• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Duty Increased In 2014 Budget

ramithad

machan what I wanted to point out with the numbers is that Aquaplaning is a special(extreme) case of wet conditions,but not All wet conditions cause Aquaplaning.

But I am no expert on thread patterns and tyre width to decide when this starts to happen.

The idea that thinner tyres always give more grip under wet conditions seems absurd.

bigger surface should allow for more contact with the road. less contact with the road means less grip and less stability(handling).

Any Off-road experts here want to explain the difference better?

BTW I don't like the way this thread is going completely OT. :sad-smiley-068:

Oh yeah, who exactly started taking this thread OT with his dumb rant about chinese and indian cars????

Don, we started off with tax, the Indian cars, aquaplaning, rabbit stew... I would think we have gone beyond post whoring stage now.. ;)

How on earth did tax thread become one of aquaplaning in the first place???

Importing aside, an alternative worth exploring would be to promote local assembly (at least) of better/safer cars. At least a portion of the production should be allowed to be sold to the public.

It all depends on how the taxes gets structured. If the top brass manage to entice a manistream manufacturer with enough tax brakes, the whole thing can create jobs, open another export and help a better/safer car match a cheaper one at price. This is going on the basis of providing a safer option to the general public as the primary objective of the government. Not squeeze as much money out of it as possible, to the point it makes no difference( I can hear you laugh)

If Micro is any indication, our leadership is far far away from anything of that sort :(

Machang, we are finding it difficult to maintain what used to be a top garment export industry in the world, you think our monkeys will manage with a tech heavy industry like vehicles?

we messed up big time and it will indeed be a miracle that will take us out of this hole we have dug ourselves in to.

Importing aside, an alternative worth exploring would be to promote local assembly (at least) of better/safer cars. At least a portion of the production should be allowed to be sold to the public.

It all depends on how the taxes gets structured. If the top brass manage to entice a manistream manufacturer with enough tax brakes, the whole thing can create jobs, open another export and help a better/safer car match a cheaper one at price. This is going on the basis of providing a safer option to the general public as the primary objective of the government. Not squeeze as much money out of it as possible, to the point it makes no difference( I can hear you laugh)

If Micro is any indication, our leadership is far far away from anything of that sort :(

The fact is Sri Lanka does not offer a good manufacturing base for automobile mass manufacture. Our base costs including labour costs are high, the population is relatively low (so employing thousands of skilled workers might be an issue), the political situation volatile and there are better options.

As for whether Marutis belong in the motorway, as somebody who used to drive a 1L Nissan March around British motorways, let me say that while crosswinds are an issue, the engine size or the size of the car is not a barrier for it to being driven at 100kmp (70mph is around 120kmh).

In Sri Lanka anyway the crosswinds aren't too bad so that can be discarded. Rain on the other hand is a big issue, so your tyres should be in tip top shape as well as the brakes.

As for safety in a crash, we all know this is relative. Some of the olders cars in SL probably offered less safety than kei cars, but as somebody said the best way to avoid serious injury is to drive safely, within the limits of your car.

Don, we started off with tax, the Indian cars, aquaplaning, rabbit stew... I would think we have gone beyond post whoring stage now.. ;)

Dunno man, I think we just need to let it go after a while :) The problem is while I hate to intervene, we can't set a precedent which might lead to all topics going OT if certain individuals comment on them......

Do you happen to watch Game of Thrones by any chance ? :P

Ah last week episode had a rabbit stew scene, thought it had some influence :)

Ah yes, the unbelievably noisy eating scene... the books and the TV series don't share much of the plot lines sometimes..... and we are OT again.... and hungry again..... :)

No no.... I had completely forgotten about that.

Edited by VVTi

Ah yes, the unbelievably noisy eating scene... the books and the TV series don't share much of the plot lines sometimes..... and we are OT again.... and hungry again..... :)

No no.... I had completely forgotten about that.

Rabbit seems to be favorite though. There was an issue involving a hunted rabbit on The Walking Dead :D

PS; this thread is doomed!

Guys, I need to ask this from you, as long standing members. Please please please, do not take threads OT. We all like a bit of fun and a bit of banter but we need to kind of have these discussions in the appropriate threads.

Thats what the lounge and post whoring threads are for, which are open to any sort of discussion.

I don't want to have to keep locking threads, so as responsible adults I ask you guys to show some consideration :)

Else this will become like a gossip forum of old as well.........

Again government is getting ready for the next duty hike for cars. This time it effects to the hybrid vehicles. according to the information i had CID (customs import duty) increased so that aqua will go up by around 300,000. Increase of the prius would be higher. i created this original topic before media informed last duty hike.

According to the information i had, this increase would be effect within two weeks.

Again government is getting ready for the next duty hike for cars. This time it effects to the hybrid vehicles. according to the information i had CID (customs import duty) increased so that aqua will go up by around 300,000. Increase of the prius would be higher. i created this original topic before media informed last duty hike.

According to the information i had, this increase would be effect within two weeks.

Only hybrids?

Good!

Seriously? original topic?? hiken puna topic!!!

Anyway what's your source btw? I think you are lying!! My brother's classmate's dad's sister's neighbor works in the customs and he has said that the duty is going DOWN! And these changes will take effect in 145 days in par with the WTO -WWF pact on emissions. So those who are planning to buy a hybrid, please wait 146 days! Because the market will crash, and hybrids will be dirt cheap! Most importantly, dont beleive ramithad!

Seriously? original topic?? hiken puna topic!!!

Anyway what's your source btw? I think you are lying!! My brother's classmate's dad's sister's neighbor works in the customs and he has said that the duty is going DOWN! And these changes will take effect in 145 days in par with the WTO -WWF pact on emissions. So those who are planning to buy a hybrid, please wait 146 days! Because the market will crash, and hybrids will be dirt cheap! Most importantly, dont beleive ramithad!

Hmm..ramithad could be right for a change perhaps. After reading through the article http://www.dailynews.lk/?q=local/gas-2016 I too get the feeling that GOSL wouldn't want some more hybrids here to kill the market for their petroleum after 2016. :sleeping-smiley-008:

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm..ramithad could be right for a change perhaps. After reading through the article http://www.dailynews.lk/?q=local/gas-2016 I too get the feeling that GOSL wouldn't want some more hybrids here to kill the market for their petroleum after 2016. :sleeping-smiley-008:

No mate. It's highly unlikely that the local hybrid hype will ever make an impact on the local gas market since the majority of petrolium product consumers are public transport(not private) and thermal power generation by CEB and IPP. So the petrolium market will never ever collapse only due to hybrids with all the non-hybrid vehicles on the road ;)

No mate. It's highly unlikely that the local hybrid hype will ever make an impact on the local gas market since the majority of petrolium product consumers are public transport(not private) and thermal power generation by CEB and IPP. So the petrolium market will never ever collapse only due to hybrids with all the non-hybrid vehicles on the road ;)

Just a reverie. Must be something I ate.

• 4 months later...
try this.

http://vial.lk/fob_front_list.php?make=pls%20enter&model=&hs=&seq_no

This was correct when the importers and customs were nice to each other.

After customs went to war with importers over valuations recently not sure how accurate these values are though

Thanks ! However just by simply comparing the two lists the ones on through the that link don't seem to be up to date....Well..will have to give them a call I guess...

Edited by iRage