• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suv For The Permit

Guys, im looking to buy an SUV for the permit and below are some of the shortlisted ones, Current running budget is around 5.5 - 6 mil.

Kia - Sorento 2014 - Diesel and i love the look and feel. Yet to drive one though. Biggest worry is people complaining about engine troubles since its a 2.2L for such a big vehicle and resale value.

Toyota - Harrier 2013 / Vanguard 2013 / Rav 4 2013 - Dont see any diesel options from Toyota for my price range.

If i could stretch my budget like 1.5 mil,

Mitsubishi - Montero Diesel. long shot for now.

Appreciate if you guys could share some of your opinions and any other options which i have missed. Currently Sorento is on the top of the list. And x Trail , CRV didn't give much thought about those 2.

Guys, im looking to buy an SUV for the permit and below are some of the shortlisted ones, Current running budget is around 5.5 - 6 mil.

Kia - Sorento 2014 - Diesel and i love the look and feel. Yet to drive one though. Biggest worry is people complaining about engine troubles since its a 2.2L for such a big vehicle and resale value.

Toyota - Harrier 2013 / Vanguard 2013 / Rav 4 2013 - Dont see any diesel options from Toyota for my price range.

If i could stretch my budget like 1.5 mil,

Mitsubishi - Montero Diesel. long shot for now.

Appreciate if you guys could share some of your opinions and any other options which i have missed. Currently Sorento is on the top of the list. And x Trail , CRV didn't give much thought about those 2.

*** EDIT: DOH....properly read your posting only after typing the whole thing..but since it is already typed....****

FYI : The Harrier never came in a diesel.Only in a petrol or a hybrid.

The xxA30 series RAV4 came in a short wheel base and long wheel base version; where depending on the market they sold one or the other. US/Aus : Long wheel base, Most of Asia/Europe:short wheel base. In Japan they sold both the short wheel and long wheel base versions. The Long wheel base was badged as Vanguard (and name only used in Japan) and short wheel base as RAV4. The xxA30 series comes in Diesel only in the export model, but not in Japan. Thus, the Vanguard a JDM vehicle would never be found in diesel. Not sure if Toy.Lanka ever brought the diesel one to SL...but might be somewhat pricey.

In some markets the NEW RAV4 has already been launched...not sure if Toy-Lanka has already launched it....if you are looking for a brand new JDM RAV4/Vanguard/Harrier..be advised that a new Harrier, based onthe NEW RAV4 is going to replace the current harrier model around October/November and the Vanguard and RAV4 JDMs are not going to be there anymore (at least that seems to be the current plan). Good news ? Toyota Japan has slashed down the prices of JDM A30 series RAV4 and Vangaurd (probably getting rid of ex-stock); but also has only 2 grades now.

Edited by iRage

Thanks guys, Sorento 2014 model prices range from 4.9 mil base model to 6.5 mil fully loaded for the permit. For around 6 mil can get most options. Yes, Sorento 2.2L engine outputs like 197bhp where the 3.2L Montero only produces 165bhp. But people say due to this high output, Sorento engine might not last long. Need bit of a research on this.

Didn't consider Ford and other European options like Freelander (out of my budget anyway i guess) cz it seems their market value crashes considerably higher than the rest.

Vanguard, is a 2.5L petrol engine where might return only 6 -7 kml in city driving. And spending around 6+ mil for it , im wondering is it worth it.

Toyota Fortuna and Montero Sport, reminds me of double cabs from the same brands.

To be honest, currently i feel that im really biased towards the new Sorento. Dont see any other vehicle which offers its features for this price range. hmm ....

Thanks guys, Sorento 2014 model prices range from 4.9 mil base model to 6.5 mil fully loaded for the permit. For around 6 mil can get most options. Yes, Sorento 2.2L engine outputs like 197bhp where the 3.2L Montero only produces 165bhp. But people say due to this high output, Sorento engine might not last long. Need bit of a research on this.

Didn't consider Ford and other European options like Freelander (out of my budget anyway i guess) cz it seems their market value crashes considerably higher than the rest.

Vanguard, is a 2.5L petrol engine where might return only 6 -7 kml in city driving. And spending around 6+ mil for it , im wondering is it worth it.

Toyota Fortuna and Montero Sport, reminds me of double cabs from the same brands.

To be honest, currently i feel that im really biased towards the new Sorento. Dont see any other vehicle which offers its features for this price range. hmm ....

The sorrento is a good choice,

If you like it buy it coz in the end you are the one who will use it,

The Santafe is also a better option to consider

IMO santafe is better than the sorrento.

