• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Body Permit

n2rox

What is a body permit, can anyone please explain

As far as I know it's a special permit issued by the RMV giving an applicant the approval to import a complete body of certain models of vehicles (which have a chassis if I am correct) if the body is damaged or badly corroded but the chassis is intact.

If for example an applicant has an old land cruiser with a badly corroded/damaged body an application can be made for a body permit to import a body to be placed on the already exhisting chassis in place of the damaged/corroded body. However an applicant cannot import a chassis.

Of course rackets are worked out to do what one wants and even chassis are being imported by these racketeers by bending, twisting and breaking laws..

That's why we see for instance, quite a few late model Isuzu Troopers, Nissan Patrols and Land Cruisers (94, 95 models) running with old numbers (issued in the 80s) that would have been issued long before the vehicles sporting them were ever made or even designed!!!

If I am getting something wrong here experts please correct me.

As far as I know it's a special permit issued by the RMV giving an applicant the approval to import a complete body of certain models of vehicles (which have a chassis if I am correct) if the body is damaged or badly corroded but the chassis is intact.

If for example an applicant has an old land cruiser with a badly corroded/damaged body an application can be made for a body permit to import a body to be placed on the already exhisting chassis in place of the damaged/corroded body. However an applicant cannot import a chassis.

Of course rackets are worked out to do what one wants and even chassis are being imported by these racketeers by bending, twisting and breaking laws..

That's why we see for instance, quite a few late model Isuzu Troopers, Nissan Patrols and Land Cruisers (94, 95 models) running with old numbers (issued in the 80s) that would have been issued long before the vehicles sporting them were ever made or even designed!!!

Bang on CJ5

Hmmm.. yes I've seen a few vehicles being advertized here and there for sale as 'body permit' ones. And after seing the photos and stuff they looked like a whole new vehicle sporting an old number plate, rather than an old vehicle crowned with a new body. So what CJ5 says seem to make sense.

Ok so while we are on the subject, appreciate if someone can shed a light on

how do one apply for a body permit?

Can any civilian do it?

Can the whole body, interior trim, seats, instruments, wiring and stuff be imported or is it just the body?

Are there any service providers arranging importing of 'bodies'?

Edited by HardHat

Hmmm.. yes I've seen a few vehicles being advertized here and there for sale as 'body permit' ones. And after seing the photos and stuff they looked like a whole new vehicle sporting an old number plate, rather than an old vehicle crowned with a new body. So what CJ5 says seem to make sense.

Ok so while we are on the subject, appreciate if someone can shed a light on

how do one apply for a body permit?

Can any civilian do it?

Can the whole body, interior trim, seats, instruments, wiring and stuff be imported or is it just the body?

Are there any service providers arranging importing of 'bodies'?

Q.1

I'd call the RMV and get some idea on the procedure and take it on from there.

Q2.

It's mostly civillians who import these bodies of course there could be a few "general-merchants" also. if you know what I mean ;)

Q3.

I assume its for the complete body incl seats and the full works, but better check with the RMV

Q4.

Any used spares importer ought to do it for you.

Hope it helps eventhough its just my two cents. :)

On some vehicles ads they say "body permit"

what does that mean?

Members,

As CJ5'S post confirms, all about body permit imports and how importers miss use them.

Almost all old numbered vehicles with new body's on the road are with imported legal or not legal body's.

To my knowledge has to get the vehicle certified by the RMV after fitting a new body.

Registration book changes has to be mentioned the changes done.

I spoke one High rank Police officer, on this matter. He informs me that they are also helpless.

If they try to prosecute a person who had done this Vehicle body fraud,

They will get orders from higher authorities to release the vehicle and the owner.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks CJ5 yes I guess calling RMV is the way to go although info one gets from them is as clear as mud in the best of cases.

Is there anyone in the forum who has gone through this process of obtaining a body permit and importing and fitting one - all legit?

On some vehicles ads they say "body permit"

what does that mean?

