replaced the drier(R-134), some pipes, and valves. And filled with R-134 gas. And got no result, system not cooling….!

Re flushed the system, change the valves, replace the drier again and filled R-134. And the car was cooling in the morning hours and during hot time in the noon no cool at all,

Now it took 4 day, having no option my brother proposed to change the system to R-12 Gas. And replaced the drier and pipes, valves accordingly. And filled with R-12 Gas, oh my god… car AC was Chilling…….!!!!! Temperature dropped in the cabin to 9c …….!

Unfortunately after about one week compressor was making a noise, and its clutch was failing some times. After full two weeks it is not cooling. So we are now at the same bad position again. Now we have to replace the compressor and couldn’t find a R-12 compressor, only found a R-134 compressor (screw type) from a buddy van, it was fixed and filled with R-134 Gas after flushing system and changing pipes and valves. Result was again no cool at all….!

And again we compelled to change the gas to R-12, over the R-134 Compressor with a R-12 condenser & cooler with other parts changed like pipes and valves changed again to R-12. and car was freezing inside after completion. Temperature dropped further to 7c in the morning and 12c in the noon.

Now after like 3 months the owner says no change in the cool it is still cooling to 12c in the noon……..!

Is it bad for the car AC system to run like this, does it affect the parts like compressor ?

Guys,

The cars AC system was designed like a mess. Except AC compressor and condenser all other parts are R-134 Gas parts. And was filled with R-134 gas too. Owner said it was cooling when he brought the car like one year ago and exact two weeks ago cooling stopped.

Gas leak was due to leak from the pipe line to compressor

Something doesn't sound right here or am I too dumb? Is it the original AC system or a something replaced later on. If it is designed for R-134 you have R-134 parts not a mix. Basically if the compressor, condenser and evaporator play their respective roles there is absolutely no reason for the AC system to fail. The drier unless clogged up would not get in the way of the cooling system. To me it the solution looks like "wearing diapers for diarrhea".

Octanehead is right. R-12 is CFC, which is banned in many countries. It was scheduled to be banned this year in Sri Lanka, it still hasn't come in to effect. Sooner or later it will, I guess.

Edited by Crosswind

Something doesn't sound right here or am I too dumb? Is it the original AC system or a something replaced later on. If it is designed for R-134 you have R-134 parts not a mix. Basically if the compressor, condenser and evaporator play their respective roles there is absolutely no reason for the AC system to fail. The drier unless clogged up would not get in the way of the cooling system. To me it the solution looks like "wearing diapers for diarrhea".

Not the original AC, installed in here by A*W or a local shop

R12 gas is bad for the environment guys, hence why its deemed illegal now! If you have a soul you would go back to R134

I have seen air con gas cannisters imported from China having R12 but the insignia says R134!!!!

I am beginning to feel that in SL what is illegal is legal and what is legal is illegal, considering many things!!!

Edited by CJ5

Members,

Dichlorodifluoromethane (R-12), is a colorless gas, and usually sold under the brand name Freon-12, is a chlorofluorocarbon halo methane (CFC), used as a refrigerant and aerosol spray propellant. Complying with the Montreal Protocol, its manufacture was banned in the United States along with many other countries in 1996 due to concerns about damage to the ozone layer.

Above is copied from the Web.

I am not advertising the below, this is for information of members.

I verified this R12 and HFC 134 Refrigerant gases. From the person that had been authorized, to do this project in SL. Changing from R12 to HFC 134.

He had been presented free of charge by National Ozone unit which is a Government organization.

Modern Equipment which are worth more than Rs:1 million. (1) Analyzer. (2 ) Gas recovery machine. Which is necessary for correct professional jobs.

The end customer HFC 134 recovery machine will be a benefit. So that he only pays for the gas what is used.

He informs me this R12 Is not allowed to import to SL. May be still imported to SL as HFC 134.

He is Mr. Rohan Pereira. His contact numbers are 0112303910 / 0777393608.

For verification and the benefits. Of the two gases call him to find out about the R12 and HFC 134.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Now after like 3 months the owner says no change in the cool it is still cooling to 12c in the noon……..!

Why the heck would you want to cool a car to 12c anyway? 18-20c is what most people in this country consider too cold. Bring the office temps down to 20 and half the office puts on jackets and jerseys.

Not the original AC, installed in here by A*W or a local shop

In this case you may have an issue with expansion valve or the condenser preventing R134 from doing its job. As for the use of R12 it was banned way back in 1st of January 2000 but allowed limited quantities for servicing until 2005. Please refer to the Govt Gazette on http://www.cea.lk/pdf/reg850-4.pdf if interested. Whatever R12s you find now must be contraband!

Edited by Rumesh88

I have seen air con gas cannisters imported from China having R12 but the insignia says R134!!!!

I am beginning to feel that in SL what is illegal is legal and what is legal is illegal, considering many things!!!

R12 was banned in 2000 with limited usage until 2005. What is legal one day is illegal on the next. Think of what happened to Ethanol imports recently. It is natural for laws to go on changing. Otherwise what is the use of the Lawmakers? :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by Rumesh88

R12 was banned in 2000 with limited usage until 2005. What is legal one day is illegal on the next. Think of what happened to Ethanol imports recently. It is natural for laws to go on changing. Otherwise what is the use of the Lawmakers? :speechless-smiley-004:

Yes I too know that it was banned, BUT it seems in China they still manufacture it AND there are people in Sri Lanka who import it and use it AND with all the laws in place to prevent the use/sale/import of R12, it is still openly being used in Sri Lanka and the authorities seem to have legalised what is illegal. :)

Have you heard of anyone being prosecuted for the import or the use of R12 in Sri Lanka??????

As for the so called "law makers" they are more into "law breaking".

Edited by CJ5

Yes I too know that it was banned, BUT it seems in China they still manufacture it AND there are people in Sri Lanka who import it and use it AND with all the laws in place to prevent the use/sale/import of R12, it is still openly being used in Sri Lanka and the authorities seem to have legalised what is illegal. :)

Have you heard of anyone being prosecuted for the import or the use of R12 in Sri Lanka??????

As for the so called "law makers" they are more into "law breaking".

1Kg refill of R-12 gas costs around Rs.1,400/- freely available at a shop in kandy town. its a Chinese made

As far as I know most R12 systems can be succesfully converted to run R134. What local technicians do is flush the system thoroughly and clean it well as the lubrication oil used for R12 is different from R134 and then switch over. My car was originally made for R12 and runs fine with R134.

1Kg refill of R-12 gas costs around Rs.1,400/- freely available at a shop in kandy town. its a Chinese made

If it is Chinese made, that price is OK for filling your old A/C.

Not recommended for modern A/C units.

Chinese will make any thing to make money for their benefit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

As far as I know most R12 systems can be succesfully converted to run R134. What local technicians do is flush the system thoroughly and clean it well as the lubrication oil used for R12 is different from R134 and then switch over. My car was originally made for R12 and runs fine with R134.

As Dons post confirms, that all A/C units have to be converted to modern R134 Gas.

If any one is using the old Dichlorodifluoromethane (R-12) is not correct in S L.

They are adding more and more damage to the ozone layer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

When I had my K72, I replaced the gas to R134. not changed any component except the drier. they replace the lubrication oil and full system flush.