AFAIK The Ford everest is a Mazda based 7seater suv which is uncommon and worth taking a look at

Additionally there is the Chevy captiva which I don't know much about.

If so then the Ford Everest would remind you of the Ford Ranger double cab.

I don't know about the Fords but the Toyota and the Mitsubishi D/Cs have completely different suspensions (at least in the rear) compared to the MS and the Fortuner and the latter are much more comfortable than the D/Cs.

Montero Sport, Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest are made for lower income earning countries. They are not sold in USA or Europe.

Safety, Comfort, handling, built quality has been compromised for ruggedness.

If you are looking for a tough SUV you will not see anything better this side of a Prado.

If you want comfort, handling and built quality go for a Korean or a soft roader like CRV, X-trail

The Montero's diesel engine produces something close to 200HP. i dont believe in the theory that having an high output out of a small engine will damage it soon, i think its related to with the engineering and the materials used, plus BMW diesel engine have always been much powerful compared to a Toyota engine of the same size

Montero Sport, Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest are made for lower income earning countries. They are not sold in USA or Europe.

If you are looking for a tough SUV you will not see anything better this side of a Prado.

If you want comfort, handling and built quality go for a Korean or a soft roader like CRV, X-trail

Agree with that, one of my uncle has a Montero Sport, good SUV if you are gonna make hard use out of it

The Montero's diesel engine produces something close to 200HP. i dont believe in the theory that having an high output out of a small engine will damage it soon, i think its related to with the engineering and the materials used, plus BMW diesel engine have always been much powerful compared to a Toyota engine of the same size

Agree with that, one of my uncle has a Montero Sport, good SUV if you are gonna make hard use out of it

Agree that BMW diesel engine have always been much powerful compared to a Toyota engine of the same size BUT if the Koreans used BMW quality materials and engineering, their vehicles will not be so cheap.... Korean engines are known to give engine trouble after 100 to 150K thus why there is a low second hand value. Korean Engines are maxed out putting them through extreme stress. Wear and tear is higher than that of Japanese and European. Its fine until it goes but when problems start appearing there is no end.

The Montero Sport is available in Germany , in NZ as the Mitsubishi Challenger, in the UK as the Shogun Sport etc etc just to name a few. In the US it was available under that name and then replaced by the Mitsubishi Endeavor. So to say it was made for lower income countries does not hold water.

As for the ruggedness just watch a few video clips on youtube and the reviews by people.

The Prado is not much of a "tough SUV" than the Pajeros, Monteros, etc and all rank more or less on equal ground. The Defender is in a class of its own though.

For comfort, handling and build quality no SUV available in the SL market can match-up to a Merc, Beemer or Jag.

Edited by CJ5

The Montero Sport is available in Germany , in NZ as the Mitsubishi Challenger, in the UK as the Shogun Sport etc etc just to name a few. In the US it was available under that name and then replaced by the Mitsubishi Endeavor. So to say it was made for lower income countries does not hold water.

As for the ruggedness just watch a few video clips on youtube and the reviews by people.

The Prado is not much of a "tough SUV" than the Pajeros, Monteros, etc and all rank more or less on equal ground. The Defender is in a class of its own though.

For comfort, handling and build quality no SUV available in the SL market can match-up to a Merc, Beemer or Jag.

Anyone who buys a SUV with comfort as the main criteria should be a class A idiot!

and yes Prado isnt so tough as the Pajero, which is the most successful vehicle in Dakar Rally

Agree that BMW diesel engine have always been much powerful compared to a Toyota engine of the same size BUT if the Koreans used BMW quality materials and engineering, their vehicles will not be so cheap.... Korean engines are known to give engine trouble after 100 to 150K thus why there is a low second hand value. Korean Engines are maxed out putting them through extreme stress. Wear and tear is higher than that of Japanese and European. Its fine until it goes but when problems start appearing there is no end.

Till date i havent come across any Sorento that has done more than 100K kms, so lets wait and see

New Montero sport is not sold on any of the above countries except New Zealand (and Australia) where they need tough SUV ‘s for farm use. The older one the Japanese build one was sold in developed countries sometime back. (You need to get updated)

As for the ruggedness I have already agreed that the Monte Sport is tough.

Prado is one of the few SUV’s that still deploy a ladder chassis whereas the Montero moved in to monoque few generations back. If you care to google you could get information on what that does for toughness and off road ability and also handling / comfort.

Anyone who buys a SUV with comfort as the main criteria should be a class A idiot!