It means that the vehicle has an old number but is a new model with all the whistles and bells and is very likely dodgy and is best left untouched!! :)

Also there are the "cut-buds". Most of the Minis that you see on SL roads are that. There are other models too. They have been imported into the country from Japan and declared as "spare parts/body parts" to attract a lower duty. These are dismantled and cut into pieces before being shipped out of Japan and are put-back and welded into place by the makabasses in SL.

Thereafter, in the case of a Mini, either a Morris Minor or Austin/Morris 1100/1300 registration (from a car not in use anymore) is fixed and the "cut-bud" Mini runs on the road and sells for even Rs.1.3m!!! Registration books of disused Morris Minors, 1100s and 1300s are available for about Rs20,000/-.

That's how you see 3 sri, 4sri, 5sri Minis with 1.3 EFI engines and tiptronic transmissions with a 18Okmph speedo meaning it very likely is a "cut-bud", came from Japan and is running with a dodgy number and has a shaky pedigree. It's very rare that in SL you will find a genuine Mini with a solid pedigree.

Edited by CJ5

interesting topic... i wonder if anyone has gone this route.. some personal exp might be benificial if shared.

for ex:- what proof does the RMV reqiure before issuing these permits?

do you just produce the reg book/doc as physical proof? or do you have to show/produce evidence of the chassis &/or the state/condition of the body which is to be replaced.??

or is it just an over the counter type of dealio?

It means that the vehicle has an old number but is a new model with all the whistles and bells and is very likely dodgy and is best left untouched!! :)

Also there are the "cut-buds". Most of the Minis that you see on SL roads are that. There are other models too. They have been imported into the country from Japan and declared as "spare parts/body parts" to attract a lower duty. These are dismantled and cut into pieces before being shipped out of Japan and are put-back and welded into place by the makabasses in SL.

Thereafter, in the case of a Mini, either a Morris Minor or Austin/Morris 1100/1300 registration (from a car not in use anymore) is fixed and the "cut-bud" Mini runs on the road and sells for even Rs.1.3m!!! Registration books of disused Morris Minors, 1100s and 1300s are available for about Rs20,000/-.

That's how you see 3 sri, 4sri, 5sri Minis with 1.3 EFI engines and tiptronic transmissions with a 18Okmph speedo meaning it very likely is a "cut-bud", came from Japan and is running with a dodgy number and has a shaky pedigree. It's very rare that in SL you will find a genuine Mini with a solid pedigree.

Thanks for your comprehensive misinformation.

Thanks for your comprehensive misinformation.

Ok...then how about giving some "comprehensive information" on "body permits and "cut-buds"?????? :)

There are cases where the whole vehicle is imported in a container or in a lorry.They dont have to be "cut-buds"

whole vehicle imported legit or not? Guess not as it does not seem logical if authorities allowed importation of a whole vehicle intact for the purpose of replacing a body on an already registered vehicle (or chassis in this matter)

whole vehicle imported legit or not? Guess not as it does not seem logical if authorities allowed importation of a whole vehicle intact for the purpose of replacing a body on an already registered vehicle (or chassis in this matter)

It's not legit.But the you can make it legit by getting an book & chassis from an old vehicle.

There are cases where the whole vehicle is imported in a container or in a lorry.They don’t have to be "cut-buds"

Then its a regular vehicle imported with the correct paper work and the importer will have to pay the taxes duty etc etc or else it's an illegal import. I too know of instances where the complete vehicle is loaded and then spare parts and various items are put in along with the vehicle to conceal it. There have been instances where such vehicles have been detected and confiscated by the customs. Just because such a vehicle escapes detection its not a legitimately imported vehicle into the country.

It's not legit.But the you can make it legit by getting an book & chassis from an old vehicle.

How can you say "can make it legit by getting an book & chassis from an old vehicle"???? It may look "legit" but it is not "legit" as that is not the legal way of importing and registering a vehicle in SL.. If a vehicle has been imported using dubious means fooling the authorities and avoiding the taxes and you fool them further by attaching a number of some abandoned or destroyed vehicle because the RMV will not register such a vehicle, and then you run it on the road and say it's legal that is fraud,deception and tax evation which can land you behind bars.

