• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Scooter Preference

cmxjn

Question

Dear Experts,

I am Planning to buy a scooter for day to day use about 100 km per week, After some research have found these following options,

1. Demak 125cc - Visited their show room, A Malaysian built- sri lankan assembled, Good bulid quality though not as hondas or tvs. Specs are far better than the others listed here. Asking price lkr 162k

2. Honda Dio 110cc - asking price 212k

3. TVS Wego 110cc - asking price 200+k

4. Mahaindra Rodeo 125cc - asking 195k

I think a 125 cc engine would give a better pick up. Fuel wise all are pretty much the same.

Thinking of going for a Demak 125 cc. mainly because of their specs. The company had been around for a few years my worry is for after sales service.

I would like to know the experts' opinions on this? Thank you

12 answers to this question

Demak is not really made in Malaysia. It's not a reputed brand over there. There popular local brand is known as Modenas.

If i were you,I will go with the Honda, even tho it's made in Pindiya.

Use Google translator to read the following post about Demak country of manufacture.

http://malaysianbikers.com.my/forum/index.php?topic=68562.0

Edited by Crosswind

TBH, I haven't heard of Demak so can't really comment on that. And what do you mean by specs exactly?

The Scooters we find in SL aren't really meant for perfomance and all of them will be more or less equal in that aspect. Their selling point is mainly fuel economy. Since you're looking at Scooters, that is something you might want to look at for comparison purposes.

I have't heard many good things about bikes made in India and personally don't have a good impression of them. Out of the lot, I'd go with the Honda as Crosswind mentioned.

Alternatively, you can look at Yamaha scooters (I forget the model names) which run 125, 250, 400 (and more if I recall) engines. Cons: Mostly reconditioned imports, won't be as easy to buy as walking in to a Hero Honda showroom, won't return as many KMs per liter as an Indian.

Pros: Japanese reliability and consistency and build quality, Looks good, packs enough heat to put Bajaj Pulsars to shame on your way to work :)

From what i have heard from my biker friends is that out of the scooters you mentioned here TVS Wego is the best. If you are into performance you should get one of those 250CC Japanese scooters, ofcourse they'll be much more expensive to repair

From what i have heard from my biker friends is that out of the scooters you mentioned here TVS Wego is the best. If you are into performance you should get one of those 250CC Japanese scooters, ofcourse they'll be much more expensive to repair

what are the available 250cc Japanese scooters in SL market?

Im not sure of the exact models, i'll ask my friends though. But i dont think they are economical

They can be more economical than you might think machan.... The impression most people have of 250cc bikes in SL is largely based on the most identified one...the infamous CBR :D

However, the CBR 250 (until it's latest incarnation) had been a 4 pot, 4 carb sports bike. Revs to what? 17-18K RPM and was never meant to be economical.

The scooters will most likely have a single cylinder engine and more oriented for commuting and regular use. Thus will return better mileage, albeit not as much as a 90CC.

Despite having the same engine capacity, I used to get as bad as 12-13 Kmpl on my 4pot and as much as 35 on my V-Twin.

They can be more economical than you might think machan.... The impression most people have of 250cc bikes in SL is largely based on the most identified one...the infamous CBR :D

However, the CBR 250 (until it's latest incarnation) had been a 4 pot, 4 carb sports bike. Revs to what? 17-18K RPM and was never meant to be economical.

The scooters will most likely have a single cylinder engine and more oriented for commuting and regular use. Thus will return better mileage, albeit not as much as a 90CC.

Despite having the same engine capacity, I used to get as bad as 12-13 Kmpl on my 4pot and as much as 35 on my V-Twin.

Yep those Japanese sports bike rev alot, not to forget the awesome sound they make with an custom exhaust. I have a cousin who has a 250CC GSX, that thing probably sucks in gasoline as much as a large SUV :sport-smiley-004:

bdw those 250CC scooters aren't so slow, i bet they can beat those Pulsars

Yep those Japanese sports bike rev alot, not to forget the awesome sound they make with an custom exhaust. I have a cousin who has a 250CC GSX, that thing probably sucks in gasoline as much as a large SUV :sport-smiley-004:

bdw those 250CC scooters aren't so slow, i bet they can beat those Pulsars

LOL my 4 pot was a Suzuki as well :D a GSF though. And oh yes, the thing screams when the needle passes 10K RPM.

I hear that the Scooter scene is huge in Japan and Italy and modified to crazy levels. But I don't think that's what OP wants....

Like I said, a 125 or a 250 powered Jap would do great on the long run. A walk along Maligawattha, Kurunagala or Negombo should give an idea of what is available.

If interested, I can give you the number of the people who imported my bike. Tell them what you want and they will buy it off an auction in Japan, ship it over, refurbish where necessary and register it for you.

LOL my 4 pot was a Suzuki as well :D a GSF though. And oh yes, the thing screams when the needle passes 10K RPM.

I hear that the Scooter scene is huge in Japan and Italy and modified to crazy levels. But I don't think that's what OP wants....

Like I said, a 125 or a 250 powered Jap would do great on the long run. A walk along Maligawattha, Kurunagala or Negombo should give an idea of what is available.

If interested, I can give you the number of the people who imported my bike. Tell them what you want and they will buy it off an auction in Japan, ship it over, refurbish where necessary and register it for you.

Is it possible to import those 1000CC bikes and register them legally now?

I don't know machan...heard conflicting stories about the procedure and cost. No pans to upgrade any time soon so didn't bother to look any further.

But a Scooter under 250cc should be no bother to register.

I know the normal limit is 300CC but recently there were stories and adverts too saying you can register high capacity motorbikes

125-150cc scotters are the rage in India. Vespa scootter is the most sought after these days. Hero Pleasure,Suzuki Access,Yamaha Ray also has good demand while Honda activa/deo is slowly losing market. btw, these are all 125cc 4 stroke scootters. I hear LML still manufacture 2-stroke NV(Vespa license) scootters but it is not available everywhere.