• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Chaly

fiat fan

And yes as MD said the Honda Cub 50/70/90 is allegedly THE greatest bike of all times. Having ridden many makes and models of bikes over the years I kind of see the point now

My FIL has got an 80 Sri C90, bought brand-new back in 1980, one owner and still running smooth. I hope my wife will inherit it one day :D

Edited by HardHat

piss off Peri....lol...I was 10 or 12 and it wasn't as bad as anything you can imagine. :lol:...MD rode that Chaly like a legend!

I have to work down from what I've actually seen dude :D There was this teacher in school about twice your current size, huge black dude, Tamil I think, used to come to school in a Chaly. The bike literally wasn't visible under him from a distance. Looked like he was floating along in mid air :) Poor tiny little bike. We used to wonder how it came up the hill those days...

And yes as MD said the Honda Cub 50/70/90 is allegedly THE greatest bike of all times. Having ridden many bikes to-date I kind of see the point

My FIL has got an 80 Sri C90, bought brand-new back in 1980, one owner and still running smooth. I hope my wife will inherit it one day :D

Nice!

My father has a Super Cub 90 with 96 Sri plates, he is the second owner for ~25 years. Now here is the interesting part. The bike was manufactured in the same year as I was born, on the same day of my wedding.. My father took me to montessori on that bike, dropped me off to school van, then dropped me off to bus to go to the

University, then to my job, later on I took my wifey for few rides on the same bike around my village.

"Honda nam jeewithetama ekai" - need I explain more ?

Edited by NRX
  • Like 2

Hi all. Well I got my self a running example... the engine is superb.I beat a Pulsar without even tryng.the guy in it started to challenge me. But Im proud to say that my cf50 beat the 180 in one go. About the bike it doesnt have a single mechanical issue.just some wiring to be done and a paint touch up.. but Il be rebuilding this baby from scrath.and yes I plan to keep everything original.It doesnt have a book,but Ill try that lane. Or one person said you can register it as a new bike.(heavy fee will be so he said) thanx all. Oh and it was only 11,000.:)

Edited by fiat fan

Hi all. Well I got my self a running example... the engine is superb.I beat a Pulsar without even tryng.the guy in it started to challenge me. But Im proud to say that my cf50 beat the 180 in one go. About the bike it doesnt have a single mechanical issue.just some wiring to be done and a paint touch up.. but Il be rebuilding this baby from scrath.and yes I plan to keep everything original.It doesnt have a book,but Ill try that lane. Or one person said you can register it as a new bike.(heavy fee will be so he said) thanx all. Oh and it was only 11,000. :)

And here is a pic

http://i40.tinypic.com/2yxg29h.j g

49CC bikes were allowed to run without registration sometime ago. Perhaps it was the same story with this bike. You ought to check with RMV about the process, documents needed to do it and how much it will cost.

• Like 1

I don't know how many members here will consider Chaly as a classic but for me this is a bike that brings out a lot of memories.

I sure consider it a classic which brings back a hell of a lot of memories from my school days. My Yellow and White Chaly, 94 sri 6021, was my first mechanised mode of transport after the 12 speed Pebo racing cycle which I had before.

Back in the days when we were not old enough to drive, good ol chaly was the only run-about available for me and 3 other guys. We used to prowl around (at least 3 on it most of the time) areas around Kandy (not in the city) looking for booze, smokes and a special kind of VHS tapes :medium-smiley-037:

EXACTLY my story too!!! Only My three friends and I were in Colombo!!!! AND one of those friends had this crazy habit of riding on the pillion and bending over backwards which I did not know he used to do until we were stopped by the police who obviously had seen his gymnastics on the move and we got a good telling off!!!

Sorry mods for going off the topic....but nostalgia and emotions got the better of me here! :)

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 2

K9 make no mistake Chally is now an emerging classic, so with the rest of the 80's Honda minibike clan like the Dax, Paladin and Palfrey - remember those?

My second bike was a limited edition Dax - 105 Sri 2027 bought for Rs.12,500 in 1989. It had full chromium plated body, 4 speed with a clutch.

he.. he.. memories.

Back in the A/L days I managed to pursuade my then GF to climb onto the pillion of a borrowed Dax to go for a ride. The joy lasted only 5 minutes as her father chased us on his Yamaha XS250, stopped blocking my path and whisked the girl away. She was grounded for months and I was asked to stay away if I didn't wish to get my face and limbs re-arranged. He happened to be a 6'5" tall high ranking officer in SL Army and I well heeded the advice.

sorry, OT

Edited by HardHat

Once a friend of mine drove me and another two friends of ours to a petrol station at midnight on a re fueling mission :) The bike definitely had no suspension at this point, and while a cop tried to stop us, we just sped away holding on for dear life!

Wow... this thread is becoming a great trip down the memory lane... Now that OP has bought a bike and have his first questions answered, I suggest we keep going...

And I have my doubts about whether the Chaly is a classic or not, completely washed off. Let me see if I could dig up some old pics to post

Edited by k9master

Once a friend of mine drove me and another two friends of ours to a petrol station at midnight on a re fueling mission :) The bike definitely had no suspension at this point, and while a cop tried to stop us, we just sped away holding on for dear life!

whoa! you mean there were four guys on that Chaly? Not that I doubt if it was the case

whoa! you mean there were four guys on that Chaly? Not that I doubt if it was the case

I know man, two of them were 6 feet tall too. We were 17, 16, 15 and 15 so nobody had a valid driving license. The other three had come to my place to practice for a debate and around mid night we still hadn't worked out what we were going to say so the guy with the bike said he'll get some fuel so he could go home the next day (which was a Saturday). We just casually said we'll come with him and so the journey began, from my parents house in Mirihana Rd to Kohuwala 24hr Petrol shed :)

2010%5C07%5C21%5Cbikepics-2023471-320.jp

This is the plastic mudguard model. There was a metal mudguard model before this. That was the model I had and it even had a little carrier basket just above the head light.

Edited by CJ5

This is the plastic mudguard model. There was a metal mudguard model before this. That was the model I had and it even had a little carrier basket just above the head light.

CJ6,

Your may be correct. I remember once a tale drama actress met with a accident on Chaly bike Fractured her her leg.

Sylvi Wijesinghe..

CJ6,

Your may be correct. I remember once a tale drama actress met with a accident on Chaly bike Fractured her her leg.

Sylvi Wijesinghe..

Ummm.....Sylvi......I suppose what you are "trying" to say is that she fractured her leg when she had an accident while riding a chaly with metal mudguards, right????? :)

Edited by CJ5

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Sorry I could not update the thread for some time... It feels so nice to hear all those memories of us as teenagers.. Even I had some life threatning events on my chaly. Started with me friends and family going "you are going to kill yourself".Almost did once or twice,but thank God I'm alive.. so back to the bike..

I serviced the bike first because it had about 4 years of dust settled on it... Then I removed the complete bike to pieces. Well "chickened" it to be more accurate. Currently the wiring is getting sorted out. And next week it will be having a fresh paint on it. And then I will proceed to fixing new lights and accesories(non rice).. Will post pics ASAP.. thanx

Edit - any suggetions on a good colour??

Edited by fiat fan