:violent-smiley-026:

=====<QUOTE>======

=====</QUOTE>======

Agree partially....the old Montero Sport (Mitsubishi Challenger), which was assembled in Japan as well, was marketed universally under different badges in Europe, US, Aus, etc....but since the Montero Sport/Challenger started getting built in Thailand <the intro of that model> it seems to be more of a cheap SUV primarily targeting "developing countries/markets" as opposed to an entry level/mid-size?? SUV that it it used to be. It has also been pulled out of the US and European markets (I beleive) with the introduction of the Outlander ? But an upgraded version is sold in Aus ?

However although it might not be refined in on-road mannerisms,build quality and component materials as other vehicles considered to be "JDM/Upmarket", I don't think it is any less rugged off road.

Agree that, Prados are not any much better or worst than something like a Pajero and maybe the selection of what is better might be more of personal preference and application rather than build quality, etc...and where design is concerned it might matter to some but not for most <again depending on the application/purpose, but then preference comes in to play as some might find for example characteristics of a monocoque body more preferable than a ladder-frame...especially when 75% of SUV buyers are the so called A-grade idiots who buy them for "comfort">

but being a fan of oldies, for me, the newer Prados are way too electronically gimmicky than the old time LandCruiser II and LandCruiser Prado early series.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Santafe though it shares most features with Sorento, it costs almost 1 mil more than the Sorento of the same spec. (7.4 Mil something full spec as with Sorento its 6.5mil for fully spec).

Regarding the engine durability, our old Rexton is almost hitting the 93k kms mark and still didn't give any troubles other than changing the speed sensor. Then again its a Mercedes engine.

This is for mostly city running and not for any sort of off road use. So toughness is not a major concern. It should be moderately comfortable and spacious. So thats why though of going for a diesel suv.

Prado i don't think can buy for the permit.

Disagree on this. The Range Rover is as comfortable as a Merc S or a BMW 7 Series. Build quality though we'll have to wait and see about the new models, but they have gone a notch or two up on comfort, handling and off road capabilities. The outgoing model gave the best of comfort and off road capability, although it had issues closely related to electronics which the latter models didn't have. Handling wise even in Supercharged trim it was like a huge elephant when cornering (but rolls less than most SUV's and cars).

Oh and I hope they dont offer the new one on any of these idiotic permit schemes and keep the exclusivity intact.

Santafe though it shares most features with Sorento, it costs almost 1 mil more than the Sorento of the same spec. (7.4 Mil something full spec as with Sorento its 6.5mil for fully spec).

Regarding the engine durability, our old Rexton is almost hitting the 93k kms mark and still didn't give any troubles other than changing the speed sensor. Then again its a Mercedes engine.

This is for mostly city running and not for any sort of off road use. So toughness is not a major concern. It should be moderately comfortable and spacious. So thats why though of going for a diesel suv.

Prado i don't think can buy for the permit.

...sorry for some of the turns the thread has taken :) anyway, seems like you have your heart set on a Sorento....like someone else brought it up buy what YOU want to buy as you are the one going to be living with it day and day out....also you seem to have considered some possibilities that fit your budget which seems to drive you more towards the Sorento....

Since you have some other options if you wish maybe you can just go to a few dealerships and see what the vehicle feels like, if you like them you will change your mind and if you don't you will only be more determined with the choice you have already made.

But, out of curiosity, if this is going to be mainly for city driving, would a diesel vehicle make that much of a difference? Would "within city driving" fuel consumption be so drastically different from a petrol that it would seriously positively impact total ownership costs in the long run when you consider the higher purchase cost ? <again that is something only you can decide upon>...I only bring this up as since you want a cross-over kind of thing and you open yourself up for a petrol some of the possibilities you threw-out earlier might surprise you...

Thanks iRage, yes as u correctly said, i don't see any other alternative which offers what Sorento offers in the same price bracket.

And for the petrol and diesel vehicle costs, Vanguard , Rav 4, Vitara , x Trail , CRV prices all goes very closely to the Sorento if not more. And with petrol 2.0 and 2.5 L engines, its highly likely to get around 6 -7 kmpl in the city where a diesel would do at least 1 -2 kmpl more in the same conditions.

I can guarantee that the prado is more comfortable than a merc or jag.. We have the prado 120, 150 and a new Jag XF and had c180.... C180 was the least comfortable and the 120 prado with fabric seats I feel is the most comfortable.

The prado is way tougher than Montero. things start to loosen up when in the monte after abt 50k ...