• Like 2

Then its a regular vehicle imported with the correct paper work and the importer will have to pay the taxes duty etc etc or else it's an illegal import. I too know of instances where the complete vehicle is loaded and then spare parts and various items are put in along with the vehicle to conceal it. There have been instances where such vehicles have been detected and confiscated by the customs. Just because such a vehicle escapes detection its not a legitimately imported vehicle into the country.

How can you say "can make it legit by getting an book & chassis from an old vehicle"???? It may look "legit" but it is not "legit" as that is not the legal way of importing and registering a vehicle in SL.. If a vehicle has been imported using dubious means fooling the authorities and avoiding the taxes and you fool them further by attaching a number of some abandoned or destroyed vehicle because the RMV will not register such a vehicle, and then you run it on the road and say it's legal that is fraud,deception and tax evation which can land you behind bars.

absolutely. I think as croocks find a hundred different ways to circumvent proper rules, regulations, procedures and processes to get anything and everything done in SL, the general public and sometimes even the authorities are so confused on what's legit and what's not. This is more or less the same for anywhere in the world but SL could easily make Top 10 I guess.

like totally new or new body. i didnt understand that mini example as i dont know anything about minis

This will not land you behind bars.All the Land Curiouser & ect that carries 32-XXXX number's are these vehicles.

This will not land you behind bars.All the Land Curiouser & ect that carries 32-XXXX number's are these vehicles.

Are you saying that all the 32- land cruisers that we see on the roads were loaded onto containers and imported without any body permits or any permits, and concealing them from customs were cleared without paying the regular duty/taxes and are now being run on numbers off some abandoned/destroyed vehicle and doing such a thing is perfectly legal in Sri Lanka and is not an offense to be landed behind bars????

Edited by CJ5

Yes.Most of them are.I'm not saying all.If you look at an land cruisers you can say it.

Are you saying that all the 32- land cruisers that we see on the roads were loaded onto containers and imported without any body permits or any permits, and concealing them from customs were cleared without paying the regular duty/taxes and are now being run on numbers off some abandoned/destroyed vehicle and doing such a thing is perfectly legal in Sri Lanka and is not an offense to be landed behind bars????

Yes.Most of them are.I'm not saying all.If you look at an land cruisers you can say it.

If a vehicle has not been imported through the regular channels, meaning with the prescribed paper work and also by concealing facts from the customs that a vehicle is being imported and if that vehicle has not been registered through the legally permitted procedures as provided under the Motor Traffic Act by the RMV (you cannot assume the role of the RMV and fix numbers as you wish from an abandoned or destroyed vehicle) then that is an illegal vehicle not permitted by the authorities to be imported into SL or to be run on SL roads. In such an instance the owner and/or importer is liable for tax evasion and depriving the state of revenue under the Import Control Act and Customs Ordinances, and for fraud under the Penal Code and liable to be fined and/or imprisoned under the Criminal Procedure Code and Customs Ordinances, which are laws of this country.

If you say that it is not lllegal kindly mention for the benefit of the members of AL as to under what provisions of the law that it becomes legitimate and legal and there is no risk of prosecution or being put behind bars..

• Like 1

Dude, just because there were loopholes that people tried to exploit and got things doesn't mean it was legal. A lot of those loopholes were found out and closed, so trying to exploit that *WILL land you in trouble. Just coz someone you know did it, doesn't mean its legal. So in short, don't talk rot.

*Disclaimer : Unless you have Family connections

Dude, just because there were loopholes that people tried to exploit and got things doesn't mean it was legal. A lot of those loopholes were found out and closed, so trying to exploit that *WILL land you in trouble. Just coz someone you know did it, doesn't mean its legal. So in short, don't talk rot.

*Disclaimer : Unless you have Family connections

@Batteries,

If you don't know what is legal and what isn't don't try to shoot your mouth off by trying to utter things that you don't know.

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 1