• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Stock Bulbs Replacment With Led

D-Devil

Question

Hi Experts,

Been browsing the internet for quite some time to find the correct LED replacements for the head and fog lights of my Mark 2 gx110.

its pretty confusing cos the LEDs are based on lumens. Pls advice on the correct bulbs for me to purchase as i am planning to get them online.

Thnx in advance.

12 answers to this question

Most older cars use H4 high/low bulbs for headlights, your MK2 must be using the same.

I am yet to come across a quality (e.g. CREE LED`s) H4 dual beam LED globe for less than 100 dollars for the pair. By all means go for them if you don’t mind spending the money, but if I were you I would use a quality high output H4 globe such as: Phillips Crystal Vision, Osram Night Breaker, etc.. Give it a year or so and the price of good LED H4 globes will come down significantly.

Example below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NIB-Bright-White-1800LM-50W-H4-9003-Cree-LED-Headlight-High-Low-Beam-Lamp-Kit-/111187273908?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e34728b4&_uhb=1

Manufacturer specified light output of an LED globe like the one above is 1800 lumens (don’t know whether they pulled this out of the rear end or whether there`s proper testing involved), whereas a regular 55w globe is said to be putting out around 1550lm. Some high output globes like Osram Night breaker is said to be putting out around 1700 lm (I didn’t test any of these though, just off the net since I did some research sometime back). So in theory, you should be getting roughly the same amount of light output from an LED globe, but I've never tried them. As I said, I’ll wait for the price to come down to try and I`m quite happy with the Phillip Crystal Vision globes I’ve got on my car at the moment.

Pretty much the same story with fog lights as well. Don’t know what exact globes yours use, but personally, I use to run cheap H7 LED globes (with less light output compared to Halogen) on my car. Because I just used them as driving lights, not for intended purpose (fog/bad weather).

Edited by MrCat

Okay i can grantee that the gx110 doesn't have H4 bulbs any idiot can see that since its a quad light car

i do know that the Toyota Camry on the same year comes with H11 and H3 bulbs for the headlight and H3 Bulbs again for the fog lamp

Since the GX110 is sort of from the same era, might come with the same bulbs

best thing to do is to remove the bulbs and check it.

if you dont know, post a picture here of the bulbs

LED bulbs come same as H1, H3, H4, H11 etc but i haven't seen any for sale in Sri lanka though. best source is either ebay.com or dx.com

Members,

I have two LED bulbs from EBay, they have two set of bulbs for H lamp. Cost me Rupees 3000/=.

my7jAMi5jqvAhvKknqftVlg.jpg

I Never fitted same to my vehicle any member wants same can try out if you come to my place.

One evening after 5.30 PM, then we can change and try when it is dark.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

I don't know about the bulb MrCat has mentioned but the bulbs shown in Sylvi's post were bought down from ebay ( after failure of fixing HID without projector) but it did not give effective illumination on road. I think it is same reason (it may be work well in a projector kit but I didn't try it)

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

I never though I'd say this but...

You want to know what bulb type fits your car? There's an app for that!

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/tools-and-services/tools/mobile-apps/vehicle-light-app/index.jsp

Search google if the app doesn't work or you dont have a smartphone. Oram had a little program that tells you all the types of bulbs when you input your car type model year trim etc.

I don't know about the bulb MrCat has mentioned but the bulbs shown in Sylvi's post were bought down from ebay ( after failure of fixing HID without projector) but it did not give effective illumination on road. I think it is same reason (it may be work well in a projector kit but I didn't try it)

Charith H Jayasinghe.

I will fix one bulb to night and inform you the result today itself brightness and light quality. Can compare with the other bulb.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Charith H Jayasinghe.

I will fix one bulb to night and inform you the result today itself brightness and light quality. Can compare with the other bulb.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Charith H Jayasinghe.

I did as I said in my early post. I find it is a very good white bulb. Not so bright as HID. Good for town running well lighted roads.

I do not think this light will give required brightens in dark roads where you want long distance sight.

I am planing to build for that long distance 2 LED bulbs with 50 watts fabricated to a reflector.

Will inform when I do same very soon. LED bulbs consume very little current. I have all Led bulbs in my house.

CEB Electricity bill came down 1/3 of CFL Bulbs. Cost of LED bulbs are coming down daily.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Problem with automotive LED head lamp is with the increase of temperature(engine heat + heat from the diode) efficiency decreases(intensity decreases) and the life of the bulb also get effected. so when installing a LED head lamp proper cooling system must be used.

Original LED head lamp unit will cost you about Rs500000/=.

No point of installing cheap Chinese H4/H7 led bulbs because these bulbs will not produce any effective light. Just use normal Halogen bulbs.

If you really want to increase the power of head lamps use Osram night breaker bulbs.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news-and-knowledge/automotive-special/night-breaker-plus-limited-edition/index.jsp

Edited by peugeot407
  • Like 1

Charith H Jayasinghe.

I did as I said in my early post. I find it is a very good white bulb. Not so bright as HID. Good for town running well lighted roads.

I do not think this light will give required brightens in dark roads where you want long distance sight.

I am planing to build for that long distance 2 LED bulbs with 50 watts fabricated to a reflector.

Will inform when I do same very soon. LED bulbs consume very little current. I have all Led bulbs in my house.

CEB Electricity bill came down 1/3 of CFL Bulbs. Cost of LED bulbs are coming down daily.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

1. If the lights are good for well, lit roads and not good for unlit roads, then they don't serve a purpose do they?

2. If you plan to use the pettah-bought domestic use LED's you've being trying out lately it probably not be the best. And if by some off chance you're talking about LED's made for automotive use are directional. They don't need a reflector.

How is that even remotely connected to OP's Question or Chariths question (which he actually didn't even ask though you answered)

Gosh Sylvi, if there is even a little window to Boast about your life you will use it don't you -__-

The pic on Sylvi`s post, something similar is what I used as driving lights. Old/cheap technology and absolutely useless for any serious operation (i.e, headlights). Newer globes mostly use one LED chip incorporated with a lens(es) and heatsink in one package.

For the record, for some strange reason in my head I was thinking that OP is having a VW Golf Mk2. Hence the reference to H4 globes before. :D